Mock
Nurse refuses to give CPR - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Discussions, Opinions & Debate (https://mockforums.net/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Nurse refuses to give CPR (/thread-9757.html)

Pages: 1 2

Nurse refuses to give CPR - username - 03-04-2013

I'm sure you've heard this on the news today. WTF? I listened to the 911 call and I wanted to cut that damn nurse. Her employer is (so far) standing by her and their policies!

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=general&catid=57572300&feed_id=999&videofeed=999

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Jimbone - 03-04-2013

This one puzzles me, because the woman lived on the independent side of the facility... I can't believe they would have a blanket DNR policy that covers even those seniors who are able to fully take care of themselves.

If nothing else, anyone who might have been considering independent living there might change their mind.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Maggot - 03-04-2013

Its like Custers last stand.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - ramseycat - 03-04-2013

I saw this on the news and couldn't believe it. How could that lady educated and trained to take care of the sick let that lady die??? This whole thing really concerned me because my brother is in a nursing home. I want to discuss this with his nurse.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - sally - 03-04-2013

(03-04-2013, 09:09 PM)ramseycat Wrote: I saw this on the news and couldn't believe it. How could that lady educated and trained to take care of the sick let that lady die??? This whole thing really concerned me because my brother is in a nursing home. I want to discuss this with his nurse.

I'm pretty sure in a nursing home they have to perform CPR unless there is a DNR order, but this was an independent facility so I don't understand why they even had a nurse there in the first place. What the fuck good is she, obviously none. So I don't really understand why they would have a nurse there with a blanket DNR policy.

My mom lived at an independent facility for a few months and it's basically just an apartment complex that has senior activities and security 24/7. If you don't call the office by 2pm they will come and check on you and call 911 if needed, but there is no trained medical staff there.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Maggot - 03-04-2013

Anyone with a right mind set would have tried to help that lady. But she may have been sent there by her own family and they never visit. It is a stain on the country for families to just walk away from their older relatives. They are the real treasure, not money.

The desperation/frustration in the dispatchers voice is almost hard to listen to... I really wonder how that nurse will sleep at night. She stood by and watched someone die, while someone was on the phone pleading with them to help - or at least get someone else to help.

Some policies aren't worth a damn... and they certainly aren't worth a damn job. This is one of them.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - username - 03-04-2013

(03-04-2013, 10:25 PM)Jimbone Wrote: The desperation/frustration in the dispatchers voice is almost hard to listen to... I really wonder how that nurse will sleep at night. She stood by and watched someone die, while someone was on the phone pleading with them to help - or at least get someone else to help.

Some policies aren't worth a damn... and they certainly aren't worth a damn job. This is one of them.

Word. I don't know how that woman justified in her mind not attempting CPR.

(03-04-2013, 11:03 PM)username Wrote: Word. I don't know how that woman justified in her mind not attempting CPR.

Not just any woman... and nurse who is trained to help the sick! WTF did she think was going to happen when she dialed 9-1-1?

I feel really bad for the dispatcher. The stress that she was under, and then having to live with the outcome will be difficult for her as well.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - username - 03-04-2013

(03-04-2013, 11:08 PM)Jimbone Wrote:
(03-04-2013, 11:03 PM)username Wrote: Word. I don't know how that woman justified in her mind not attempting CPR.

Not just any woman... and nurse who is trained to help the sick! WTF did she think was going to happen when she dialed 9-1-1?

I feel really bad for the dispatcher. The stress that she was under, and then having to live with the outcome will be difficult for her as well.

The dispatcher should feel proud. She did everything she could. If I were her I'd hate that nurse with all of my being.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Duchess - 03-05-2013

A lot of people are talking about this story & everyone shares the same reaction - outrage. People will remember this & no one will want a loved one placed there.

CPR is very hard on a body and more so on an elderly person, the act alone could kill them. I'm not defending the facility, I'm as outraged as you all are, I'm just sayin'.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - ramseycat - 03-05-2013

What disturbs me the most us how calm the nurse was. I might have a little sympathy for her if she showed any emotion at all. Or said I want to help but we are not allowed. She was calm as can be and just stated no I can't do CPR.

I heard in the news that the authorities are looking into the possibility of criminal charges.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - username - 03-05-2013

Holy shit! That's twice in a week that Ramsey made a good point.

The dispatcher was more panicked than the damn nurse watching the lady die.

What was my other good point according to you? Lol

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - username - 03-05-2013

(03-05-2013, 12:31 PM)ramseycat Wrote: What was my other good point? Lol

Taking responsibility for oneself in the drunk driving thread. Smiley_emoticons_slash

Ah yes. I have my moments User. Lol

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Duchess - 03-05-2013

I'd risk my job to try & save a life. I'm all about how I feel and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I stood there and did nothing.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - BlueTiki - 03-05-2013

(03-04-2013, 09:24 PM)sally Wrote: . . . I don't understand why they even had a nurse there in the first place. What the fuck good is she, obviously none.

It's window dressing to encourage clients.

Strictly a marketing ploy.

"We are an upscale, top-shelf, luxurious community. Along with the double-ply toilet paper in your rooms, we have a nurse on staff who will gladly call 911 in case of an emergency while watching you suffer and die."

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Misguided - 03-05-2013

Consider this,...most all nursing homes or facilities will ask you during your admission if you wish be a "Code" or "No Code",which is the DNR order spoke of earlier.
If this person had a "No Code",it would have been the Nurses responsbility to honor that wish.
It would also been her responsibility not to discuss that with anyone other than specifically approved people.The 911 dispatcher is not one of those ,either is any bystanders.

RE: Nurse refuses to give CPR - Midwest Spy - 03-05-2013

(03-05-2013, 07:59 PM)Misguided Wrote: Consider this,...most all nursing homes or facilities will ask you during your admission if you wish be a "Code" or "No Code",which is the DNR order spoke of earlier.
If this person had a "No Code",it would have been the Nurses responsbility to honor that wish.
It would also been her responsibility not to discuss that with anyone other than specifically approved people.The 911 dispatcher is not one of those ,either is any bystanders.

Very true, Misguided.

My grandmother has a 'no code' in place at her facility.