Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
THANKSGIVING WEEK
I got a call from my son's high school yesterday. They have a turkey basket for me. I said I didn't request holiday help, we don't need it. They said it's a new program this year, that if your child has an IEP, you automatically get a basket. I said I really didn't need the help, and was there another family perhaps more deserving. They said if I didn't come and get it, they would have to throw it out.

My ex-husband got the same phone call, with pretty much the same scenario, and he was told the same thing, come and get it, or we throw it out.

What the fuck?

Maybe your church can suggest a family who would welcome it.

Pretty sucky the school would say they will throw it out if you don't come & get it.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-21-2014, 06:38 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Maybe your church can suggest a family who would welcome it.

Pretty sucky the school would say they will throw it out if you don't come & get it.

I actually placed a call to my local food pantry. They do have a waiting list of families, so I am going to bring it to them as soon as I get it.

I was in total awe of the mindset of these people. Just because my kid is autistic, I must be poor?
Normally I don't care about stuff like that, but I think that would piss me off. I'd probably write a sarcastic letter to the school.

People presume way too fuckin' much. There is a tremendous difference between thinking you know something and actually knowing something.
(11-21-2014, 07:19 AM)cannongal Wrote: I was in total awe of the mindset of these people. Just because my kid is autistic, I must be poor?

Amen, sister. Quite the contrary. My husband is going back east to visit my daughter for Thanksgiving. All told that will be the sixth trip back there between us in about 10 weeks. At around $3k a trip (at least, depending on the length of the trip), this shit is getting really expensive.

They should be giving the meals to the families that qualify for free/reduced lunches and stuff. That's an indicator of financial ability.

Around here, even obtaining an IEP isn't necessarily cheap. We've hired both an advocate and an attorney to get the job done. Jesus.

Everyone is up in arms about the cost of a college tuition (myself included) but I read in the paper this morning that the annual cost for UC tuition is going up to about $15,500/yr. My perspective is so warped I briefly thought that sounded really cheap to me.

My insurance company won't accept an invoice from the hospital where my daughter is staying until she leaves. We have to pay week-to-week, out of pocket, until she checks out. It's nucking futs.
Commando Cunt Queen
(11-21-2014, 11:55 AM)Duchess Wrote:

People presume way too fuckin' much. There is a tremendous difference between thinking you know something and actually knowing something.

Not only that, but they're going to just throw it away if she doesn't pick it up. How come they can't get off their fat asses and drop it off at homeless shelter or food pantry, it has to be her burden now to find someone to take the crappy turkey.
An apple pie recipe:

Filling Ingredients:

3 Apples, peeled cored and sliced
2C Potato starch (may substitute 1 1/2C Locust Bean Gum)
1/4C Cellulose powder
1/4C Lecithin
2C Xylitol
2t Lactic acid
2t Ascorbic acid, to preserve color
1C Sucralose
1C Cinnamon
1T Dehydrated garlic
3T Natamycin, a mold inhibitor
2T Annatto
4T Chili powder
2t Sodium Benzoate
1t Monosodium Glutamate
1/8t Disodium Inosinate
1/8t Disodium Guanylate
1t Vegan red food color
1t Azodicarbonamide
2T Simethicone, foam inhibitor

Crust:

4C Coarse ground quinoa
1T Fumeric acid
1t Vegan margarine
1t Kosher salt
1t Distilled water
1C whole walnuts with shell

Mix. Roll. Fill. Bake. Eat. Simple.

425 degrees for 85 minutes
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

That looks like a lot of work. I'll pay the Amish bitches for one or three.

Just so you know, I know fumeric acid isn't an ingredient for pie crust.
(11-21-2014, 12:44 PM)Duchess Wrote:

That looks like a lot of work. I'll pay the Amish bitches for one or three.

Just so you know, I know fumeric acid isn't an ingredient for pie crust.

Listen what would you rather have, a pie with all those ingredients from the frozen food section or the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself?
You must work in a Hostess fruit pie factory, Maggot.
(11-21-2014, 12:53 PM)sally Wrote: You must work in a Hostess fruit pie factory, Maggot.

I do get a little fruity around the holidays. Love025
(11-21-2014, 12:50 PM)Maggot Wrote: Listen what would you rather have, a pie with all those ingredients from the frozen food section or the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself?

I won't serve anything from the frozen food section, I promise. I'll buy the Amish pies, bring them home and put them in my own lovely pie plates. No one will ever know. Smiley_emoticons_wink
They make commercials about people like you.
(11-21-2014, 01:27 PM)Maggot Wrote: They make commercials about people like you.

I treat cooking like I do everything else, if I can't get it accomplished myself either because of time constraints or I don't know how (or want) to do it then I hire someone who can. That's smurt.
I bought my Turkey today 18lbs. It will go well with my 18lbs pan.
Got a 24 and a 13, big one is getting smoked and the small one is getting fried.
$250 at the Grocery so far and at least 1 more trip to go.
18 people confirmed
One of the best Thanksgivings I experienced was in Cabo a couple of years ago. No cooking, no clean up, a beautiful beach view. *sigh*

I can't complain too much. My mom will cook most everything but I'll end up doing most of the dish dogging/putting away leftovers. Somehow my sister always seems to disappear around that time. 52 My SIL and I end up doing all the work and ragging on my sister while we do it. It's all very predictable at least.
Commando Cunt Queen

My game comes on at 4:30 and I don't want to be talked at while it's on. I need all my concentration and focus on insuring a win. They need me.
(11-17-2014, 10:07 PM)Carsman Wrote: We're braving the cold here to continue on with our traditional family Thanksgiving Dinner at out house! Too much food, and too many deserts, plenty of refreshments, as usual, and that's what make it a fun time for all.
(lately each year, it always seems to be a few less)

It will be a sad Thanksgiving for us this year, as our daughter's beautiful Westie (like part of the family) died yesterday. He had been part of our Thanksgiving dinner's for the last "14" years. And every year, myself & my betterhalf would always get in trouble with our daughter for over feeding him with turkey, mashed potatos, apple pie, and anything else he liked.
We won't be in trouble this year, so very sad! (Things are a little blurry right now, gotta go)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!