Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the ancients know more than we do?
In the history of mathematics, the credit for the discovery of the study of combinations and permutations (set theory and statistics) is usually given to Pascal (Pascal's Triangle gives partitions/permutations). If you want to be more technical, you can include the I Ching's (2800BCE) permutations of the yin, yang symbols (Dharma logo for the LOST fans), even though the I Ching doesn't lay out the math.

I found this in the Sepher Yetzirah "The Book of Formation" from around 3CE:

Two Letters produce two houses; three form six; four form twenty-four; five form one hundred and twenty; six form seven hundred and twenty; (39) seven form five thousand and forty; and beyond this their numbers increase so that the mouth can hardly utter them, nor the ear hear the number of them. So now, behold the Stars of our World, the Planets which are Seven; the Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter and Mars. The Seven are also the Seven Days of Creation; and the Seven Gateways of the Soul of Man--the two eyes, the two ears, the mouth and the two nostrils. So with the Seven are formed the seven heavens, (41) the seven earths, and the seven periods of time; and so has He preferred the number Seven above all things under His Heaven.

If you do the math, the permutations are correct:

2 letters= 2 permutations, or 2!
3 letters= 6 permutations, or 3! (3x2x1=6)
4 letters= 24 permutations or 4! (4x3x2x1=24)
5 letters = 120 permutations or 5! (5x4x3x2x1=120)
etc.

Their math is correct.

Even the old smelly Jews were smarter than you are. Too bad they got hung up on 7 planets (that is why 7 is considered a lucky number nowadays, btw, old Jewish shit from the Kabbalah).

I have never seen credit given to Jews for math even though they lived in the cradles of civilization, too.

Next time you hear someone bitching about the "new math," pop them in the head.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

Messages In This Thread
Did the ancients know more than we do? - by Cracker - 06-25-2011, 01:45 PM