Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
US soldier murders 16 civilians....
This soldier needs help, clearly, and I believe he likely is suffering from PTSD (it's not a made up excuse).

But, I agree with user on this one. Try him and hand him the correct sentence in the appropriate type of US correctional facility. His mitigating circumstances will be considered in that process. Had this occured during a combat mission or by military order, I would look at who else should be held accountable. But, this was one man's actions alone and he alone is accountable.

Comparing the murder of 16 civilians outside of his military capacity and authority to how many civilians the Taliban killed in that same period is apples to oranges. Are we the Taliban and do we share their agenda? No. Rationalizing that it's somehow not so bad because Afghans "throw their daughters under tanks" is also illogical. What was this man there to do? Did he have the support of his military team when he killed civilians in the middle of the night? Should he be responsible for his own actions? These are the pertinent questions, in my opinion. I can certainly empathise with what likely contributed to him committing such a horrendous crime. The justice system leaves a lot of room for such considerations when determining the sentence for this man's crimes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: US soldier murders 16 civilians.... - by Gogo - 03-25-2012, 06:33 AM
RE: US soldier murders 16 civilians.... - by HairOfTheDog - 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM