Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
China begins to take control of U.S. banks.
(05-18-2012, 10:18 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: My primary concern with LOST is also on putting some decision making regarding US naval activity in the hands of the UN or its independent governing body. I'm also concerned about it adding extra cost to off-shore drillers via royalty paid to the independent body; this will be passed on to consumers.

Having said that, I typically support globalization measures and think we are sometimes too American-centric in our views. This treaty has been kickin' around the White House and Congress since the Reagan days, without ratification. I don't think it's designed to solve a problem so much as to establish a fair official governing of the world's oceans and provide some equitable redistribution of wealth from what's produced therein. Obama, Kerry, Lugar, and Hilary Clinton are pushing it like crack. Over 150 nations, including the European Union, have signed the treaty. Makes me wonder, "what am I missing?".

It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next month. I have concerns, but it's been difficult to find unbiased research fairly covering the "pros" and "cons" imo; maybe more detailed coverage will be available as it approaches vote.
I know what you mean about not being able to find decent information about it. That is frustrating, because the title Law of the Sea Treaty sounds fairly innocuous, right?

But it kind of reminds me of Kyoto, which almost everyone else signed but would have been disastrous for the US. The move towards globalization doesn't sit too well with me, because China does and will not play by any rules - no one can demand that they do. The US on the other hand is held to much a different standard, and most globalization efforts would hamper the US economically to the benefit of others. I just don't think that is good for my country at the end of the day. I see parts of LOST the same way.

Then again, I am an unabashed flag waver Smiley_emoticons_smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: China begins to take control of U.S. banks. - by Jimbone - 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM