Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
China begins to take control of U.S. banks.
(05-22-2012, 08:13 PM)NightOwl Wrote: Maggot, wanted to thank-you! for starting this thread, it has been so interesting what is going on. I enjoyed reading all the comments by the Mockers on here gosh! it was so well done! I learned a lot guys! and just a big thank-you!

Awhile back I did read Great Britain was one of the largest investors in this country but, China is alarming me! and Hillary keeps pushing this brutal regime, people have a short memory look at Tibet.

Remember, NightOwl, when the US population was so concerned about increased Japanese real estate investment and automative dominance here in the US in the 90s? I lived in Japan at the time. Japan was diversifying beyond product/manufacturing and into investment holdings. There was a lot of fear amongst the US population that the Japanese were going to own the US! Japan also had (and still does to a lesser degree) a very stringent import policy, but parnerships were eventually negotiated.

I think concerns about Chinese investment, particularly in financial and technology sectors, are valid due to confidentiality and trade secret issues. But I believe that the US sometimes feels that a dominant, rather than a partnership, position is the only way. It doesn't always serve us well economically, imo. China is potentially way more lucrative than Japan in terms of economic gain; largest consumer population in the world (though less per capita than Japan, at the time).

Politicians and business persons are much better versed in global policies, negotiations and contracts than they were 20 years ago. Personally, I don't fear Chinese investment because I see evidence that our policy makers are negotiating for reciprocity in access to the huge Chinese market and dotting their Is and crossing their Ts. But, I completely understand the caution and hesitance that others feel.

Btw, other countries look at the US's involvement in matters outside our borders and feel that we intervene or cause conflict unduly. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just saying that most nations with a major stake in the global economy have a controversial political/human rights issue under their belt at some point in history.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Messages In This Thread
RE: China begins to take control of U.S. banks. - by HairOfTheDog - 05-24-2012, 12:17 AM