Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
unemployment and underemployment
I am one of those guys that dedicated a lot of time in a career only to have it snatched away. I worked for the same company for 16 years, they transferred me to Florida in 95. I was making Very good money, benefits, stocks, company cars etc.. Then, Someone invented "Outsourcing" They sold us off like a bunch of runaway slaves, I was shocked that it came up to my level. The contract company that picked us up had a seriously diminished beni package, no contributions, 5 days of vac after a year (I had 5 weeks before), lasted 18 months and then got laid off. I put in well over 300 applications, all over the place. The companies that did need guys like me could get a guy half my age and pay him 13 what I made. He could do half the job but in their math it worked out.
I finally had to go to work swinging a hammer and doing whatever I could get. I kept the bills paid like that for 4 years. Made it on word of mouth, personal recommendations, house painting, sprinklers, landscaping, babysitting rich folks houses. Finally about 4 years ago I got back in cellular, but only making 34 of what I should and no benefits. Got to fight tooth and nail these days, but back in and doing ok. This deal I am on now will keep me working at home for maybe 2 years, then see what happens.
I know a Lot of guys lost cars, houses, everything. Its a hard world out there now.

Messages In This Thread
unemployment and underemployment - by Lady Cop - 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: unemployment and underemployment - by Carsman - 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM
RE: unemployment and underemployment - by Maggot - 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: unemployment and underemployment - by Carsman - 07-15-2012, 07:29 PM
RE: unemployment and underemployment - by SIXFOOTERsez - 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM