Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster
I'm sure the Toledo people have heard about this, but I was looking to get some opinions from people outside of the area.

This has been going on for some time now. There are a large number of cancer cases in and around Clyde, OH. The EPA has been doing investigations of the area to see if there are any concerns that may be causing these people (kids mainly) to get cancer.

It was reported yesterday that the Federal EPA found PCB's in a local park that used to be owned and operated by Whirlpool Corp (Clyde branch produces washers).

The question now is, were the PCB's dumped on the land prior to Whirlpool purchasing the land (1959) or were they dumping on the land. The park had a HUGE swimming pool, concession, playground, basketball courts, etc. We spent almost every day in the summers here. The park limited access to Whirlpool employees and their family.

From one of the comments on the article:

"The manufacture of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
was stopped by the U.S. federal government in 1977
because of their harmful health effects and because
PCBs are extremely persistent and last for decades in the
environment."

The article below is the newest information but I will see if I can find prior reports. The parents are holding the park to blame for the cancer.

http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/11...-says.html

CLYDE, Ohio — While earlier tests revealed the presence of cancer-causing PCBs at a park for children of Whirlpool Corp. employees, attorneys for families of Clyde-area children who have contracted cancer say the latest EPA findings came out of the blue.

Soil borings conducted for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency found “toxic sludge” at the former Whirlpool Park that was in some places more than 9 feet deep, said Alan Mortensen, an attorney hired by some of the families. The 27-acre park is near Green Springs, about five miles southwest of Clyde in Sandusky County.

Messages In This Thread
Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by RaisingAPrince - 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
RE: Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by RaisingAPrince - 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
RE: Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by username - 11-15-2012, 12:39 PM
RE: Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by HairOfTheDog - 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
RE: Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by RaisingAPrince - 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM
RE: Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by OnBendedKnee - 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
RE: Clyde, OH Cancer Cluster - by NightOwl - 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM