Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Selective Ignorance
*deep breath*

Ok, so this has been playing on my mind for the past few days to the point where I have to spit it out. Feel free to flame away; I don't mind...and to be honest it really wouldn't affect me even if my intention was just to do a little trolling and stir the pot. Rest assured its far from it.

A few things in preamble;

I have lost both my parents. I lost a wife of 20 years. But I have never lost a child, and I hope that I never have to deal with it. I can't even begin to imagine the pain and anguish.

I know this subject is very fresh in everyone's minds, but that's also why it's been bugging the hell out of me.

Alright, get to it crash...

For the past days, I'm sure your news on the top side of the world has been totally dominated by the mass shooting in Connecticut. It has dominated the news down here for just as long, and we are somewhat removed from it. I look at social media pages filled with tributes, memorials, people struggling to deal with the event. So many people filled with sadness. So many people angry.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to take anything away from what happened; people deserve to be grieving, to be devastated and shocked and angry and whatever pertinent other descriptor you would care to throw in there, and not only if your directly linked, I know plenty of people have been genuinely affected indirectly. This is not about taking anything away from anyone. Those directly involved and indirectly.

My question, and the thing that's been playing on my mind is, why do we not have the same reaction to other attrocities that happen in the world every day ?

Today 20+ kids were stolen from there family in Somalia. Some of them were introduced to highly addictive drugs to ensure their loyalty. Others' parents were slaughtered trying to hold on to their most precious possession. In Rwanda not so long ago, churches were burnt with hundreds of women and children inside. Those that fled were clubbed to death with blunt weapons... I could go on, but Mock is a reasonably learned and well informed bunch of people; I'm sure you're all aware of as many more examples as I am.

So what's the difference here? Is it because its somewhere else? NIMBY? Do we dismiss it because we think they're inferior races? I say we because I'm not exactly out there donating time, money or resources to make a change either. If we make an informed choice to only help our own, is that the highest form of racism and do we justify it in our minds because nobody holds us accountable? Or are we really just claiming selective ignorance?
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021

Messages In This Thread
Selective Ignorance - by crash - 12-19-2012, 07:29 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by ramseycat - 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by aussiefriend - 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by OnBendedKnee - 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by crash - 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by crash - 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by OnBendedKnee - 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by sally - 12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by Midwest Spy - 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by Maggot - 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
RE: Selective Ignorance - by HairOfTheDog - 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM