Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bartender Fired for Calling Cops on Customer...
(02-28-2013, 09:11 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Yes, everyone is responsible for their own actions.

-You wanna drink yourself to death, fine by me. Your life, your body.
-You wanna shoot yourself in the head, fine by me. Your life, your body.
-You wanna prostitute yourself, fine by me. Your life, your body.

But:
-You wanna get trashed and get behind the wheel. Not ok.
I'll try to stop you and I hope others make reasonable efforts to do the same, but I'm/we're not responsible if you do it anyway (and I don't think bars or alcohol retailers should be held accountable).
-You wanna shoot up a movie theater, mall, school, any innocent person(s). Not ok.
-You wanna pimp your child out. Not ok.

Pretty much that. Yeah, imo it's time people start taking responsibility for their actions and what happens to them as a consequence. I am sick of people yammering on about how everyone else but them is to blame and, even worse, scream for the judicial system/gvt. to protect them when good common sense would have avoided them being hurt in the first place (for example in the case of that Coca Cola drinking woman).

BUT

I also have this strange ethical mindset where I do want to look out for others and try to keep them from getting injured/killed/hurt. In this case, the guy could have endangered others because he was an idiot thinking he could drive hammered. I have been around enough drunk people (and been drunk often enough, myself) to know that sometimes, you CAN'T talk sense into them or convince them to take a cab. If I would then just give up and say, fuck it, it's his responsibility, and he goes and harms another person, damn, I would feel that I've failed the third party and myself.

I've seen bartenders demanding the car keys from a drunk regular as a condition to serve more liquor, and refusing to serve if the patron wouldn't comply. I like that solution. It's what I would have tried first before getting third parties or the cops involved. Yeah, I definitely would call the cops if nothing else worked. And raise hell about my employer being a materialistic motherfucker to hold his income in a higher regard than the life/health of a potential DUI victim.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bartender Fired for Calling Cops on Customer... - by Ilyanna - 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM