Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SHARIA LAW SPREADING -- BRUNEI -- VICTORY FOR ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISTS
Western Boycotting of Brunei Begins

Beverly Hills, California (CNN) -- The Beverly Hills City Council has condemned the government of Brunei for its "extreme and inhumane" Sharia laws and urged the nation's sultan to sell ownership of the landmark Beverly Hills Hotel and any other property the Asian country and its ruler may own in the exclusive community.

[Image: 140506094502-brunei-beverly-hills-hotel-...ry-top.jpg]
Jay Leno led a protest outside of the Beverly Hills Hotel the day before the Council vote.

The council made the declaration in a 5-0 vote Tuesday night, despite 125 workers from the hotel packing the council chambers and expressing concern about their jobs.

Several waiters in white coats told the council they, too, didn't like Brunei's laws but they asked why workers should possibly suffer for the City Council's vote of condemnation.

"It strangles our livelihood," said Ann Romer, a server in the hotel's Polo Lounge, a renowned gathering spot for Hollywood stars and filmmakers. "It causes us to be unable to support our families, my children and my sick grandmother in Vietnam."

All the council members empathized with the workers but said they need to take a stand against the Brunei government.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/07/us/bev...sy-brunei/
===================

Well, it may be that the Beverly Hills City Council is taking a stand against what many consider human rights violations under Sharia Law.

But, IMO, the Council has no choice but to publicly condemn Brunei's adoption of Sharia Law and push for the Beverly Hills Hotel to be sold to another investor. That hotel has been a major hot spot for celebrities for decades and also hosts high-profile entertainment events.

With stars like Jay Leno and Ellen DeGeneres and international investors/celebrities like Richard Branson encouraging others to join them in boycotting all things Brunei, the workers at the Beverly Hills Hotel (and the other Brunei-owned hotels and restaurants in the west which cater primarily to those in the entertainment industry) won't have jobs anyway if the customer base takes it business elsewhere.

Should employees at Brunei-owned western businesses be a fall-out of protests against another country's laws?

The Sultan's not gonna reverse his decision to implement Sharia Law, that's for sure. Will the outrage and boycotts be more than just a temporary trend and truly impact Brunei-owned businesses -- forcing them to sell? Or, will Brunei hold on, suffer a short term loss, and figure people will let it go soon enough and move on to the next hot protest/cause? IDK. I don't think the Russian vodka industry suffered any real long-term setbacks as a result of celebrities boycotting its products in response to Putin's anti-gay laws (but I don't know that for sure).

Messages In This Thread
RE: SHARIA LAW SPREADING -- BRUNEI -- VICTORY FOR ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISTS - by HairOfTheDog - 05-09-2014, 01:48 PM