Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TAMIR RICE, 12 -- KILLED BY CLEVELAND POLICE
Yeah, given all of the information that I've reviewed over the last couple of days, it's very difficult for me to continue giving the police the benefit of the doubt until the investigation concludes.

Hard to imagine what the investigators (hopefully unbiased investigators) could uncover/suggest that would convince me that this was a justifiable use of deadly force given that:

1. Either the officers lied to their union president, or the union president lied to the press, about the scene and the boy's actions. That tells me that one or both had to know that the officers' approach and response was not appropriate.

2. It's a fact that the officers or their representatives lied about the scene and Tamir's actions, therefore I am inclined to believe that they also lied about Officer Loehmann giving three clear instructions for Tamir to put up his hands in less than 2 seconds. I also seriously doubt that Tamir reached for his weapon (unless he was actually instructed to toss his weapon and Loehmann shot him when Tamir tried to do so). Too bad there was no dash or body cam audio.

3. The Cleveland Police claim they did not review Loehmann's personnel file before hiring him. They did not know this:
-The file includes a letter from Deputy Chief Jim Polak to the HR department on November 29, 2012.
-The letter said Loehmann was "distracted and weepy" while taking a state range qualification course. It said Loehmann could not follow simple directions, communicate clearly and his handgun performance was "dismal."
-The letter also said it was clear Loehmann was not "mentally prepared" to be doing the firearm training that day.
-Loehmann's "emotional meltdown" continued throughout the day. Loehmann blamed problems with a girlfriend.Loehmann also admitted he had a similar meltdown one time while during police academy training.
-The letter also mentions an incident where Loehmann left his firearm unsecured in a locker overnight.
-The letter says Loehmann's behavior showed a pattern of a lack of maturity, indiscretion and not following instructions since he started at the department in July 2012.
Source: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/...n-incident

None of that ^ explains why the training officer behind the wheel chose to roll up on Tamir, which appears to be a major tactical error. But, it makes me question Loehmann's qualifications to be in the field in the first place.

If the grand jury fails to find reasonable cause to indict at least Officer Loehmann once they see the video and evidence of police deception, I'll be shocked (despite recent controversy regarding grand juries' failure to indict other police officers). I hope I won't be shocked.

Messages In This Thread
RE: TAMIR RICE, 12 -- KILLED BY CLEVELAND POLICE - by HairOfTheDog - 12-04-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Midwest Spy - 11-28-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Duchess - 11-28-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Blindgreed1 - 11-28-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Ferguson - by HairOfTheDog - 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Ferguson - by HairOfTheDog - 11-28-2014, 05:26 PM
RE: Ferguson - by Duchess - 11-28-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: Ferguson - by HairOfTheDog - 11-28-2014, 07:41 PM
RE: Ferguson - by username - 11-28-2014, 07:50 PM