Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CUT & RUN: FUGITIVE FROM CIRCUMCISION
(03-23-2015, 11:03 PM)sally Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 10:21 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I had no idea there was such a sizable and organized human rights movement across the country.
The only other reason to do it is because the punishment for not being circumcised in mainstream Judaism is believed to be "Karet", being cut off; meaning premature death at the hand of G-d (Mo'ed Katan 28a) and a severe spiritual punishment, the "soul's being cut off," and not being granted a share in the world to come (Hilchot Teshuvah 8:1,5).

Yeah, I don't think most non-Jewish Americans have a clue as to the origins of the practice.

In my opinion, more than half of American parents continue to have their male newborns circumcised because it's become a common practice, or the males in their families were circumcised, or they believe that it's more attractive and cleaner for adult males and less traumatic to have it done in infancy, and/or they believe the contested health benefits make it a better choice for their babies.

I don't think that parents who choose to have their baby boys circumcised are in the wrong. But, I completely understand why some parents would opt against it and don't think they're in the wrong either. It should be each family's choice at birth. One thing's certain though: a circumcised male adult can't get the foreskin back, but an uncircumcised male adult can choose to have it removed.

So, since the parents in the OP case are at odds about it and the child is reportedly fearful of it, I don't think Chase's father should be able to force the circumcision against the will of the child and his mother unless there's proof that the boy's health is at risk without it (which there doesn't seem to be in this case). The parenting agreement can be amended and should be, in my opinion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CUT & RUN: FUGITIVE FROM CIRCUMCISION - by HairOfTheDog - 03-24-2015, 10:03 AM