Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
14 YEAR OLD KILLS MATH TEACHER - PHILIP CHISM & COLLEEN RITZER
(10-05-2015, 03:59 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 07:41 PM)Maggot Wrote: Trigger word? Now that's sounds like a stupid defense. If the world needs to watch their trigger words I fear all is lost.
Someone told me recently that some Professors were told (warned) about "trigger words" that could possibly set off students. I thought it was a joke at the time but then I heard about it again. Some are insisting that this is a real thing.

It's an ignorant movement, in my opinion.

My understanding is that it's being driven by increasingly sensitive student bodies, not by teacher's groups and academic organizations/institutions.

College students should be exposed to facts and reality -- the good and the bad -- and encouraged to analyze and form opinions. They should be encouraged to think critically. Emotions are real and important too, but shouldn't dictate education policy, in my opinion.

College students should not be shielded from (or warned about) words that might trigger an emotional response in some. That's life; I feel strongly that forcing teachers to coddle students in higher education environments is counter-productive and bad for the students and society.

Anyway, this is an interesting piece I read recently on the the topic: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arch...nd/399356/

Messages In This Thread
RE: 14 YEAR OLD KILLS MATH TEACHER - PHILIP CHISM & COLLEEN RITZER - by HairOfTheDog - 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM