Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are black students getting help at home?
I don't blame the schools for black kids scoring lower than other races overall.

And, it's great to see that black kids are scoring WAY higher than most of their parents did. I think the schools deserve some credit for that, as do the parents, the social policies, and changing mindsets.

If black kids improved their scores at the same rate in the next 15 years as they have in the last 15 years and white kids remained constant, the black kids would probably take the lead.

I think if each generation of students experiences more equality of opportunities, the scores will continue to rise from generation to generation for blacks and other minorities. It seems logical to me that the more educated the parents, the greater their ability to assist their children academically and encourage them to pursue learning.

Anyway, I hope the new law turning more control over education to the states turns out to benefit all students across the country.

This is a good view of how 4th and 8th grade students have performed in math alone from 1990 to 2013, broken down by race.

[Image: figure-cnc-3.gif]
Source: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cnc.asp

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are black students getting help at home? - by HairOfTheDog - 12-10-2015, 10:08 PM