Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are black students getting help at home?
That sounds frustrating, cannongal.

I understand the school's position though. Since, academically, your son is at or beyond his grade level and ready to progress to the next one, I don't think I'd hold him back and disrupt his learning development for a year as punishment for lack of motivation/obedience either.

It would suck if he was held back, thus learning nothing new, and still didn't do the homework. How many times should the school hold back a smart kid who won't do homework? The school has little control over what the kid does at home.

When I was a teen, homework completion and scores figured into the report card grades, but test scores and subject mastery held more weight. There were always a few smart (and often under-challenged or unmotivated) kids who could pay attention in class, do little to no homework, ace the tests, and still get a B or C in the class. But, no one could pass if they got all Fs on their report card, even if the parents begged the school to progress them. It's weird that it apparently happens today. That's definitely a failure on the part of the school.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are black students getting help at home? - by HairOfTheDog - 12-13-2015, 12:17 PM