Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and five other terrorists would be tried in a civilian court
(11-23-2009, 11:49 AM)The Antagonist Wrote:
(11-22-2009, 09:51 PM)SyberBitch Wrote:
Ant Wrote:I'm on the fence as to deciding if water-boarding is actually torture too.

Seriously? Water boarding, as I'm sure you know, involves nearly drowning a person, repeatedly. I'm assuming that your statement about our own Special Forces being submitted to torture as part of their training is fact. It seems logical enough. However, surely you would recognize a difference between torture that you VOLUNTEER for and torture that someone is doing to you against your will, right?

If water boarding isn't really 'torture', then why is it so damned effective at getting information from people? Of course, information acquired under 'torture' conditions, can never really be trusted, since most people will eventually say anything to get the torture to stop. Simple sleep deprivation is 'torture' when prolonged.

Do I think it's ok to torture people who are DESERVING of it?? Yes. But, I think the evidence against the person has to be damned overwhelming to justify it.

I have seen the "torture" demonstrated on TV. This is why I'm on the fence about it. Did you know they don't actually get water in their face? Granted it's not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination but bribing them with specially prepared meals, games, books and other enjoyable thngs is NOT my idea of interrogation either.

I agree that trying to 'bribe' people would not be effective for... pretty much anything. Again, it should depend on the circumstances. If you're dealing with people who are definitely guilty of terrorist acts, or say... being a mass murderer or something, I can understand the use of torture. If it's people who are not DEFINITELY guilty, I don't think it's ever called for. A person should never be tortured, whether they're an American Citizen or not, unless they themselves have been guilty of torturing other people (I consider 'terrorism' a form of torture).

If you do not believe that 'Water-Boarding' is torture, read this: http://science.howstuffworks.com/water-boarding.htm

(from the article) "CIA members who've undergone water boarding as part of their training have lasted an average of 14 seconds before begging to be released. The Navy SEALs once used the technique in their counter-interrogation training, but they stopped because the trainees could not survive it without breaking, which was bad for morale."

Ant Wrote:I think you are confusing this with the Abu Grahib (sp?) bullshit. Guantanamo Bay has been under close scrutiny and the public eye from the start.

50 You're right. I was.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and five other terrorists would be tried in a civilian court - by SyberBitch - 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM