Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S.
Forced regime change is not the answer either -- we've done that in the past and it's only contributed to the instability in Central America.

What I think the U.S. needs is stronger and well-developed immigration policies and processes. That needs to come via legislation from our government, which has failed to address the issue proactively for a decade. Sometimes I wonder if some of our elected officials believe it benefits them more politically not to address the hot button issue.

What I'd really like to see is more diplomatic coordination, assistance and negotiation between U.S. leaders and the leaders of the Central American governments to address the systemic violence and corruption that's driving Central Americans to flee. That would need to include options and goals for economic development.

I've read some opinion pieces suggesting that facilitating the legalization of drugs would go a long way towards reducing government-supported criminal enterprises in Central America. Most of the collusion between Central American governments and criminal enterprises which abuse their populations is drug-related, and Americans drive the demand for the illegal drugs. I'm not sure if the drug legalization theory would bear out in reality, but think it's worth further exploration.

The U.S. could also work with Central America and the U.N. in regards to international human rights laws and treaties, tying mutually beneficial rewards to adherence. We used to be regarded as the world's leader in that arena. I don't believe that's the case anymore, but we could be again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be done about the caravan of people coming to the U.S. - by HairOfTheDog - 10-22-2018, 09:10 AM