Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New York Times posts an article about Kay Jewelers
(04-24-2019, 11:53 PM)MirahM Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 04:00 AM)Fry Guy Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 09:28 PM)MirahM Wrote: Was there someone in this forum who complained about #MeToo?

Why do you believe such fringe beliefs may be humoured by someone here and if so bt whom and why?
I don't know. I can't remember, that is why I asked.
I was being a bit over-dramatic in my statements regarding people's potential reactions.

P.S. Tech note. This is my 2nd attempt at posting this.

Over-dramatic? You mean you were virtue signaling a strawman premise and suggesting someone here believed it? Okay.

#MeToo unto itself is not a good thing or a bad thing. It ENTIRELY depends on how it is used.

If it is used by people ONLY to target the people who sexually assault and are breaking laws around sexual harassment, fine.
What about Hollywood (The bastion of Progressive values at the centre of #MeToo) and people like Harvey Weinstein? What about the allegations against him? Well I think that some of them have merit and others probably don't BUT what does that mean in real terms?

Well, let's say out of the dozens of allegations about sexual harassment and rape, three or four were genuine and NOT a case of a creepy Producer making a sleazy offer of sex in return for a role which was accepted quid pro quo ("Aka casting couch"), then that would STILL make him a rapist and a sexual abuser because some were genuine. It does not extend that ALL will be and I suspect some were just immoral rather than illegal and really gross not against the law. Case by case and we can't say that JUST because an accusation was made, that the victim is actually a victim at all.

So he should still go away. But there is that culture, and as sleazy as it is, if some young adult starlet wishes to trade her body for a part, I see nothing illegal in this. They may feel gross about it, they may feel violated or take stock of their life choices or whatever but I think many are using THIS to #MeToo virtue signal.

I think that many women especially are jumping on the #MeToo bandwagon and using it purely to virtue signal and push their oppressed woman victimhood of women having no agency. The want to rally fellow women against a man they dislike for an "offence" real or imagined that does not rise to any level of significance, in a desire to socially hurt said man.

On the flipside there are many women who have rightly voiced their experiences and supported their peers against serial abusers and that is a good thing.

So is #MeToo good or bad? It clearly can be either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New York Times posts an article about Kay Jewelers - by Fry Guy - 04-25-2019, 12:15 PM