Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Australian exchange student gunned down
Media Errors / Impact

Some media is more objective than others and all media is more objective on some topics than it is when it comes to race, IMO.

Misidentifying Suspect
FOX News reported that Lane was killed by three black teens and repeatedly showed this photo.
[Image: jones1.jpg]

Does the person identified as Michael Jones in the photo above look anything like the actual suspect, Mike Jones, on the right below?

[Image: 35121359001_2620886425001_james-edwards-...-jones.jpg]

Terribly irresponsible journalism, IMO.

Inaccurate Potential Sentencing

It's also been reported in the media that the three teens could face the death penalty. AFAIK, because they are under 18, they cannot be subject to the death penalty in the US.

False Reporting of Shooter Confession?
It's also been reported that Mike Jones said, "I pulled the trigger" in court, causing many to speculate as to why he's not being charged as severely as the others at this time (he was the driver). The judge, the prosecutor, and LE who were present in the courtroom have all stated that Jones actually said, "I didn't pull the trigger", but the alleged reporting error continues to be reprinted in new stories about the case.

Regarding the suspects
-Edwards parents are both black.
-Jones is reportedly white, but I haven't seen either of his parents, so not sure if he's mixed race.
-Luna, who allegedly pulled the trigger and is pictured in the middle^, is half white.

Luna's mother has been the most vocal of the suspects' parents and says she cannot believe her son was the shooter, but if he was involved, she wants him held accountable.

[Image: 58dacd5d9c20ff7d98edb3acff8eb97d8159288b.jpeg]
Edwards's dad, Edwards's sister, and Luna's mom at their hearing last week

Whatever exactly made them kill Mr. Lane that day, I think they all deserve the harshest available sentences.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Australian exchange student gunned down - by HairOfTheDog - 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM