Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES
(09-29-2018, 07:04 AM)Carsman Wrote:
But even though I'm not a fan of his, I'm willing (as should we all) to give him the benefit of the doubt "until he's proven guilty" before actually convicting him!

This isn't a criminal trial, we're not in a court of law, and none of us are jury members.  This is an evaluation of a candidate's suitability for a job which will impact the lives of all U.S. citizens.  There's no burden of proof or reasonable doubt in play in the court of public opinion.

Outside of a courtroom, no one is under any obligation to presume innocence and wait for proof/evidence before making judgments and forming opinions, thankfully.  We'd be in a lot of danger just going about our daily lives if proof or evidence was required before forming judgments and acting on them.  

Anyway, personally, I don't make decisions without doing a lot of research, reviewing facts, and deliberating internally in matters of this sort. That often leaves me undecided far longer than most, which can sometimes be a drawback.  Other times, it can be an asset.  Never does it make me any more or less entitled to express my thoughts than people who primarily base their opinions on factors like personal experience, emotion, and non-factual evaluation.

When it comes to the Kavanaugh sexual assault allegations, anyone who's insisting that Judge Kavanaugh is innocent when chastising people for considering or insisting that Judge Kavanaugh is guilty is a hypocrite, by definition.  I'm not suggesting that you're doing that Cars, you're not.  I'm speaking generally.

I did find Dr. Ford a more credible witness and person than Judge Kavanaugh, by a long shot.  But, that doesn't make me certain that Brett Kavanaugh is guilty of sexual assault.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPREME COURT: JUSTICE SCALIA DEATH AND SCOTUS CHANGES - by HairOfTheDog - 09-29-2018, 12:15 PM