Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE -- SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO NOW?
I've been thinking about it more since Cars and blueberry posted about the electoral college a couple of times, and doing a little research.

I get MS's point as well. I think Six also expressed a similar line of thought in another thread.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but now I'm leaning slightly towards favoring the removal of the electoral college. I think that might actually minimize the urban vs. rural issue over time.

I like the idea of candidates having to consider policies and messages that resonate with people across the country if they want to win the popular vote, instead of relying on the old Democratic and Republican strongholds and focusing on selected demographics. I'm tired of partisanship and pandering having such influence over who becomes our elected officials.

Candidates with a message that appeals to citizens across party lines can and have attracted a lot of support from citizens who were traditionally committed to a different party or didn't vote at all. We saw that with Bernie in the primaries and Trump in the general (Clinton too by getting more traditional Republican votes, but to a lesser extent).

Plus, I like the idea of doing away with party delegates who have systemic and personal loyalties to candidates. I don't think we the people need them between us and our candidates. In my opinion, that system hampers the ability of Independents and third party candidates (ones who aren't filthy rich or running at a time when pitting the people against the establishment is viable) to get heard by citizens in all areas of the country and to have a fair shot.

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE -- SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO NOW? - by HairOfTheDog - 11-15-2016, 01:41 PM