Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander
I couldn't find any specific judge/court order docs precluding LaViolette from directly testifying about Travis Alexander, which was mentioned on Jane Velez Mitchell's show last night.

The only court actions that I found listed for August 2011 were hearings related to Jodi's attempts to get Travis's supposed letters in which he admits to pedophilia (deemed as forgeries by the prosecution) admitted into evidence.

I don't know if LaViolette is not allowed to speak directly about Travis because of something related to false pedophilia stories (Martinez questioned Jodi about whether she told psychologist "Alys" a story related to Travis being a pedo and brought up the August 2011 hearing when he cross-examined Jodi; she confirmed that she had and Martinez then abruptly moved on - I was a little confused by that). Or, maybe the judge's order issued in August 2011 is just a general order to protect the victim who "passed away". Either way, it now makes sense to me why LaViolette's testimony doesn't seem connected to the case and may not get directly tied into Travis and Jodi's relationship by the defense team.

Here's a snip of the relevant JVS transcript.

JON LIEBERMAN, HLN CONTRIBUTOR: I actually agree with Drew. I mean, I think this is probably, you know, a real migraine, but you know, this isn`t even the real issue here.

I mean, the issue is I don`t believe this domestic violence expert is going to play that big a role in this trial at all. The reason being, Jane, there was a hearing back in August of 2011 that precludes this domestic violence expert from actually tying this in directly to Travis Alexander. And that`s what`s being missed here. That`s why she`s basically giving a course, a lecture about domestic violence. But in most ways, because of a judge`s ruling, she`d precluded can`t tie it to Travis.

MARCIA CLARK: And let me correct one thing. The prosecution is getting ready for this cross-examination now, always. The minute the witness takes the stand, they`re taking notes, they`re preparing, they`re getting ready. So even if they (the defense) stretch this witness`s testimony out into Monday or Tuesday, the prosecution is going to have the weekend to prepare with what she`s said so far, which is quite a lot. She`s really given the bulk of her testimony.

And it`s really common, Jane, for these experts to be limited to talking in general about what is the theory behind domestic violence and what happens to abuse victims and their symptomology and not be allowed to tie it specifically to the parties involved. It`s very common.

Hopefully court will resume today; curious to see just where LaViolette's testimony leads and how Martinez will address her.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - by HairOfTheDog - 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Jodi Arias is going to . . . . - by Carsman - 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM