Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Curiosity-- NASA Mars landing Monday
(08-06-2012, 05:05 PM)Jimbone Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 04:05 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Is Mars habitable for humans as it is right now?

No, you say?

Then what's the big fucking point of going there, other than we may find a cure for cancer, of course?

You 'deep' thinkers kill me...

Just so I understand your oddly belligerent posts...

If a place is uninhabitable to humans, we should not go? So deep sea exploration is stupid, anything concerning the moon or space has been a waste, and we should spend all of our excess dollars on cancer research and restricting firearms.

Got it.

Do you even know how much money is spent per year on cancer research in the US compared to what is spent on space exploration?

No, you say?

$39 billion on government cancer research and programs... which of course does not include drug company cancer research OR non-profit organization cancer research.

$18 billion for NASA.

Don't be so critical of 'deep thinking'. You might want to try it sometime.

Funny you'd actually have the nerve to bring up firearms as 6 more innocent people were slaughtered by a madman yesterday. What weapon did he choose again? Knife, rope, garden hose, hammer? No. Those aren't as easy as a legally obtained gun.

Now, back to exploring Mars.

What has potentially more impact for the everyday, average human being?

Funding for NASA or funding to fight a killer of mankind?

In our search for life outside of Earth, what are we hoping to find? Remnants of a lost civilization? Ice, which in theory would mean life could have existed at one point, or are we hoping to find a place to colonize in the event Earth becomes uninhabitable? If it's colonization, I'd be willing to listen to your argument.

Deep sea exploration makes sense, as it's actually ON our planet. I have no qualms with money spent (as long as it's reasonable) there.

I've also said I'm okay with a manned mission to Mars. Something that's not been done before. My biggest qualm with this particular mission is that it's been done 3 or 4 times already. Yes, science is more advanced now, and the machinery we can send to the surface is better.

It just seems like more rehashing of the same thing to me. Wasted $$$.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Curiosity-- NASA Mars landing Monday - by Midwest Spy - 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM