Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The perfect movie
Do you like movies?

If you could make your perfect movie what would it be about? Who would be the stars? Got a director in mind? Favourite theme or genre?

Maybe your perfect movie already exists? What is it?

Did you notice I used the Americanism “movie” instead of the British term of “film”?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(02-25-2014, 06:42 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Maybe your perfect movie already exists? What is it?

I don't think it exists yet for me. There are a few movies that I really enjoyed but they go back a ways - Dances With Wolves & Braveheart. I could probably add Shawshank Redemption to that too. And Green Mile just came to me! Loved that.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Eraserhead its like reading catcher in the rye.

[Image: eraserhead.jpg]

I think about it often for some odd reason.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
To me, Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window" is a near perfect movie. Mystery, comedy, interesting relationships, offbeat characters...

Like "Shawshank Redemption", I always stop when I see it playing while channel surfing.

I've seen them both several times and always think I'm just gonna watch for a couple of minutes and then move on, but usually wind up watching them til the end again.
(02-25-2014, 09:00 PM)Maggot Wrote: Eraserhead its like reading catcher in the rye.

Maybe I've been wrong about you.

Are you a David Lynch fan?

If so maybe we have much to discuss.

If you think “it was a bit weird!” Maybe we don't.

I'm passing you the soccer ball mate, what are you going to do with it?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(02-25-2014, 09:38 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I've seen them both several times and always think I'm just gonna watch for a couple of minutes and then move on, but usually wind up watching them til the end again.

I'm the same with Jaws.

I saw it at an impressionable age and it branded me for life.

If I see it when I'm channel surfing I have to watch it until Roy Schneider says “smile you son of a....” And he shoots the scuba tank and the shark explodes.
(02-25-2014, 08:03 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 06:42 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Maybe your perfect movie already exists? What is it?

I don't think it exists yet for me. There are a few movies that I really enjoyed but they go back a ways - Dances With Wolves & Braveheart. I could probably add Shawshank Redemption to that too. And Green Mile just came to me! Loved that.

I was taken to see Shawshank Redemption against my will when it came out in the nineties and it blew my mind and its stupendous.

My dad was a big Dances With Wolves fan and a Braveheart fan.

Green Mile is good but a bit too obvious and mawkish for me but heigh ho.
I have really thought about this and I just can't think of a 'perfect' movie. My favourites are 'Some like it Hot', 'Dr Zhivago', 'East of Eden', 'Plenty' (independent film by Fred Shepisi), 'Georgy Girl' (B/W film the Carnaby St era). I enjoyed the 7up series and saw them at the cinema back in the day. I really really like Jerry Lewis films. Every Christmas we usually watch the Jerry Lewis Nutty Professor and last Christmas we also watched Goldmember the Austin Powers film. So we can laugh as a family on Christmas day.
I don't know, I have to think about it a bit more.

Speaking of movies though, I watched Escape Plan with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone the other night prepared that it would totally suck and it was much better than I expected. Not the perfect movie, but not as bad as you would think.
I'm blessed.

My perfect movie? Its already been done, three times! I saw it and thought perfect! That's the film I would make! For me!

Its been done already...first in a French/Italian co-production called Le Samourai produced in 1967 starring French actor Alain Delon.

Again in 1982 with Bladerunner...its perfect.

And again in 2011 with a film called....Drive.

Watch them I implore you to do so.

I identify with the protaganists in those films.

Jef Costello, Rick Deckard and Ryan Goslings nameless driver? I identify with them.
(02-26-2014, 06:24 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 09:00 PM)Maggot Wrote: Eraserhead its like reading catcher in the rye.

And a bromance is born.
(02-26-2014, 07:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:

And a bromance is born.

Does he get Lynch!?

Does he get surrealism?
(02-26-2014, 07:27 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 07:10 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:

And a bromance is born.

Does he get Lynch!?

Does he get surrealism?

Most likely, yes.
I also liked "twin peaks" but Lynch is a bit strange and I do like the little added surprises he incorporates into his films. If you watch them a few times you see it. It takes a little thinking to understand the underlying meaning to his surrealistic sequences. Rewind is your friend during his movies.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-26-2014, 06:30 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: I'm the same with Jaws.

I saw it at an impressionable age and it branded me for life.

If I see it when I'm channel surfing I have to watch it until Roy Schneider says “smile you son of a....” And he shoots the scuba tank and the shark explodes.

Jaws is one of my top 5!

But then again so is Dazed and Confused and Fast Times at Ridgemont hah!!!!!!!!
Fast Times at Ridgemont hah!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Porkys.
tacky tacky ^^^
You like what you like, who cares. I thought Zoolander and Half Baked were hilarious and I think they were both box office flops.
(02-26-2014, 10:31 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: tacky tacky ^^^

Like I would expect anything less from you. you're probably in danger of drowning every time you walk in the rain.

86 Crazy Lady
(02-26-2014, 10:58 PM)sally Wrote: You like what you like, who cares. I thought Zoolander and Half Baked were hilarious and I think they were both box office flops.

The Jerk still makes me laugh and I agree with your daughter that Nacho Libre is a very funny movie.