Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally did it, could you?

We gave up the cell phones. Common sense finally kicked in. Why do I want to pay $200 a month for cell phones when I have a phone at home that lets me do everything, with all the extras, for $30 bucks a month?

It's only been since Thursday, so I'm sure I will go through some withdrawal for a while, but for the most part it felt more like a fucking albatross around my neck.

I miss the days of enjoying my breaks and lunch without a fucking phone glued to my ear. The fact that I hate talking on the phone makes it that much easier.

Soooooo, other than people that have to have one for business purposes, how many of you could give it up?

I just keep mine for convenience really.

My wife was given a free mobile phone with unlimited credit from her employer.

I pay $25 a month and that gives me unlimited calls and texts to her number, I also get 500 texts and 500 minutes a month to any other number regardless of the network.

I also have a home phone but don't really use it that often, if anything I would probably ditch my home phone before my mobile phone.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
FAHQTOO Wrote:We gave up the cell phones. Common sense finally kicked in. Why do I want to pay $200 a month for cell phones when I have a phone at home that lets me do everything, with all the extras, for $30 bucks a month?

It's only been since Thursday, so I'm sure I will go through some withdrawal for a while, but for the most part it felt more like a fucking albatross around my neck.

I miss the days of enjoying my breaks and lunch without a fucking phone glued to my ear. The fact that I hate talking on the phone makes it that much easier.

Soooooo, other than people that have to have one for business purposes, how many of you could give it up?
I have ONLY a Cell, but it is for both work and personal use... so meh. If the business side dropped off, not only COULD I, but damn WOULD I ever.
I have only a cell, too. Most days I would like to run the fucking thing over with my car. I hate talking on the phone, but if I didn't have this cell I wouldn't be able to talk to Bullet every day. That is the only thing keeping this annoyance from being stuffed into the microwave. Otherwise, I could never see a phone of any sort for the rest of my life and be perfectly content.
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:I just keep mine for convenience really.

My wife was given a free mobile phone with unlimited credit from her employer.

I pay $25 a month and that gives me unlimited calls and texts to her number, I also get 500 texts and 500 minutes a month to any other number regardless of the network.

I also have a home phone but don't really use it that often, if anything I would probably ditch my home phone before my mobile phone.

I used to think that way too OP. I just added another line a few months ago and they have my bill so fucked up that I decided I had enough. My bill went from around $75 a month to almost $200.

I've been arguing with some bitch every month for 4 months now, and all she can keep saying is that she wasn't there when the account was set up......WTF???? I don't give a rats ass if she was there or not. It's her fucking job to listen to me bitch and to try and get the shit worked out. They were double charging me for every extra feature I had. Fuck em, I lived for 35 years without one, I can do without it, and they can do without my business.

I only have the house phone because I have the all in one package from Time Warner. Cable, internet, and phone. I don't HAVE to have a cell but it comes in handy. I can call ahead to daycare and have the kids ready so I just have to pull up and get them. I like being able to talk to the kids when I need to. I like having my cell at work so the school can get in touch with me if nexessary. I let my calls at work go to voice mail a lot if I am working on a case.

I am a big texter though. I don't really like to talk on the phone that much. I would rather just text what I want to say quick and not have to engage in a lenghty conversation.

One thing I will no do is talk on my cell at the store or in a public place. I cannot stand people yapping on the cells at the nail shop or grocery store. No one wants to hear their stupid conversations.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I just bought my first ever cell phone a short time ago. Basic model for $32 including s/h and the $10 phone card is good for 90 days. I feel better having it in case I have car trouble but that's about all I'd use it for. Like Sinister, I hate talking on the phone.

I would LOVE to be able to toss my BlackBerry...Just the simple thought of doing so has put a smile on my face...But, alas that's not to be
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Quote:One thing I will no do is talk on my cell at the store or in a public place. I cannot stand people yapping on the cells at the nail shop or grocery store. No one wants to hear their stupid conversations.
Something we can agree on.
Duchess Wrote:I would LOVE to be able to toss my BlackBerry...Just the simple thought of doing so has put a smile on my face...But, alas that's not to be
Why DO you have a Blackberry? Do you get emails on it? Or is it for work? My brother has one and I had it when he has his surgery. Holy shit that thing was complicated. It would lock itself all the time and I had to put in the password. I thought it was a pain in the ass. But he got his emails and shit on there and he uses it for business.
ramseycat Wrote:
Duchess Wrote:I would LOVE to be able to toss my BlackBerry...Just the simple thought of doing so has put a smile on my face...But, alas that's not to be
Why DO you have a Blackberry? Do you get emails on it? Or is it for work? My brother has one and I had it when he has his surgery. Holy shit that thing was complicated. It would lock itself all the time and I had to put in the password. I thought it was a pain in the ass. But he got his emails and shit on there and he uses it for business.
It's like having my pc at my fingertips...It does everything my laptop does...I would prolly go mad if I didn't have it...That's just full disclosure even tho I say I'd love to chuck it.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
LuMPyPussy Wrote:I just bought my first ever cell phone a short time ago. Basic model for $32 including s/h and the $10 phone card is good for 90 days. I feel better having it in case I have car trouble but that's about all I'd use it for. Like Sinister, I hate talking on the phone.
I thought about the car trouble issue, but since I carpool with 2 other people and they have phones, I'm covered there, and I would still be able to use their phones on my week to drive. Other than that, I stay close to home for the most part unless were out riding, and that is also usually not without other people with us.

I will still keep my phone in the car charged up. All cell phones work for 911, even without a carrier.

Duchess Wrote:
ramseycat Wrote:
It's like having my pc at my fingertips...It does everything my laptop does...I would prolly go mad if I didn't have it...That's just full disclosure even tho I say I'd love to chuck it.
That is why my brother says. It took me forever to figure it out though. One of these days I am going to get an iPhone. I love technology. It just takes me awhile to figure out how to use it. LOL
My wife also has a Blackberry, she had it given to her by her employer, as a health and safety/hygiene manager she has to be contactable 24/7.
It is a massively complicated and fiddly thing to use.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:It is a massively complicated and fiddly thing to use.
No SHIT! My son has one and it a complete mystery to me. I have no clue how he can deal with that thing. I have the most basic, simple, frill-less phone ever made.
Sinister Wrote:
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:It is a massively complicated and fiddly thing to use.
No SHIT! My son has one and it a complete mystery to me. I have no clue how he can deal with that thing. I have the most basic, simple, frill-less phone ever made.

So does my son and he is on his third one since last fall. The first one got ran over by a car.( don't ask, I don't anymore) He had to pay $150 with the warranty, to get it replaced. The second one I sent back in the mail just yesturday so he won't be billed $350 dollars for not sending it back in time because it is fucked up too. The one I just sent back is the touch screen version. He left last Monday for his job and won't be back until mid April.

The fuckin alarm on that thing started going off on Monday night and know one knows how to shut the damn thing up. I did what he said to do to shut the fuckin thing up and it still would not shut off. I sent it off in the mail like that.....hmmmm.....probly shouldn't have done that. :shock:
Mobile phones, shit I am still using smoke signals ::bigg::
FAHQTOO Wrote:The fuckin alarm on that thing started going off on Monday night and know one knows how to shut the damn thing up. I did what he said to do to shut the fuckin thing up and it still would not shut off. I sent it off in the mail like that.....hmmmm.....probly shouldn't have done that. :shock:
What about just yanking the battery? I'd have NO CLUE what to do about that, but my son had to havehis trackball replaced. Thankfully, they knew about the shit with that clusterfuck and sent him 3 new trackballs for 5 bucks. He is murder on all his electronics, though.

I will be glad to be rid of it once the newest and latest comes along and he can deal with that shit on his own. ::doh::

I couldn't get the back of it to come off to take the battery out. I think that particular phone needs an exorcism.

Jurassic Wrote:Mobile phones, shit I am still using smoke signals ::bigg::
::laugh::