Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lost in the 50's - nostalgia
Some of you may remember these things of the 50's & 60's, like I do.

Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I bet you smiled like a split watermelon at 2:32, Cars..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
Some of them. I definitely had a pair of those strap on roller skates and *shudders* who could ever forget Mr. Potato Head? I'm pretty sure he's still alive and kicking (if his stubby little legs are put in).

I remember wanting a phone like this too (but fancier). They were considered retro old fashioned at the time.

[Image: stickphonecat.jpg]

Pretty song. Makes me nostalgic for I don't know what. I guess what was considered "simpler times".
Commando Cunt Queen
Cool video and audio, Cars. Ronnie Milsap's version of the song is really smooth.

I'm glad some of the 50s and 60s carried into the 70s and 80s (and beyond).

I played jacks with my sisters, went to drive-in movies a lot, smoked a Lucky Strike or two, watched more than a few Honeymooner's re-runs. Good times...
(05-21-2014, 11:18 PM)crash Wrote: I bet you smiled like a split watermelon at 2:32, Cars..

Actually, I had similar all of those beauties except for the woody.

Did you notice the gas prices at 2.23? hah

The wax bottles with the colored sugar water were my favorite when I was little, but then again I was a strange kid, I chewed on the wax like it was gum.
(05-22-2014, 08:49 AM)Carsman Wrote: Actually, I had similar all of those beauties except for the woody.

Did you notice the gas prices at 2.23? hah

Man, if I could have got my hands on some of those, I would have been glad to be born 20 years earlier. Fins are what my dreams are made of..

Yeah, 30 odd cents a gallon. I remember being little and the old man whinging about it getting over 10 cents a litre (40c/gal). When I was 15, it was around 15-17cpl (60-75c/gal). Now it's $1.70/l or US$6.50/gal..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
I love the song on the video. Reminds me of my parents dancing when I was little. My parents could cut the rug!
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(05-22-2014, 09:00 AM)cannongal Wrote: The wax bottles with the colored sugar water were my favorite when I was little, but then again I was a strange kid, I chewed on the wax like it was gum.

I like those too and still chew on the wax like it was gum. Some convenience stores and I think CVS carry them.
(05-22-2014, 09:58 AM)sally Wrote:
(05-22-2014, 09:00 AM)cannongal Wrote: The wax bottles with the colored sugar water were my favorite when I was little, but then again I was a strange kid, I chewed on the wax like it was gum.

I like those too and still chew on the wax like it was gum. Some convenience stores and I think CVS carry them.

There's a couple of candy stores that sell them up here. Used to be able to get a pack of 5 for 10 cents, now they're $2.50 Signs_173

All kids should get to experience penny candy. Any time I've ever mentioned it they look at me like I have snakes coming out of my head.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I have memories and my mom tries to make me crazy telling me that what I remember didn't happen. I remember a tornado going through our area and tearing the roof off a shopping center. She said it didn't happen. I finally googled it when we were talking about tornadoes in another thread and found a story about it. My mom drank/drinks a lot at night. She was probably passed out in bed while the rest of us were huddled in the basement.

I also remember deliveries of milk in glass containers that came in metal carriers although she thinks I'm a few eggs shy of a dozen. Bullshit. I am clearly right and she is wrong and that's that. Dramaqueen
Commando Cunt Queen
(05-22-2014, 06:21 PM)username Wrote: I have memories and my mom tries to make me crazy telling me that what I remember didn't happen. I remember a tornado going through our area and tearing the roof off a shopping center. She said it didn't happen. I finally googled it when we were talking about tornadoes in another thread and found a story about it. My mom drank/drinks a lot at night. She was probably passed out in bed while the rest of us were huddled in the basement.

I also remember deliveries of milk in glass containers that came in metal carriers although she thinks I'm a few eggs shy of a dozen. Bullshit. I am clearly right and she is wrong and that's that. Dramaqueen

Yes the milk man, and also the bread man, the Dugan man, the knife/scissor sharpening man, the ice man, the rag man, to name a few others who came down the streets way back when.

I remember all those guys coming around daily/weekly or whatever, the milk in the glass bottles still had cream on top of it, had that little paper stopper on the top.

User, I don't remember when the Milk Man stopped coming around but I am surprised you remember him at all

Cars...Great slow dancing song
hear ya go, just found this.

[Image: DuganBreadDeliveryW_zps15700688.jpg]

I didn't have a milk man or a rag man, but I remember my parents talking fondly about them. The cream on top of the milk and the ragman had the hots for my grandma. What the hell is a rag man anyway? Is it the obvious?
(05-23-2014, 09:46 PM)sally Wrote: What the hell is a rag man anyway? Is it the obvious?

Yup.

He wanted grandma's used rags.
The Rag Man was a old man with disheveled clothes who sat on the seat of an open, weathered wagon drawn by a horse. Whenever the neighborhood children heard the sound of the clumping of the horse’s metal shoes on the pavement and the old man calling out “rags, rags,” in broken English, the children would stop what they were playing and run to the edge of the grass to watch the horse drawn wagon slowly pass by.

Some of the neighborhood women would come out holding armfuls of old clothes to give to the Rag Man. The Rag Man would pull the reins to stop the horse and then he would jump down from his wagon perch and greet the women with a wrinkled smile and take their dirty, torn rags/clothes and gently place them in his weathered wagon as if they were a wonderful treasure. Once his job was done, he climbed back up on his ripped wagon seat and gently shook the reins for the horse to continue the slow trot down the middle of the street while the old man called out “rags, rags” in broken English.

(In essence, he was a junk collector)

Those were the days. Didn't even have to lock your doors !
[Image: Naughty_Grandma_by_Momma__G.gif]
I spent time with grandmother in Racine, WI when I was very young.

Whenever she didn't like something I was doing she'd give me the 'I'll put you out for the rag man to pick up' line.

Never saw him, but didn't want to either.