Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
KIDS & CORPORAL PUNISHMENT

What's your opinion on it? Did your parents use it on you? Do you think it's a parent's right or do you view it as abuse?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
My dad always tells this story of 4 year old me, and him saying if I crossed the street I'd get a spanking, and he didn't want to see me put even one foot in the street. So I apparently walked over to the curb and dipped one toe onto the street and he says I caught a got a spanking for that. I don't really have memories from when I was 4 tho, so I can't honestly recall ever being spanked. I was a pretty good kid tho... rarely had reason to be punished.
(09-14-2014, 07:29 AM)Duchess Wrote:

What's your opinion on it? Did your parents use it on you? Do you think it's a parent's right or do you view it as abuse?

Yes, and I used it too. Nothing wrong with an ass-whooping when they need it, as long as parents don't go overboard and beat the hell out of their kids.
Oh, I guess I forgot my opinion. Spanking is fine, but I'm more comfortable with physical punishment for boys than for girls. Definitely a parent's prerogative but within reason. No weapons or injury. Gramma using the ol' wooden spoon is ok.

Course, if the fiancee needs a good spanking... i'm all over that one too.
Mom whooped the shit out of us as kids, we deserved most of it. Didn't do us any harm that I can tell, think it made me smarter, brothers though...not so sure it worked on them, they kept doing the same stupid shit.
Used it on my kids, they got smart fast, never spanked either one of them after about 2 or 3.
Daughter will pop one of them on the butt if they need it, buy she raised them pretty smart too..
Most kids need some, but starting at 5 or 6 is a mistake, got to start early, be consistent and try not to be emotional about it, Actions, Results
I spank *gasp* and was spanked as a child and hit with the belt frequently.I do not think it's abuse as long as it is not done with excessive force and on the buttocks.
I beat the living crap outta my kids just in case they fuck up. Daily.....hah <----------PC smiley!!!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(09-14-2014, 10:01 AM)Cutz Wrote: Oh, I guess I forgot my opinion. Spanking is fine, but I'm more comfortable with physical punishment for boys than for girls. Definitely a parent's prerogative but within reason. No weapons or injury. Gramma using the ol' wooden spoon is ok.

Course, if the fiancee needs a good spanking... i'm all over that one too.
yeah, mom used the wooden spoon on me and my brothers....alot. Then she had the nerve to blame us when she broke the spoon while spanking our behinds,
Dad spanked us when we were young. The biggest spanking I remember getting wasn't for what I did, it was for lying to him about it. I was 8 or 9 at the time. Once my sister and I started developing-dad never laid a hand on us again.

My mother hated "back talk" with a passion. It only took a couple of times that I smarted off to her as a young teen to learn my lesson. Her hand was faster than a striking snake-you never saw it coming-just heard the smack on your face and felt the pain.

I gave my kids a swat on the butt a couple of times each when they were really young. The swats were for doing dangerous shit that could get them maimed or killed (we lived on the farm then). After 5 or 6 years old I didn't have to swat them, they knew that mom's word was law.

I don't believe corporal punishment is terrible thing-if it is used judiciously. Beating and wailing on your kids in anger does no one any good and I don't believe in using anything but an open hand on the buttocks.
This seems like simply legislating common sense, to me. But, I think Massachusetts' Supreme Court got it right.

Snip:
Massachusetts' highest court for the first time established legal guidelines Thursday for the use of physical punishment by parents, saying it's permissible to discipline a child by spanking so long as "reasonable" force is used and the child is not harmed.

The Supreme Judicial Court issued the framework while reversing the assault and battery conviction of a Brockton man who had been seen by police spanking his almost 3-year-old daughter near a bus station.

Corporal punishment cases had come before the court in the past, but the justices noted that specific guidelines had never been issued for the parental privilege defense, leaving open the question of whether spanking was allowed under any circumstances in Massachusetts.

Writing for the seven-member court, Justice Barbara Lenk said two important interests needed to be balanced: protecting children against abuse; and avoiding unnecessary interference with the rights of parents to raise children as they see fit.

Spanking or other mild physical punishment was permissible if "the force used against the minor child is reasonable," and used for the purpose of "safeguarding or promoting the welfare of the minor, including the prevention or punishment of the minor's misconduct."

But the court made clear that force can never be used if it causes or risks causing any lasting physical or emotional harm, and concluded that the overall balance must always tip in favor of protecting children from abuse masking as discipline.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/spanking-gui...igh-court/
Spanking was very effective for me....I developed a high tolerance for pain. Too bad the intended discipline effect didn't work on me.

Wow. Spanking has been legislated.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]