SCHOOL LUNCHES

Could this possibly be true?!

The picture of the American school lunch is one a kid posted to Michelle Obama thanking her. Sarcastically of course and the rest of the lunches are what kids are getting around the world.

Do the kids you know say anything about what is given them at school?

[Image: 25CCCD1400000578-0-image-a-5_1424269899593.jpg]

[Image: 25C3DF2E00000578-2957301-Balanced_diet_I...473415.jpg]

[Image: 25C3DF2A00000578-2957301-In_Finland_lunc...473399.jpg]

[Image: 25C3DF1900000578-2957301-South_Korean_ch...473592.jpg]

[Image: 25C3DF2500000578-2957301-Brie_green_bean...473531.jpg]

[Image: 25C3DF2100000578-2957301-A_meal_of_tradi...473633.jpg]

[Image: 25C3DF0600000578-2957301-Wholesome_Seede...473585.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
That lunch pictured for an American student is spot on.

I had lunch with my son a couple of months ago and was pretty unimpressed with what was offered. The other shitty part of it is it costs $3.50 per day. No value whatsoever IMO.

Now, would a 2nd grader or Kindergartner eat those other lunches? The ones with all the veggies and greens? Not sure.

We mix it up, sending home lunch 3 X week and eat at school a couple of times.

Not sure there's a perfect solution.
(02-18-2015, 04:49 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Now, would a 2nd grader or Kindergartner eat those other lunches? The ones with all the veggies and greens? Not sure.

I guess that would depend on whether their parents introduced them to a diverse healthy diet at a young age and didn't cop any of their whiny shit or whether they coddled them and fed them all the crap they wanted.
(02-18-2015, 05:09 PM)crash Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 04:49 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Now, would a 2nd grader or Kindergartner eat those other lunches? The ones with all the veggies and greens? Not sure.

I guess that would depend on whether their parents introduced them to a diverse healthy diet at a young age and didn't cop any of their whiny shit or whether they coddled them and fed them all the crap they wanted.

Agreed, however, when dealing with a six or seven year old, would they opt for broccoli over French fries or chicken strips over broiled halibut?

Realistically speaking I know what even the best raised kids are opting for 90% of the time.
(02-18-2015, 05:28 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Agreed, however, when dealing with a six or seven year old, would they opt for broccoli over French fries or chicken strips over broiled halibut?

Realistically speaking I know what even the best raised kids are opting for 90% of the time.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the whole school lunches being provided thing. Do they get a choice?

We have never had school lunches in Australia for as long as I can remember. You ate your breakfast at home and your mum or dad packed your lunch for you. On the odd occasion, for a treat, I was sent to school with a few dollars and I bought my lunch from the school canteen.

I see what you're saying, MS, given a choice and no parental intervention (along with a bit of peer pressure) the kid is going to take the fries and the chicken strips 99 times out of a hundred.
School lunch at our elementary school does give the student a choice, even a kindergartner. The day I went with my son, he barely took anything that was offered, leading to my waste of $$$ comment.

When I was in school it seemed like your tray was filled with food and you then had a choice to eat it all.

I'd be interested to know if in those other countries where the lunches were shown, if that's subsidized or if it's an extra cost, like here in my state.
I think the pictures in the OP are obviously slanted to make the divide between the other lunches and the American lunch wider than it actually is. If you do a bit of googling of the other countries, there are plenty of examples of shitty lunches in their countries too.

Once again, I think the focus is being taken away from parenting here. If you genuinely care about what your kids are eating, you will ensure they go to school with a healthy lunch.
The American lunch would probably look great too if the photo lighting was better and it was served on a crisp white tray like the others. Sarcastic

Actually, it's looks like prison grub. I wonder if Mady Bixby is doing a little time?

We usually took our lunches to LA public school. There, the cafeteria had a set lunch for each week day (no choices). You paid the cashier, grabbed a tray and tried to trade your wilted salad for somebody's tater tots.

ETA: sorry Crash -- posting at the same time.
I'm pretty sure my kids would take any of that over the American slop they showed. All my kids have expensive taste, they'd take raw oysters and king crab legs over a sloppy joe and tator tots any day.

I packed their lunches when they were in kindergarten to maybe 3rd grade and after that it wasn't cool to bring your lunch to school anymore. Whatever, eat the slop then. Or just wait until you get home to eat I guess.
(02-18-2015, 07:47 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: The American lunch would probably look great too if the photo lighting was better and it was served on a crisp white tray like the others. Sarcastic

I think those crisp white trays are disposable cardboard. That American plastic tray is a lie, at least here anyway. The schools here get the disposable trays too.

When I was a kid we did get the plastic trays. You know, the ones you have to actually wash.
I know sal. I was just kidding, as in crisp white tablecloths and crisp white sheets and such. We had plastic trays too.

It looks like those school lunches from other countries were staged and taken by the same photographer. I doubt that if a kid in one of those countries snapped their actual cafeteria food tray that it would look as good as the photos -- but, maybe their school lunches really do look like nice restaurant food. In any case, I'd have no problem eating any of those lunches (except the American one).

There are other photos of American school lunches that look edible though. I could eat this one.

[Image: healthy-school-lunch.jpg]

I read that in Chicago some schools forbid kids to bring their own lunches now, for health reasons. I think that's bullshit.
(02-18-2015, 08:40 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I read that in Chicago some schools forbid kids to bring their own lunches now, for health reasons. I think that's bullshit.

It's becoming an issue here too. If you have a kid at your school who has a nut allergy or a seafood allergy, they are asking other kids not to bring those type of foods. You know, make the herd suffer for the sake of one mentality. I don't think they've forbidden home packed lunches as yet (I doubt they could unless school provided lunches become a thing), but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. The next great act of ass-covery.
Yeah, well kids are dropping dead everywhere nowadays just from the smell of canned tuna and Cracker Jacks.
(02-18-2015, 08:49 PM)crash Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 08:40 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I read that in Chicago some schools forbid kids to bring their own lunches now, for health reasons. I think that's bullshit.

It's becoming an issue here too. If you have a kid at your school who has a nut allergy or a seafood allergy, they are asking other kids not to bring those type of foods. You know, make the herd suffer for the sake of one mentality. I don't think they've forbidden home packed lunches as yet (I doubt they could unless school provided lunches become a thing), but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. The next great act of ass-covery.

Ironic times.

Forbid parents from feeding their own kids lunch because some people might not consider the lunch healthy enough, or because another kid in the school might be allergic to something in the home-packed lunch, or some other interventionist excuse.

BUT, it's okay for parents to send little Suzie to spend the day with a bunch of other kids though she's not been vaccinated against communicable diseases (because her parents know better than doctors, or because vaccinations violate the parents' religious beliefs, or some other excuse that opens the door to a legitimate potential health threat to others).
(02-19-2015, 12:05 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Ironic times.

Forbid parents from feeding their own kids lunch because some people might not consider the lunch healthy enough, or because another kid in the school might be allergic to something in the home-packed lunch, or some other interventionist excuse.

BUT, it's okay for parents to send little Suzie to spend the day with a bunch of other kids though she's not been vaccinated against communicable diseases (because her parents know better than doctors, or because vaccinations violate the parents' religious beliefs, or some other excuse that opens the door to a legitimate potential health threat to others).

Fuckin A!

Maybe those parents should start cocooning their kids who have those ridiculous food allergies, other children shouldn't have to pay the price. I'd be interested in knowing why their needs are more important than the other kids.

My girlfriend was telling me that in order for her kids to start school they all had to have up to date shot records. Why are the unvaccinated kids being allowed into the school system?

If I were a parent I would resent all those lil' fuckers with their special food needs and the ability they have to carry & transmit a childhood illness.
(02-19-2015, 07:34 AM)Duchess Wrote: My girlfriend was telling me that in order for her kids to start school they all had to have up to date shot records. Why are the unvaccinated kids being allowed into the school system?

All 50 states in the US require school kids to be vaccinated. BUT, there are exemptions that legally allow parents to be waived of the requirement on three different grounds.

1. Medical exemption -- all 50 states allow parents to send their kid to school without being vaccinated if the child has a condition that could be worsened by the vaccination. Of course, it's understandable that a child not get certain vaccinations in that case. What's not understandable to me is that only now are states looking at making it a requirement that parents claiming medical exemptions provide a doctor's verification.

2. Religious exemption -- all 50 states except Mississippi and West Virginia allow parents to send their kids to school without being vaccinated if vaccinations contradict their sincere religious beliefs.

3. Philosophical exemption -- 20 states allow parents to send their kids to school without being vaccinated if vaccinations simply rub them the wrong way. So really, vaccinations aren't a requirement at all in those states (in my opinion).

This site has a good summary of state-by-state vaccination requirements: http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/scho...-laws.aspx

I believe that parents should have the right to do what they think is right for their children BUT if they aren't going to vaccinate, then they shouldn't be allowed into the school system. No exceptions. They should not be allowed to put other kids at risk.
Do illegals have to show their vaccination validation records? And I send my kids to school with lunches that they have to make the day before.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-19-2015, 11:26 AM)Maggot Wrote: Do illegals have to show their vaccination validation records?

I won't be surprised if they don't. I stopped being surprised when I discovered they had a right to sue an American and they had no fear of being in a courthouse even though they are ILLEGAL!