Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen King's 'It' heads to theaters
This could be awesome if they do it right!

[Image: 74713-it_clown_341x182.jpg]
Warner Bros. is bringing Stephen King's landmark horror novel "It" to the big screen in an adaptation being produced by Lin Pictures and Vertigo Entertainment.

Dave Kajganich has been hired pen the script, which follows a group of kids called the Losers Club that encounter a creature called It, which preys on children and whose favorite form is that of a sadistic clown called Pennywise. When the creature resurfaces, the kids are called upon to regroup again, this time as adults, even though they have no memory of the first battle.

The novel is set in 1958 and 1985, though the feature version will be set in the present day.

"It" was the best-selling book of 1986 and in 1990 was turned into an ABC miniseries that starred John Ritter, Harry Anderson, Tim Reid, Annette O'Toole and Richard Thomas. Tim Curry played Pennywise.

The screen rights have bounced around town since then, and at one time landing at the WB and again at Sci Fi.

Kajganich, repped by UTA and Madhouse Entertainment, has stealthily made a name for himself with his dark materials, writing "The Invasion" for Warners and snagging gigs such as the "Pet Semetary" remake among others. He was recently tapped to write New Line's "Escape From New York" remake and is adapting "True Story" for Plan B and Paramount Vantage. The latter is a mystery drama.

Greg Silverman and Niija Kuykendall are overseeing for Warners.
That's probably my all time favourite Stephen King novel and I enjoyed the TV miniseries as well.
I will reserve judgement until I see it but if any of the other recent horror "remakes" and "re-imaginings" are anything to go by, I fear the worst.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
They're remaking "Escape From New York"?!?

Assholes.

"It" doesn't need to be remade either. This shit pisses me off.
Remaking John Carpenter films should be made illegal.

The remakes of the Fog and Assault on precinct 13 were fucking shit.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I don't see how a movie could do 'It' justice. The mini-series was barely enough to squeeze in the storyline, and even that missed some important components.
Are there not any good original stories left to be shown anymore? Remaking a movie with another movie is about as lame as it gets...........Hey,lets remake "Gone with the wind"! ::rollseyes::
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I was scared out of my mind the first time I watched It, back when movies were cool. Now they are all CGI. Fuckers.
With all the supposed budding scriptwriters out there, no one can come up with an original story? Or a movie adaption of a book that has not been done already?
QueenBee Wrote:Or a movie adaption of a book that has not been done already?
Like Stephen King & Peter Straub'sThe Talisman. I'd give a kidney to see that book made into a good movie.
I was a kid when the miniseries came out, oh my gawd terrified me.

Not sure how a 2 hour movie will work, but I may go watch
The book was terrifying. The idea of voices of dead children floating up from the drainpipes scared the shit out of me.
Sinister Wrote:
QueenBee Wrote:Or a movie adaption of a book that has not been done already?
Like Stephen King & Peter Straub'sThe Talisman. I'd give a kidney to see that book made into a good movie.
Funny thing..when the book first came out, I did not like it much. Read it again several years later and liked it a lot.
LuMPyPussy Wrote:The book was terrifying. The idea of voices of dead children floating up from the drainpipes scared the shit out of me.
Bathroom drains still creep me out a little. :shock:
This could be awesome if they do it right!

Why would they start now? Every fucking movie based on a King book has been a piece of shit. Every single one.......::wait::
Fug duh kund
Luke Warmwater Wrote:This could be awesome if they do it right!

Why would they start now? Every fucking movie based on a King book has been a piece of shit. Every single one.......::wait::

WRONG -
1) Shawshank Redemption is arguably one of the best movies of all time and is based on a King book. Along the same lines The Green mile is pretty good also.

Going down the list -
Stand By Me - great movie - won awards
Misery - also really well done and award winning
The Shining is overdone and pompous, but still pretty good.
The Dead Zone - classic
Carrie was also a classic.

I agree that many have sucked, but he still has had some pretty good ones.
Mostly true, but not entirely.

Dead Zone
Stand by Me
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Carrie

I'm not going to include The Shining since the movie had little to do with the book and Kubrick took a steaming pile of poo on it.
At the end of Carrie when that hand came up outta the ground ~ I came up outta my seat.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Liquid Wrote:
Luke Warmwater Wrote:This could be awesome if they do it right!

WRONG -
1) Shawshank Redemption is arguably one of the best movies of all time and is based on a King book. Along the same lines The Green mile is pretty good also.

Going down the list -
Stand By Me - great movie - won awards
Misery - also really well done and award winning
The Shining is overdone and pompous, but still pretty good.
The Dead Zone - classic
Carrie was also a classic.

I agree that many have sucked, but he still has had some pretty good ones.
Thanks for explaining to the tard why King movies do NOT suck. Got my vote. Anyone who has seen either The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile can no longer say King movies are shit.
I just want to add that I didn't copy Liquid's post, we were apparently typing at approximately the same time.
I am still worried about a new version of It because for every Dead Zone there is:-

Maximum Overdrive - Emilio Estevez against intelligent killer motor vehicles - shit.
Creepshow 2 - Takes the anthology idea of Creepshow 1 and totally destroys it.
A return to Salems lot - just......awful
Sleepwalkers - deadly cat people.....suck!
Graveyard shit - rats.........suck!
Sometimes they come back - makes you wish they hadn't bothered returning.
The Mangler - Robert Englunds lowest career point at this time.
The rage - carrie 2 - A sequel not worthy of licking the ballsack of the original.
Dreamcatcher - Just.......awful.
The Secret Window - or much a do about nothing, more accurately.