Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are black students getting help at home?
The number of African-American 4th grade students scoring proficient in 1990 on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, or NAEP, in reading and math were 8 and 1 percent, respectively. Those numbers climbed to 18 and 19 percent in 2015, but the national average for 4th grade proficiency is 36 percent in reading and 40 percent in math.

I really don't think blaming schools is the answer.

link
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'd bet a good majority of the black population is illiterate and in poverty. Even with the same opportunities as everyone else, that cycle passed throughout generations is hard to break. What the fuck do you expect Maggot? And why do you even care about the little pickaninnies anyway?

I agree, however, that the schools aren't to blame.
(12-10-2015, 09:44 PM)sally Wrote: I'd bet a good majority of the black population is illiterate and in poverty. Even with the same opportunities as everyone else, that cycle passed throughout generations is hard to break. What the fuck do you expect Maggot? And why do you even care about the little pickaninnies anyway?

I agree, however, that the schools aren't to blame.

I also agree mostly that schools aren't to blame. But to just throw it on the back of Blacks is a bit out there. I am mostly surrounded by illiterate Whites and Browns. Sucks for the kids that need help with their homework. Which throws it back into the classroom. The teachers know. And yet kids are punished for their ignorant stupid shit parents. Everyday.

And actually? the Blacks in my area rank way higher in intelligence than the white trash. Which the white trash is way more prevalent.

That is about as racist as I get. But, ya'll just carry on. And don't forget to vote TRUMP!
I don't blame the schools for black kids scoring lower than other races overall.

And, it's great to see that black kids are scoring WAY higher than most of their parents did. I think the schools deserve some credit for that, as do the parents, the social policies, and changing mindsets.

If black kids improved their scores at the same rate in the next 15 years as they have in the last 15 years and white kids remained constant, the black kids would probably take the lead.

I think if each generation of students experiences more equality of opportunities, the scores will continue to rise from generation to generation for blacks and other minorities. It seems logical to me that the more educated the parents, the greater their ability to assist their children academically and encourage them to pursue learning.

Anyway, I hope the new law turning more control over education to the states turns out to benefit all students across the country.

This is a good view of how 4th and 8th grade students have performed in math alone from 1990 to 2013, broken down by race.

[Image: figure-cnc-3.gif]
Source: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cnc.asp
I blame schools. Not anyone in the schools particularly, but I blame schools in general for "progressing" students who aren't proficient for their grade level. I saw more HS students who hadn't learned to read in grade school than I could believe.

If you can't read... you don't graduate 8th grade. You get sent to vocational school. We need more plumbers and HVAC people in America anyway.
The schools are solely at fault.

Of course many of these students are not getting the necessary encouragement at home. Some aren't even being taught the meaning of the word "no" and they come to school out of control. But it';s the adults'responsibility to set boundaries and teach them. It's the adults' responsibility to punish them for failure and reward them for success. The adults are failing.

Fire the school boards. What's going on is criminal. The LA school board has the time to boycott Arizona but it lacks the time to teach anybody to read and write. Rescind their pensions. Fire them with unction. Get someone else who can do the job.
[Image: egypt_5.gif]
(12-10-2015, 10:13 PM)Cutz Wrote: I blame schools. Not anyone in the schools particularly, but I blame schools in general for "progressing" students who aren't proficient for their grade level. I saw more HS students who hadn't learned to read in grade school than I could believe.

If you can't read... you don't graduate 8th grade. You get sent to vocational school. We need more plumbers and HVAC people in America anyway.

I agree with that too and that's how they do it in other countries. Only here in America can you pass the language without knowing how to speak it fluently.
Certainly schools can do better and American children should be better educated (and not progressed to the next grade prematurely).

But, I think failures in those areas affect all children equally. I don't think those current systematic failures by the schools are to blame for black kids scoring lower than their peers in academic testing.
(12-10-2015, 10:24 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Certainly schools can do better and American children should be better educated (and not progressed to the next grade prematurely).

But, I think failures in those areas affect all children equally. I don't think those current systematic failures by the schools are to blame for black kids scoring lower than their peers in academic testing.

Sure it is.

Black kids need boundaries more than white kids because they are far more likely to come from broken homes. In a normal family fathers, mothers, uncles, everyone has a function in learning the kid to function and in the mess created by government these families rarely exist. Children don't get all the instruction they need at home and they come to school barely fetched. They need instruction and instead they get weak tea and smilie faces from an educational system that most fears hurting anyone's feelings. This is PC is; the fear of hurting feelings. Well guess what. When you have some miscreant who thinks disrupting the class is the height of good humor you're going to have to hurt his feelings. And you're going to have to be willing to escalate the hurt feelings or he's just going to end up in a life of crime and dragging the rest of the class with him. Blacks are just as intelligent as whites and the achievement gap is caused by government and school boards.
Sorry Clad.

My experiences as a kid and the experiences of the kids in my family now don't match up to how you described us and other non-black families.

My observations as an adult don't line up with your contention that school boards (and I think you just tossed in government) are solely responsible for black kids scoring lower on average than their peers. I believe there are several contributing factors.

And, I don't believe that black kids are all behavioral problems that hamper learning for themselves and others, but can't be properly addressed due to PC paranoia.

Different experiences and viewpoints.
My experiences as a kid match up to how Clad described it. Here the majority of black children in schools live in the ghetto and projects and that reflects on their behavior at school. Never mind teaching them how to behave in a civilized matter, teaching them how to say four instead of foe was a challenge. And I'm not saying this to be funny at all.
(12-10-2015, 10:48 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Sorry Clad.

My experiences as a kid and the experiences of the kids in my family now don't match up to how you described us and other non-black families.

My observations as an adult don't line up with your contention that school boards (and I think you just tossed in government) are solely responsible for black kids scoring lower on average than their peers. I believe there are several contributing factors.

And, I don't believe that black kids are all behavioral problems that hamper learning for themselves and others, but can't be properly addressed due to PC paranoia.

Different experiences and viewpoints.

It takes only one bad apple to spoil a barrel.

White kids are more likely to grow up in families but it's not a certainty.

Government not only defines education now days but they are defining black families by providing money principally to those headed by women. And they provide more money to women with more children independently of whether there's a father present or not. It's independent of the number of fathers. It's independent of whether the mother teaches any of her children what "no" means or not. It's independent of whether here children succeed or are fed before school. It'ds independent of her resources so long as she spends everything beforee the next check. The school's no better at all. They only care about money from the government too. They get their loot whether anyone learns anything or not. They get huge piles of cash and black kids represent even larger piles of cash than white kids because their lives are worth more now days. Not only do black lives matter but they have way more civil rights than you or me. This is the new math. Don't shoot 'em in the streets or teach them how to add and subtract because the government has already taught them to multiply. We have ever more children being denied even the most basic education while people blame the parents and teachers instead of who's really responsible; school boards ands government.

It';s the status quo failing these children and the police and courts asked to deal with it.
(12-10-2015, 10:58 PM)sally Wrote: My experiences as a kid match up to how Clad described it. Here the majority of black children in schools live in the ghetto and projects and that reflects on their behavior at school. Never mind teaching them how to behave in a civilized matter, teaching them how to say four instead of foe was a challenge. And I'm not saying this to be funny at all.

In my family, we didn't have both parents and other relatives actively involved in our education and learning on a daily basis.

But, Clad did say "normal" non-black families operate that way. We might not have been 'normal' by some standards; that wouldn't surprise me.
Schools don't hold kids back a year as often as they used to. If they held back kids someone would find displeasure in the racial makeup of the ones that are held back. The schools would be in trouble then.
So they go along from grade to grade and the kids that advance learn their lessons and up the ladder they go. Meanwhile the kids that aren't absorbing the material also go up the ladder but may miss a step or two. They go to college and get in by affirmative action still not really learning anything but advancing because of the quotas that need to be filled.
They get out in the real world and have a badge that says they went to school try to get hired by companies that are looking for people with good grades. They get passed on as the better ones get the jobs and again are displeased at the seemingly non-diversity of companies and civic entities that hire the grads.
In the end everyone loses because at the beginning the kids that went to school as a social event and not as a learning experience have fallen behind their peers that studied and passed the tests.
I believe those kids are in college now and the future looks grim. I bet that many will be given more time to complete their mid terms because they were protesting as did the ones that were involved in the occupy movement that went on a few years ago. And its not just blacks but the study seems to place them in the lower tier.

I don't know many people who sent their kids to public schools and it makes me laugh to remember that I damn near begged my parents to send me to one.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yeah private schools are where its at today, I just wish there was a tax break that went along with it.
One of the things they could do to fix the schools is increase the number of "grades". Divide the coursework up into discrete six week or two month packages and then make every child master the package before being advanced. When the threat of not progressing is real more kids will buckle down and learn it.
What I see with my kids and they are still in grade school is they are taught something one week then another thing the next never really mastering the week before. They don't even teach the multiplication tables, I had to teach that to my son myself and he still has trouble with 7's he's in 4th grade
Personally I never saw the use of multiplication tables, once I learned how to multiply why bother memorizing?
I always have had numbers rolling around in my head anyway
That's weird that his school didn't teach times tables, Maggot. It's still something that's taught in second or third grade in public schools here.

My youngest niece was here for Thanksgiving. She's great at reading and spelling, but struggles with math.

We played some made-up math games with a jar of coins and she did pretty well and had fun with it though. She made up a rule that she got to keep the change when she got the answer right. Crafty.