Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Adopting a pet
I've never done this before. I had no idea that part of the process is that they come into your home. I don't know these people and I enjoy my privacy. Has anyone ever done this before?
I've always adopted from a shelter. No home visit. But I've heard some places do that to make sure the home is a good environment. Some people adopt animals and use thrm for bait in dog fighting.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(02-18-2016, 11:28 AM)ramseycat Wrote: I've always adopted from a shelter. No home visit. But I've heard some places do that to make sure the home is a good environment. Some people adopt animals and use thrm for bait in dog fighting.
Both of the shelters I've applied to require a home visit. I have nothing to hide, but I don't know these people, don't plan on getting to know them or ever have them over for a cup of fucking tea and the extensive 3 page applications I submitted already confirm I have a fenced yard and a dogie door, so I'm just not getting why they would need to invade my privacy.

I've been hearing of that the past couple of years. Although I understand it I do agree that it is invasive and I would think that something from your vet would suffice.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-18-2016, 01:41 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I've been hearing of that the past couple of years. Although I understand it I do agree that it is invasive and I would think that something from your vet would suffice.
And they have my vet's info already.
(02-18-2016, 01:45 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: And they have my vet's info already.

By many people's standards that should be more than sufficient.
(02-18-2016, 01:46 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 01:45 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: And they have my vet's info already.

By many people's standards that should be more than sufficient.
I have agreed to the home invasion, I mean inspection, but I intend to let them know that I don't think it's necessary, and that it's an invasion of my privacy.
(02-18-2016, 02:27 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I have agreed to the home invasion, I mean inspection, but I intend to let them know that I don't think it's necessary, and that it's an invasion of my privacy.

The older I get the more I find I have mixed feelings about pretty much every goddamn thing. I really like knowing that there are those who will go to great lengths to insure that an animal goes to a safe & loving, forever, home but I also see how some would find it excessive. At the end of the day, you are tolerating something you don't like in order to bring a new pet into your family and that's a wonderful thing. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(02-18-2016, 11:28 AM)ramseycat Wrote: I've always adopted from a shelter. No home visit. But I've heard some places do that to make sure the home is a good environment. Some people adopt animals and use thrm for bait in dog fighting.

But not Michael Vick!
(02-18-2016, 02:38 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 02:27 PM)Blindgreed1 Wrote: I have agreed to the home invasion, I mean inspection, but I intend to let them know that I don't think it's necessary, and that it's an invasion of my privacy.

The older I get the more I find I have mixed feelings about pretty much every goddamn thing. I really like knowing that there are those who will go to great lengths to insure that an animal goes to a safe & loving, forever, home but I also see how some would find it excessive. At the end of the day, you are tolerating something you don't like in order to bring a new pet into your family and that's a wonderful thing. Smiley_emoticons_smile
And I'm paying good money to rescue the pet. If there wasn't an extensive amount of info already given I would understand the need to inspect the home, but FFS, the only thing they haven't asked my for is the routing number to my checking account hah
They just check the tub for alligators its fast.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
And any used needles laying around.
(02-18-2016, 06:18 PM)sally Wrote: And any used needles laying around.
Well they won't find any heroin in them if that's what they're looking for. hah
This is the first I've heard of home inspections when adopting a dog, but I don't think it's too much of an inconvenience just to do a quick look-around to make sure it's not going to be used as a bait dog.

Or they could just do racial profiling, but that would probably cause a shit storm with the black community.
(02-18-2016, 08:26 PM)sally Wrote: This is the first I've heard of home inspections when adopting a dog, but I don't think it's too much of an inconvenience just to do a quick look-around to make sure it's not going to be used as a bait dog.

Or they could just do racial profiling, but that would probably cause a shit storm with the black community.
Neither do I, but that's really not in question here since they already have the history on my last 3 dogs complete with vet records going back the last 30 years. And if I was going to use the puppy as a bait dog, would you be able to tell by a visit to my home? Doubtful.
Quick update, I have applied for two more since posting this thread last week. Both had me fill out the extensive 3 page application and both state they would contact me within 72 hours. I have emailed and called and left a message for both that it has been well over 72 hours and I'd like to hear back. No response from either...

That really is incredible given the number of animals that are dying, literally, waiting to be placed in a forever home. It's disgusting to me.
Unfortunately this kind of suspicion on the part of the adoption agencies has been called for because of the abuse cases that all of us have heard about. Sux for you, but better for the animals, down side is its all run by volunteers and they only have just so much time.
Good luck, hope they get you hooked up soon.
I'm giving it one more week. If nobody get's back to me by next week I will give up on adopting from a shelter and just hit Craig's list. I've been at it for two weeks now and have only heard back from one shelter and they were trying to push a specific breed which seems no better than a puppy mill disguised as a shelter to me.
I once got a dog that wandered into the yard one day he lasted a few years but they were fun years.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.