BOOM!
Outside of a natural disaster what would make a building collapse in the United States? We normally only see shit like that in countries where codes aren't enforced and their regulations suck.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
There is a high rise tower in Sydney called Mascot Tower. It is ultra posh and it has been found to have cracks in it and they think it is going to collapse. Some people have spent all their life savings just getting a deposit on a flat in there. How bad is that?

For me, I need a backyard with animals to play in.
(06-24-2021, 11:03 AM)Duchess Wrote: Outside of a natural disaster what would make a building collapse in the United States? We normally only see shit like that in countries where codes aren't enforced and their regulations suck.

Fly some planes into them.
We got into a taxi the other day because we had to pick up the car that was being serviced. The car smelt of vomit and it was disgusting you could even see a little bit of it. This is what happens when you import cheap labour from the 3rd world. I rang the Taxi company and complained as we have health and safety standards, and particularly with COVID going around you would think they would be extra precious about being perfect. We had to wind the windows down in the cold the odour was so bad. I told the cab company to ensure that dude never came around again. All this just because you put your car in for a service. I am a tolerant person, but not to people who are unhygenic and those who are importing 3rd world labour without consulting the voters.
You're preaching to the choirs, we have our own 3rd world invasion going on. And they are Kung flu positive.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
The condo was built in the 80s so they have no clue why it went down other then because of maybe the shifting sands being that it was built on a barrier island. Crazy.
I'm stunned that something built in the 80's was inferior.
(06-25-2021, 08:54 PM)sally Wrote: The condo was built in the 80s 

...and built to withstand hurricane force winds. 

I hate to use the word perfect given the loss of life, but for lack of a better word, that building came down perfectly. The end result is what people strive for when demolishing a highrise. 
(06-26-2021, 07:47 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 08:54 PM)sally Wrote: The condo was built in the 80s 

...and built to withstand hurricane force winds. 

I hate to use the word perfect given the loss of life, but for lack of a better word, that building came down perfectly. The end result is what people strive for when demolishing a highrise. 

Far be it from me to call you a conspinky theorist, Doochy. hah
Huh? WTF. Ahahahahahahaha!
I get hungry when I hear the word "pancake"
(06-25-2021, 08:54 PM)sally Wrote: The condo was built in the 80s so they have no clue why it went down other then because of maybe the shifting sands being that it was built on a barrier island. Crazy.

SNAKE land (I HATE SNAKES) has been known to have some Building “inspectors”  that will look the other way when properly compensated.

Looking at the photos that were shown of the building in question, some of the “Load Bearing Columns” supporting the structure looked like they were grossly undersized.
It’s amazing that those columns lasted as long as they did.

I would not want to be a tenant in that building!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

[Image: florida-condo-collapse.png]
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(06-24-2021, 11:03 AM)Duchess Wrote: Outside of a natural disaster what would make a building collapse in the United States? We normally only see shit like that in countries where codes aren't enforced and their regulations suck.

Need I remind you of the big dig in Boston?
hah Oy vay a political greed type of bungle that will continue with this infra structure mess. Red tape for supper.
[Image: Screen-Shot-2021-06-18-at-11.58.37-AM.pn...C400&ssl=1]
I saw a headline earlier stating that the buildings owners were notified of issues back in 2018. Man.
I will say one thing, it has been heartbreaking to see them pull bodies from the rubble. Just awful, and reports on our news here showing emergency workers just keep going in the hope of finding people alive. I guess now its just a recovery mission. They did have warnings that something wasn't right with the building.

I think it's a word of caution to us all, if you want to rent for a time due to work or whatever, but if you are investing you are best of buying land. I'm not saying move to Hicksville, but not a highrise. Too terrifying.
Urban sprawl. When all the land is taken people try and make more land, they build in places that would never be thought of 40 years ago. Trying to thwart Mother nature by piling up sand on a swamp doesn't work, sooner or later water and natural forces undermine these brilliant engineers.  hah    Look at New Orleans they are built on a swamp and when a Hurricane comes in the land wants to go back to the way it was, no dam or dike will stop it.
San Francisco reminds me of that. It was once a scrub desert town until people started moving in around the 1840's then a bit later they were trying to get more water and started taking from other areas to get it. I think nature is just trying to return it to that time again. There is only so much water out there and it may be that they've used it all. They blame it on climate change.   Sarcastic