Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TODAY IS NATIONAL DIVE BAR DAY
Did you ever have a favorite dive bar? I did back in the day and we all called it The Hilton. Of course it wasn't, not by anyone's standards, but it was fun.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Casalettis Polka Palace.
Mock is my dive bar of choice.
(07-07-2022, 12:52 PM)rothschild Wrote: Mock is my dive bar of choice.

Cheers Drinking too much
(07-07-2022, 02:19 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

Cheers Drinking too much

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Frlv.zcache.com%2Fi_dont_...f=1&nofb=1]
(07-07-2022, 05:28 PM)rothschild Wrote:

Cheers Drinking too much

Coffee is great for sobering up after drinking lots of beer.
(07-07-2022, 09:48 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

Cheers Drinking too much

Coffee helps with my depression. I've quit a few times and I go back to it after a few months. Now I drink 1 cup per day with 3 tablespoons coffee, and I feel pretty good. I take venlafaxine, as well, which keeps me from wanting to kill myself. Coffee actually helps to feel good. I have a roaster in my town, so i get the best coffee, fresh as can be. Has antioxidants, too!
I love coffee. Actually espresso. I drink a double shot in the morning and a double shot in the afternoon, just black. Depending on the weather and my mood I'll have it either hot or iced. It's a wake me up and really does make me feel better. I can't even explain it really, when I'm feeling down it just cheers me up, both mentally and physically.
Can' you just talk your mind out of it? I had to do it with a non stop, six month stint of severe post partum depression and anxiety. Not a minute of the day I felt normal, it was really bad to the point that I couldnt function. Dig deep and tell yourself it's ridiculous to feel this way, maybe have a beer or 12.
I meant to quote RC.
(07-08-2022, 12:02 AM)sally Wrote: Can' you just talk your mind out of it? I had to do it with a non stop, six month stint of severe post partum depression and anxiety. Not a minute of the day I felt normal, it was really bad to the point that I couldnt function. Dig deep and tell yourself it's ridiculous to feel this way, maybe have a beer or 12.

Beer is a bad choice for depression, being a depressant. CNS's can help with anxiety and insomnia but they're addictive, as you build up a tolerance and lose the ability to feel good without them. Many drugs have this effect, cocaine being one of the worst. It also depends on your symptomatology and whether or not other conditions are present. Family history can be a large factor with respect to predisposition. It's complex, and it doesn't help that medical science is oriented to profitability. The DSM is a prescribing tool for treating symptoms and many of the disorders listed are questionable, to say the least. More disorders = more prescribing. Good luck getting funding if your science is in any way antagonistic to profitability.
(07-08-2022, 12:03 AM)sally Wrote: I meant to quote RC.

I didn't have any problem discerning who you were talking to & I have the expectation that none of you do either when I fail to quote.  Dramaqueen
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(07-08-2022, 02:44 AM)rothschild Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 12:02 AM)sally Wrote: Can' you just talk your mind out of it? I had to do it with a non stop, six month stint of severe post partum depression and anxiety. Not a minute of the day I felt normal, it was really bad to the point that I couldnt function. Dig deep and tell yourself it's ridiculous to feel this way, maybe have a beer or 12.

Beer is a bad choice for depression, being a depressant. CNS's can help with anxiety and insomnia but they're addictive, as you build up a tolerance and lose the ability to feel good without them. Many drugs have this effect, cocaine being one of the worst. It also depends on your symptomatology and whether or not other conditions are present. Family history can be a large factor with respect to predisposition. It's complex, and it doesn't help that medical science is oriented to profitability. The DSM is a prescribing tool for treating symptoms and many of the disorders listed are questionable, to say the least. More disorders = more prescribing. Good luck getting funding if your science is in any way antagonistic to profitability.

Beer is an actual mood enhancer for me, but I understand that it may not be for everyone. Whenever I feel anxiety a beer makes me feel better. Marijuana is that way for some people too, but it's not for me. And cocaine is no good for anyone. It makes people feel a little too good including me which isn't good because coming down from it is very depressing if you don't have more.
(07-07-2022, 11:56 AM)Duchess Wrote: Did you ever have a favorite dive bar? I did back in the day and we all called it The Hilton. Of course it wasn't, not by anyone's standards, but it was fun.

This might sound wierd, back in the day when my mom kept score for baseball games on the base we would go with her and then we could go to the pub until 7 PM and they had the best nachos. I loved that place. But then when the guys started hitting on my sister my mom stopped letting us go.

(07-07-2022, 10:27 PM)rothschild Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 09:48 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

Cheers Drinking too much

Coffee helps with my depression. I've quit a few times and I go back to it after a few months. Now I drink 1 cup per day with 3 tablespoons coffee, and I feel pretty good. I take venlafaxine, as well, which keeps me from wanting to kill myself. Coffee actually helps to feel good. I have a roaster in my town, so i get the best coffee, fresh as can be. Has antioxidants, too!

I'm sorry you have to go through that. I don't wish that on anyone. I wish it could be as simple as Sally says and she is lucky if it worked for her and if it works for others.
I never want to tell someone they don't need medicine.

It scares the shit out of me when I hear stories of people killing themselves because of a medicine mishap-that should not happen. It is fucked up.

I want to add that I am certainly not advising anyone to go off their meds and I'm not arrogant enough to think they'd listen to me anyway. But I know how I cope with anxiety so it was just a question. I tell myself I'm stupid, it works for me.
I used to take fuckitol and justsuckitup for my anxiety but now I find weed, cigars, Cornhole, or just chillin' with friends helps me deal with my anxiety much better....no more angry meltdowns or acting like a whiny asshole.
Most things in life are petty, but there are some things that aren't like a death of a loved one. You never know what anyone is struggling with.
I can usually be fairly light hearted and always have hope, but after my friends daughter killed herself I went into a depression over the winter and I understaood it more.

Some parts of covid were depressing also-especially living alone and realizing how much I like contact w/ others in some aspect or another.

(07-08-2022, 08:59 PM)sally Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 02:44 AM)rothschild Wrote:

Beer is an actual mood enhancer for me, but I understand that it may not be for everyone. Whenever I feel anxiety a beer makes me feel better. Marijuana is that way for some people too, but it's not for me. And cocaine is no good for anyone. It makes people feel a little too good including me which isn't good because coming down from it is very depressing if you don't have more.

Right, it can help with anxiety, but like many things are, it's addictive if you're immoderate. We've talked about this before and I appreciated your candor. Everything entails risk. Different strokes for different folks.