Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curry.
Britain is full of curry restaurants and is almost a national dish.  But not so in America, why is that?     I hadnt had a decent curry till my mid twenties a Korma in Birmingham, it blew my mind it was so good, cooked by an Indian.

Curry to me is as satisfying as a sunday roast with all the trimmings, lamb, roast potatoes, parsnips, cabbage, yorkshire pudding, etc.      Its so good i cook it myself.    And yesterday i found out id been doing it wrong, for twenty years.  I only use olive oil, but this time usede sunflower oil.

Sunflower oil fries at a higher temperature releasing the oils in the spices quicker, and absorbing the flavour easier, instead of the heavier olive oil.     I can now do a cracking curry whenever.

Why hasnt it caught on over there?  Has anyone had a proper Indian curry.?   I suspect its like fish and chips, you cant get a decent fish supper over there.
I've never had curry. I've heard that it makes people stink, is that true?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
There is a really good Indian restaurant here, but unfortunately every time we go it looks dirtier. Last time there was a cockaroach on the wall. I don't care how good their curry and Naan bread is, I just can't do it.
And it is true that it's hard to find good fish and chips here, but I have found a few places that make it good. Gordon Ramsay's restaurant wasn't one of them, what a fucking disgrace. Occasionally I make it at home myself with mushy peas.
And what's with you people and the fucking beans? Beans with breakfast, beans on toast, beans with everything... Don't get me wrong, I like beans, but y'all take it to a whole new level.
Now I am craving curry. I had it for the first time when some people from India were working w/ us and took us to a restaurant. Then I had it somewhere else and now I make it myself. I will try sunflower oil. Thanks!

I tried a good curry coconut soup recipe. I will look for it.

(11-06-2022, 09:57 AM)Duchess Wrote: I've never had curry. I've heard that it makes people stink, is that true?

I've had oxtail and goat curry. I don't think it makes you stink, but it does give you a bit of the rumble bum. Maybe it was also because it was from a food truck. My one complaint was I wish they hadn't left in some of the meat on the bone. I think I would have enjoyed boneless curry more.
We have curry everywhere. Must have 20 Thai and Indian restaurants in a smallish city of about 125,000 people. Is piglet on meth?
(11-06-2022, 09:57 AM)Duchess Wrote: I've never had curry. I've heard that it makes people stink, is that true?

Check out these recipes on Purple Carrot. Meat can be added to any of them of course. Spice level can vary also. I couldn't find the curry coconut soup recipe I was looking for.

https://www.purplecarrot.com/recipe-search?query=curry

(11-06-2022, 04:41 PM)rothschild Wrote:  Is piglet on meth?

No. Meth inks he might be try-curryous though.
(11-06-2022, 04:42 PM)MirahM Wrote:

Check out these recipes on Purple Carrot. Meat can be added to any of them of course. Spice level can vary also. I couldn't find the curry coconut soup recipe I was looking for.

Tom Kha is Thai coconut soup.
(11-06-2022, 04:44 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 04:41 PM)rothschild Wrote:  Is piglet on meth?

No. Meth inks he might be try-curryous though.

He's been huffing curry farts.
We had a Indian family (dot, not woo woo) move in about a block away 200' away I could smell the curry stick coming from their home, and they also have German Shepard outdoor only dog that barked when the squirrels farted. How would you like them buying a 1.5 million dollar house right next to you?
(11-06-2022, 04:47 PM)rothschild Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 04:42 PM)MirahM Wrote:

Tom Kha is Thai coconut soup.

Hmm I've heard of that, but I am thinking of another recipe that I am still trying to find.

Also I was thinking about golden milke which I had some tonight. so tasty and warm on a cold day.

We have a Thai restaurant here that uses curry in many of their entrees. 

My wife gets a lobster patiae entree that has curry in it, I tasted it and I DIDN’T LIKE IT! 

Curry is not for me. 
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(11-06-2022, 10:19 PM)Carsman Wrote: We have a Thai restaurant here that uses curry in many of their entrees. 

My wife gets a lobster patiae entree that has curry in it, I tasted it and I DIDN’T LIKE IT! 

Curry is not for me. 

My brother Ed told me about a Chinese restaurant that serves curry eggrolls. I'm dying to try them.
I like Indian curry better than Thai curry, Thai uses coconut milk which I'm not a big fan of even though I do like coconut. Curry is really strong though and it is true that it seeps out of those bastard's pores. Go to any middle eastern or Asian household, that bitch will stink to high hell.
(11-06-2022, 11:13 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 10:19 PM)Carsman Wrote: We have a Thai restaurant here that uses curry in many of their entrees. 

Curry is not for me. 

My brother Ed told me about a Chinese restaurant that serves curry eggrolls. I'm dying to try them.
You probably remember the time I accidentally locked myself in the bathroom with a dozen curry crab Rangoons and was stuck in there for two days before someone got me out. Well don't make that mistake.
(11-06-2022, 11:29 PM)sally Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 11:13 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:

Curry is not for me. 

You probably remember the time I accidentally locked myself in the bathroom with a dozen curry crab Rangoons and was stuck in there for two days before someone got me out. Well don't make that mistake.

I won't. That's why I'm waiting until my Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation to try a Scotch Bonnet Curry sauce I bought a few months ago.
Curry doesnt make you stink.  When you fry the spices the aroma can linger in clothes, or if you get spices on your hands and clothes.   It doesnt do your breathe any favours.

Cooking a curry will fill your house with a curry aroma, and your neighbours will know whats cooking.    The aroma is divine.   Im impressed that a lot of people have had a curry.   If you havent got an authentic curry restaurant near you Duchess,  making your own is a skilled business.  

Buying it out of a jar is laughable.  The best curry chefs can take five years to do it properly.   There are many dos and donts in making curry, all of them making a big difference.  Its how to cook the onions, frying the spices, the use of water at the right time, the balance between heat and no heat, how to do the base gravy.

You need to try and get an authentic curry Duchess, if you like it try doing your own.   There are many videos on you tube.  Kings Lynn, up the road from me has a wonderful restaurant.  Doing your own competently is a tough ask, maybe i can come over and coach you through it.

I know.....life is for living.