Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoarder mentality
Sigh,  have you ever had the feeling,  that once you get rid of something,  you're going to need it in a week?  

I need to cull my basement,  but I can't seem to get rid of anything.   I was raised by grandparents who lived through the depression.   They saved EVERYTHING,  in case they might need it someday.   They also ingrained that attitude in me.  I fucking hate throwing anything away,  or getting rid of it by giving it away.   I always feel like I will need it in the future.

I don't want to leave this mess for my kids,  so I need to get with the program and rationalize getting rid of shit.   

Mock me with your best shot,  you're cheaper than therapy.  hah
i got rid of 95 percent of my shit, ended up needing my shock pump.
I've had to downsize and it pained me greatly. The first time I go through my stuff it isn't too bad, I already try to do that at least once a year, but when I have to get rid of even more and I'm now into the things that are meaningful to me, it's hard, very hard. I'm materialistic and I LOVE my stuff.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Can't Mock you. I'm a bit of hoarder too. I too had parents that lived through the great depression and saved everything. It was so hard to abandon my parent's house and leave so much of their and my stuff behind. And again when I moved from my Watervliet apartment. My brother Ed is an even worse hoarder. My hoarder stuff I save and never use is at least contained in containers and semi organized. My brother Ed's is so disorganized and plus I'm hoarding some of his stuff in my apartment for the last 3 years while he deals with a slumlord and most recently being evicted in a few weeks. I swear I'm going to watch those VHS movies on my DVD/VCR combo someday. I need all those old phones, laptops, and wires,etc too.
This sux,  I've always been known as 'aunti crafty' in my family,  because of this,  anyone who I know,  dumps off their dead relatives craft room on me.   I never say no.  My basement is currently 34 full of craft shit that I will never,  ever fucking use.    

I have donated to every child's organization that I can find,  to the point where they tell me no more.   I absolutely hate the idea of throwing the shit in a landfill.   I need to find new organizations to donate this stuff to...
I'm the opposite and throw everything out, I try to keep my house as minimalist as possible. Whenever someone can't find something they get mad and say mom probably fucking threw it out. If you really can't get yourself to throw it out and it's too much of a hassle finding someone that wants it then you can put everything in plastic storage bins, label the contents and stack them up somewhere out of the way. That way it's not a big mess and you can keep your peace of mind that it's not at the dump where it probably should be. After that control yourself from buying or taking anyone's junk.
Grew up w/ the same.
Everyone gives sewing stuff to my mom I wish she would say no.
What helps me is whenever I move. Makes it easier to get rid of stuff.

(11-28-2022, 12:38 PM)sally Wrote: I'm the opposite and throw everything out, I try to keep my house as minimalist as possible. Whenever someone can't find something they get mad and say mom probably fucking threw it out. If you really can't get yourself to throw it out and it's too much of a hassle finding someone that wants it then you can put everything in plastic storage bins, label the contents and stack them up somewhere out of the way. That way it's not a big mess and you can keep your peace of mind that it's not at the dump where it probably should be. After that control yourself from buying or taking anyone's junk.

Everything is in storage totes already.   Whenever someone dumped their craft shit on me, I'd immediately go through it and sort it into bins with like items. 

I am making headway though,   yesterday I took 2 van loads of stuff to the county nursing home.   Another van load went to the library for their children's activities room.
Do y'all remember the hoarder who kept poop encrusted bowls and nearly had a breakdown when she was being forced to get rid of all that crap? I have never forgotten her.
That was the worst episode I have seen. She was going to the bathroom in a water filled bucket, waiting for it to dissolve and then putting it into water bottles. The whole back room was filled to the ceiling with piss and shit water bottles.
I wonder what happens in someone's life to make them go down that freaky road. Does Hoarders ever address that?
(11-29-2022, 11:53 AM)Duchess Wrote: I wonder what happens in someone's life to make them go down that freaky road. Does Hoarders ever address that?

Hmm...  when you were a kid, did your parents keep you closed up with their beliefs,  or did they introduce you to every situation that they could find?  

I was closed.   I rebelled and introduced my boys to every social situation imaginable. 

in my opinion,  to go down that path,  you have to grow up with it.
(11-29-2022, 12:15 PM)cannongal Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 11:53 AM)Duchess Wrote: I wonder what happens in someone's life to make them go down that freaky road. Does Hoarders ever address that?

Hmm...  when you were a kid, did your parents keep you closed up with their beliefs,  or did they introduce you to every situation that they could find?  

I was closed.   I rebelled and introduced my boys to every social situation imaginable. 

in my opinion,  to go down that path,  you have to grow up with it.

Closed up with their beliefs. I caught hell for attending a Baptist Church service in college. I thought about converting because there was dancing and more joyous singing.
Did you get a degree?
Clangy and I went to college in the same area. Different years tho.   Old
Did you burn your bra?
No, I did not. My generation of women grew up with more rights than those who burned their bras.

I remember being gobsmacked to learn there was a time women couldn't get a credit card in their own name! That still floors me.
(11-28-2022, 10:39 AM)cannongal Wrote: This sux,  I've always been known as 'aunti crafty' in my family,  because of this,  anyone who I know,  dumps off their dead relatives craft room on me.   I never say no.  My basement is currently 34 full of craft shit that I will never,  ever fucking use.    

I have donated to every child's organization that I can find,  to the point where they tell me no more.   I absolutely hate the idea of throwing the shit in a landfill.  hah  I need to find new organizations to donate this stuff to... hah

Send to a Mock, there are a few old geezers in here who likely could use it.  Bass Ass Grin
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(11-29-2022, 06:47 PM)BigMark Wrote: Did you get a degree?

BA in History. I was going to be a teacher like my mom before my fear of public speaking, and social anxiety/awkwardness got the better of me.
(11-29-2022, 06:52 PM)Duchess Wrote: Clangy and I went to college in the same area. Different years tho.   Old

SUNY Potsdam, Class of '96.  Woo