Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REUBEN SANDWICH
Do you like them? 
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yes. It's my daughter's favorite sandwich. She asks me to make her one everyday, I don't know how she's not sick of them yet.
(03-08-2023, 10:57 AM)Duchess Wrote: Do you like them? 

Yes. If I can't decide what I want to eat at at restaurant, I just get the Reuben. It's one of my favorite sandwiches.
(03-08-2023, 10:57 AM)Duchess Wrote: Do you like them? 

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!

But it must have Russian dressing . . . to make it "top shelf".

Marbled rye is my preferred bread.
What other kinds of bread are used? 
I have these questions because I saw a corn beef at the market, it was more than $34 for what I thought was a very small piece of meat. I was telling someone about it and she made yum noises  hah and said REUBENS!
(03-08-2023, 01:14 PM)Duchess Wrote: What other kinds of bread are used? 

Rye is traditional.

I've been known to have one on pumpernickel, too.

Marbled rye is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Rye or marbled rye or pumpernickel is what is traditionally used, but you can do any bread you want. It's your reuben and you can have it how you like it even though people will think you're an asshole.
(03-08-2023, 01:17 PM)Duchess Wrote: I have these questions because I saw a corn beef at the market, it was more than $34 for what I thought was a very small piece of meat. I was telling someone about it and she made yum noises  hah and said REUBENS!

Once you cook it, it will shrivel up even more. If you plan on cooking a corned beef and don't know what you're doing, let me know. Corned beef needs to be thinly sliced across the grain for Reubens. You can't just cut chunks off and throw it on some bread.
Probably a good time to recommend a preferred cut, for her, Sally.

Or she can screw it up and make hash.

Wait a week . . . St. Patrick's Day usually brings the price down on corned beef.

(Would love to see her wrestling with the fat cap . . . pre and post cooking.  hah )

I prefer the Reuben on white or Italian bread. But will eat it on rye if necessary.
(03-08-2023, 01:38 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: (Would love to see her wrestling with the fat cap . . . pre and post cooking.  hah )

I don't even know what that is. It's making me laugh, like WTF is a fat cap.
It's the artery clogging goodness that makes pastrami delicious!

[Image: 1Fat-cap-New-York-tip.jpg]
Oh dear.
(03-08-2023, 01:56 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: It's the artery clogging goodness that makes pastrami delicious!

[Image: 1Fat-cap-New-York-tip.jpg]
I'd literally kill for fat cap and pork cracklings.
Ruebens are the bomb. Especially if they make that Russian dressing just right and the pastrami has a fair whack of smoke about it
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
There is a German deli here that has a sandwich called the Bleu Max. It's a triple decker with pastrami, swiss cheese, saurkraut and blue cheese dressing served hot on marbled rye. I want one right now.
(03-08-2023, 04:05 PM)sally Wrote: There is a German deli here that has a sandwich called the Bleu Max. It's a triple decker with pastrami, swiss cheese, saurkraut and blue cheese dressing served hot on marbled rye. I want one right now.

Wow!  Never thought of that combo.  And with my Mum's love of Bleu Cheese, gonna have to give it try and have her give it a spin!

Curious . . . do you ever make your own kraut?

I started making it a couple of years ago.  It's so damned simple!

I let it ferment up to six weeks.  Between 4 and 6 weeks is the sweet spot for me.
(03-08-2023, 04:18 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 04:05 PM)sally Wrote: There is a German deli here that has a sandwich called the Bleu Max. It's a triple decker with pastrami, swiss cheese, saurkraut and blue cheese dressing served hot on marbled rye. I want one right now.

Wow!  Never thought of that combo.  And with my Mum's love of Bleu Cheese, gonna have to give it try and have her give it a spin!

Curious . . . do you ever make your own kraut?

I started making it a couple of years ago.  It's so damned simple!

I let it ferment up to six weeks.  Between 4 and 6 weeks is the sweet spot for me.

No, I've never tried making it, but it's supposed to be really healthy for you. I did have an old Hungarian woman show me how to make a salad called Chalamade once, I think that is how it's spelled. It's basically the same method as saurkraut, but thinly sliced cucumbers, red onion, green tomatoes and peppers are added with the cabbage. That shit was delicious.
That was years ago and she wrote the recipe down for me as best as she could, but it's kind of a guessing game as she barely spoke English.