Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone have a two story house with cats?
The new house has a balcony around the 2nd story and is open in the middle. It's pretty high and I'd probably break something if I jumped off of it. Are cats stupid enough that they would jump off the railing from that high? If so are they less likely to get injured? I've never had cats or a second story house until now. I don't want them to take a swan dive to the living room and break every bone in their body. I've seen cat on roofs before so I guess they'd be fine, but I don't know.
(04-21-2023, 09:57 AM)sally Wrote: The new house has a balcony around the 2nd story and is open in the middle. It's pretty high and I'd probably break something if I jumped off of it. Are cats stupid enough that they would jump off the railing from that high? If so are they less likely to get injured? I've never had cats or a second story house until now. I don't want them to take a swan dive to the living room and break every bone in their body. I've seen cat on roofs before so I guess they'd be fine, but I don't know.

Only on the tenth jump.

I owned a two-story in Colorado with an open balcony.  Two wolf hybrids with an "adopted" huge male tabby.  Never  a problem . . . and that big ol' tabby was a fearless and death defying, high-wire nut job.

That sonofabitch aged me, with his antics.
These are tabby cats too. My son dumped them off on me, better than a couple of kids I guess. I was looking at how high that balcony was yesterday though and thinking to myself that I'll be sitting there watching TV and the goddamn cat is gonna come flying through the air and crash into the coffee table.
(04-21-2023, 09:57 AM)sally Wrote:  I guess they'd be fine, but I don't know.

They will be fine, they aren't stupid. They have a very ingrained sense of self preservation, as does every animal I've encountered. They don't have a death wish.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Your cats will be fine. Why am I repeating what Duchess said? I DON'T KNOW! Cats know how to use the stairs. For example the cat we had that enjoyed running up the stairs at 6 AM after eating breakfast. The stairs were her favorite place to play.

They will be fine!

[Image: 22CY.gif]
I grew up with cats, love them to bits.
One of my cats used to like to climb on top of the pergola and walk the boards, they are only 2-3 inches wide. Cats are very graceful, I don't think I've ever seen one make a misstep.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]