The Car Place
Do we have a vehicle maintenance thread somewhere?

My family is really disfunctionaly when it comes to cars.

My sister said she is going to come visit me this weekend, but then she starts talking about potential car problems and something she had prior where it woudlnt' start. She'll just prepare for in case her vehicle dies.
WTF
NO
Just go get your car fixed. 
FFS
Don't put yourself in that sort of situation. My family drives me crazy.

Thats why Mock can't die. Where will I bitch about my family?

When I worked in the shop I never knew people fucking brought thier cars in for vehicle maintenance. Like before thier vehicles break down. It never dawned on me that is what people did.

We fixed oil leaks by putting more oil in the car and adding cat liter to the floor or putting a cardboard mat under the car to check for leaks.

My family is very disfunctional when it comes to cars. I have to teach them all the time.

Also one thing working at the shop taught me was how not to become attached to my vehicle. Its just a vehicle. Gets me from point A to B. Its transportation.

I mean, yeah, there are special vehicles, but its ridiculous to get sentimental about a pile of shit that doens't run.

Sorry.

I had to be able to prove to my parents that I knew how to change a flat & change my oil. Changing a flat has remained the same, but changing my oil has become complicated because now my car needs to be put on a lift in order to do that and that always gets done in the shop.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
My dad taught me how to change a tire,  spark plugs, filters, and check fluids.   Nowadays,  I know where the gas goes and have hubs and triple A for the rest.  

Back in 1990, I could give a chevy chevette a tune up,  no problem.   These days,  I have no idea where the spark plugs are on my Entourage  hah
Cars today are so much different than when we were teenagers, but I think kids should know how to do basic maintenance even if they don't have to utilize that skill.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-09-2023, 12:52 AM)MirahM Wrote: Do we have a vehicle maintenance thread somewhere?

My family is really disfunctionaly when it comes to cars.

My sister said she is going to come visit me this weekend, but then she starts talking about potential car problems and something she had prior where it woudlnt' start. She'll just prepare for in case her vehicle dies.
WTF
NO
Just go get your car fixed. 
FFS
Don't put yourself in that sort of situation. My family drives me crazy.

Thats why Mock can't die. Where will I bitch about my family?

I'm the same way about my car. Right now my car is making a whistling noise when I step on the brake and the check engine light is on because they can't seem to fix my emissions leak. My car was also making a pfft sound but I fixed that my self. Tire guard was loose and rubbing up against the tire. Don't really have money right now to fix my car so I'll probably just wait to get it fixed when it stops running. I view my car as just transportation. That's why I let people smoke cigars, weed in my car and let trash build up. I should get myself a spare tire though for the inevitable flat this winter.
(11-09-2023, 08:21 AM)Duchess Wrote: Cars today are so much different than when we were teenagers, but I think kids should know how to do basic maintenance even if they don't have to utilize that skill.

I agree.

Just sold the best car i've ever owned. It has been completely reliable for 165000 miles driving across the country twice. 2011 Toyota Sequoia

[Image: Kwr9bso.png]
Dang I could have bought your vehicle.

[Image: 2011-toyota-sequoia-5.7-auto-4wd-sr5-suv...-front.png]New brakes, new rotors, new shocks, new battery. carmax wanted to give me $5500 sold for $9000 to a nice young couple.
I need a down lake vehicle

How about an e-scooter with snow tires?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi5.walmartimages.com%2F...ipo=images]
No thank you. That is cute tho. Might work for this place then I'd send my car down instead.

WHY NOT GET A COMBO CAR?!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

A sport scooter that goes 60mph. You'd be the talk of the town, Mirah, zipping along in a yellow power ranger suit.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Felectrek.co%2Fwp-conten...ipo=images]
So which one of us in this forum could stay balanced on this thing? I'm voting for Cannongal! Smiley_emoticons_biggrin