Multi-vitamins and nausea
I've been getting nauseated over a lot of stuff lately and thought it was just me being a hypochondriac again but I was just reading the reviews for One-A-Day on drugstore.com and quite a few people apparently have problems with nausea and vomiting after taking a multi-vitamin.

I was taking my vitamins with a big glass of water as soon as I'd get up in the morning and then have a cup of coffee. No problems till recently and then it felt like an alien was about to pop out of my chest.

Anyone else have issues with this? Solutions/recommendations?
Your body wants real vegetables and fruits, not pills.
86 112
try them with food instead of an empty stomach. you're not preggers are you? 12

(12-04-2009, 04:26 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Your body wants real vegetables and fruits, not pills.

I eat a salad everyday, usually a spinach one and I put a lot of raisins in my oatmeal yet I'm still low in iron. Any other brainiac suggestions Dr Frankenstein?
(12-04-2009, 04:33 PM)jackboots Wrote: try them with food instead of an empty stomach. you're not preggers are you? 12

Tried taking them with milk, toast, milk and bread...blerk!

Coffee's been doing the same thing off and on, and NO I'm not pregnant!
http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/iron.html

Eat more green veggies among other things. That list is pretty useful. Hope it helps.
Ooooh, steamed clams are high in iron!

I was drinking miso soup but got bored with it... between the tofu and the seaweed, I should've been all set... but I kept getting turned down at the blood bank because of my iron level even taking iron supplements.

Maybe I'll give the miso another try, that would be a nice snack at work anyway.
(12-04-2009, 04:39 PM)LuMPyPussy Wrote:
(12-04-2009, 04:26 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Your body wants real vegetables and fruits, not pills.

I eat a salad everyday, usually a spinach one and I put a lot of raisins in my oatmeal yet I'm still low in iron. Any other brainiac suggestions Dr Frankenstein?

Do you like oysters? They are rich in iron. If not then forget I ever mentioned it.

Oysters and Their Nutritional Value
Oysters are not only delicious, but they're also one of the most nutritionally well balanced of foods, containing protein, carbohydrates and lipids. The National Heart and Lung Institute suggest oysters as an ideal food for inclusion in low-cholesterol diets. Oysters are an excellent source of vitamins A, B1(thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), C (ascorbic acid) and D (calciferol). Four or five medium size oysters supply the recommended daily allowance of iron, copper, iodine, magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese and phosphorus.
I've never had oysters, is there any other way to eat them besides raw? And remember, I live in Momoland, we don't have a lot of deli kind of foods in my area.
you really need them fresh for this, but if you ever get the chance at a restaurant...this is scrumptious!
OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER

1 garlic clove
2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed
12 cup chopped green onions
34 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1 pound (about) rock salt
24 fresh oysters, shucked, shells reserved
14 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

PreparationPosition rack in top third of oven and preheat to 450°F. Finely chop garlic in processor. Add spinach, watercress and green onions to garlic. Process, using on/off turns, until mixture is finely chopped. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.

Combine butter, breadcrumbs, Pernod, fennel and hot sauce in processor. Process until well blended. Return spinach mixture to processor. Process, using on/off turns, just until mixtures are blended. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)

Sprinkle rock salt over large baking sheet to depth of 12 inch. Arrange oysters in half shells atop rock salt. Top each oyster with 1 tablespoon spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until spinach mixture browns on top, about 8 minutes.

.jpg   102178.jpg (Size: 29.97 KB / Downloads: 49)

No, I'm fresh out for now. Your demoralizing and condescending way of talking to me not only hurts my feelings, it makes my dick shrink to a fig-like object.
86 112
Fig-like? You flatter yourself.
(12-04-2009, 05:21 PM)jackboots Wrote: you really need them fresh for this, but if you ever get the chance at a restaurant...this is scrumptious!
OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER

1 garlic clove
2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed
12 cup chopped green onions
34 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1 pound (about) rock salt
24 fresh oysters, shucked, shells reserved
14 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

PreparationPosition rack in top third of oven and preheat to 450°F. Finely chop garlic in processor. Add spinach, watercress and green onions to garlic. Process, using on/off turns, until mixture is finely chopped. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.

Combine butter, breadcrumbs, Pernod, fennel and hot sauce in processor. Process until well blended. Return spinach mixture to processor. Process, using on/off turns, just until mixtures are blended. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)

Sprinkle rock salt over large baking sheet to depth of 12 inch. Arrange oysters in half shells atop rock salt. Top each oyster with 1 tablespoon spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until spinach mixture browns on top, about 8 minutes.

That looks and sounds fantastic. I love shellfish anyway, and I'm sure I'd love that.

Argh, now I'm hungry! Maybe I'll go have some sardines.
Oysters on the Half Shell with Emeril's Hot Sauce Sorbet
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup Emerils' hot sauce
  • 3 Tbsp chopped green bell pepper
  • 3 Tbsp chopped celery
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 6 oysters PER PERSON, as needed

place all the ingredients in a blender and mix on high speed for 1 minute.
place the tomato mixture an airtight container and chill for at least 2 hours, then pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.

Serve on top of raw oysters on the half shell.
*note: this is good on clams too.

yeild: 2 cups of sorbet
prep time: 2 12 hours
(12-04-2009, 05:12 PM)LuMPyPussy Wrote: I've never had oysters, is there any other way to eat them besides raw? And remember, I live in Momoland, we don't have a lot of deli kind of foods in my area.

They sell smoked oysters in a can at the grocery store. They're nothing like a fresh oyster, but they're not too bad on a cracker with hotsauce and they still have all the nutritional value.
Mmmm ... you guys are making me think back to the days before we had kids ... where we went on vacations constantly. We would be on the beach having raw clams all the time. We would wake up, go to the beach, and then go eat raw clams with me stoned off my ass.
86 112
(12-04-2009, 04:05 PM)LuMPyPussy Wrote: I've been getting nauseated over a lot of stuff lately and thought it was just me being a hypochondriac again but I was just reading the reviews for One-A-Day on drugstore.com and quite a few people apparently have problems with nausea and vomiting after taking a multi-vitamin.

I was taking my vitamins with a big glass of water as soon as I'd get up in the morning and then have a cup of coffee. No problems till recently and then it felt like an alien was about to pop out of my chest.

Anyone else have issues with this? Solutions/recommendations?

You could very well have too much iron in your system.

It's simple to get your iron level checked. Too much iron can make you nauseous after taking a vitamin with iron. The solution? Take vitamins without iron.

Ok, well that rules out my suggestion.

I would still guess that it's something in the vitamins you're taking which is making you ill. Some vitamin you don't need or something.

Have you tried taking pills with JUST iron in them?

As for oysters, I like them pretty much any way, but lightly breaded and fried is damned good too.
Dr. Oz says to break your one a day in half and take it twice a day, because by afternoon you lose all the good vitaminy goodness or something.
Try taking half a dose at a time maybe. I don't like this because there are big old rough edges left after you break it. They should make a two a day.

I take a big handfull of vitamins and herbs and shit like twice a day, usually with my meal but not always. I don't have any problems.

I almost puked myself to death eating the smoked canned oysters. I must have had some bad ones, I could never make myself try another.
(12-04-2009, 07:46 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Mmmm ... you guys are making me think back to the days before we had kids ... where we went on vacations constantly. We would be on the beach having raw clams all the time. We would wake up, go to the beach, and then go eat raw clams with me stoned off my ass.

I love raw oysters, but I've never had raw clams. I like them steamed, but I've never thought about ordering them raw. I'll have to try it one day, I'd imagine they're a son of a bitch to shuck.