Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scratchy
My new cat "Monty" - Smiley_emoticons_biggrin, has started being a bit "scratchy" with the carpet, chairs etc, he's got a big scratching post which he uses sometimes but he is starting to damage stuff.

Is there anything we can do to curb this?, because I am firmly against declawing.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Stop him by picking him up and putting him by his scratching post.
Start getting him used to trimming his nails now.
Get a variety of scratching posts/materials for him to scratch. Cats don't like just one 'flavor' of scratching material.

Get a squirt bottle. Set it to stream and give him a shot in the ass or BEHIND an ear when he does anything undesirable. DO NOT get water in his ear or eyes. DO NOT say a word when squirting the cat. Let him think God did it. You don't want him associating the water with your voice.

When he starts invading your counter tops and table while food is out, just pick him up, put him on the floor. Again, NO WORDS. Repeat as often as necessary until he learns he can't climb your leg, jump on the counters or your dinner table. This should not take long unless the cat is particularly stubborn.

Catnip is NOT the end all to training aids for cats. Most kittens are not susceptible to it and many adult cats it has no affect on them as well. The above methods are tried and true.

Are you sure it's a boy? Monty for a tortie? Is this your idea of a unisex name?
(01-07-2010, 01:12 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: Are you sure it's a boy? Monty for a tortie? Is this your idea of a unisex name?

Apparently the cat is as much a metrosexual as he is.
(01-07-2010, 12:53 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: My new cat "Monty" - Smiley_emoticons_biggrin, has started being a bit "scratchy" with the carpet, chairs etc, he's got a big scratching post which he uses sometimes but he is starting to damage stuff.

Is there anything we can do to curb this?, because I am firmly against declawing.

Christ ... aren't you at least somewhat ashamed to be posting this?
86 112
(01-07-2010, 01:12 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: Stop him by picking him up and putting him by his scratching post.
Start getting him used to trimming his nails now.
Get a variety of scratching posts/materials for him to scratch. Cats don't like just one 'flavor' of scratching material.

Get a squirt bottle. Set it to stream and give him a shot in the ass or BEHIND an ear when he does anything undesirable. DO NOT get water in his ear or eyes. DO NOT say a word when squirting the cat. Let him think God did it. You don't want him associating the water with your voice.

When he starts invading your counter tops and table while food is out, just pick him up, put him on the floor. Again, NO WORDS. Repeat as often as necessary until he learns he can't climb your leg, jump on the counters or your dinner table. This should not take long unless the cat is particularly stubborn.

Catnip is NOT the end all to training aids for cats. Most kittens are not susceptible to it and many adult cats it has no affect on them as well. The above methods are tried and true.

Are you sure it's a boy? Monty for a tortie? Is this your idea of a unisex name?

Thanks for that, I will give some of your suggestions a try and see what happens.

He already knows he's not allowed on worktops or tables, I used the method you suggested of just taking him down when he jumps, I think he's got the message he's just wasting his time.

I have been told he is not a tortoise shell by a neighbour, she said he was a......I can't remember the term, I'll have to ask her again next time I see her.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(01-07-2010, 01:18 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Christ ... aren't you at least somewhat ashamed to be posting this?

Nope, why the fuck should I be Guido?
(01-07-2010, 01:28 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 01:18 PM)Middle Finger Wrote: Christ ... aren't you at least somewhat ashamed to be posting this?

Nope, why the fuck should I be Guido?

Oh you know exactly why, pseudo-man.
86 112
Unless you know anything about the scratching habits of cats I suggest you shut the fuck up.
Take it easy and don't worry. I will now leave this woman thread.
86 112
OP please post a photo of the cat, even if it's a bad cell phone pic. I'll tell you what it is.
(01-07-2010, 12:53 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: My new cat "Monty" - Smiley_emoticons_biggrin, has started being a bit "scratchy" with the carpet, chairs etc, he's got a big scratching post which he uses sometimes but he is starting to damage stuff.

These saved one of our fuckers from being throttled after discovering a new over-stuffed chair in the livingroom with an entire front arm panel looking like spanish moss.

we have the vet put them on to spare our hands and arms from looking like minced-meat.

softpaws
Fug duh kund
I'm not a cat person, not for an indoor pet anyway. I like the big orange tom cats that stay outside and eat the rats.
(01-07-2010, 04:52 PM)sally Wrote: I'm not a cat person, not for an indoor pet anyway. I like the big orange tom cats that stay outside and eat the rats.

+1

And have 7 to 11 toes on each paw from all the inbreeding!
Luke, I've used those on my dog when she was learning not to jump on people. They're good for the cats but it's better to teach them. I've never had a cat destroy any of my furniture. Cats are trainable.

OP, isn't declawing and debarking banned in the UK anyway?
(01-07-2010, 04:44 PM)Luke Warmwater Wrote:

These saved one of our fuckers from being throttled after discovering a new over-stuffed chair in the livingroom with an entire front arm panel looking like spanish moss.

we have the vet put them on to spare our hands and arms from looking like minced-meat.

softpaws

That's very cute, you gay bastard. Which color did you pick, the candy corn?
(01-07-2010, 01:12 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: Get a gun. Shoot him in the ass or BEHIND an ear when he does anything undesirable....

I like Ant's idea with a slight modification.
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-07-2010, 04:52 PM)sally Wrote: I'm not a cat person, not for an indoor pet anyway. I like the big orange tom cats that stay outside and eat the rats.

17...........that is why I like cats they are usefull.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
"That's very cute, you gay bastard. Which color did you pick, the candy corn?"

yup, to match your candy ass...86
Fug duh kund
(01-07-2010, 05:06 PM)The Antagonist Wrote: Luke, I've used those on my dog when she was learning not to jump on people. They're good for the cats but it's better to teach them. I've never had a cat destroy any of my furniture. Cats are trainable.

OP, isn't declawing and debarking banned in the UK anyway?

You're right it is banned, except for medical reasons.

I will post a picture of my cat so you can indentify it.

I talked to the woman who sold him to my wife and she said when 2 early stage embryos merge into to one kitten embryo you get a male tortoise shell.
I'll have to look that up - I don't think that's the case though. I am pretty sure it's just a crapshoot if it turns out male.

Did his nuts drop yet? You know it's a male for sure?