Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Congresswoman, others, shot in AZ
just breaking. they have the shooter. i'll try to get more info. stories are fluid and conflicting at the moment.

from NPR:

January 8, 2011

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office confirms. The 40-year-old Democrat was outside a Tucson grocery store when a gunman ran up and began firing indiscriminately. The suspect was taken into police custody.

The 40-year-old Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

At least nine other people, including members of her staff, were hurt. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson. Her condition was not immediately known.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said.
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., poses with House Speaker John Boehner Wednesday on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) poses with House Speaker John Boehner on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., poses with House Speaker John Boehner Wednesday on Capitol Hill in Washington.
Susan Walsh/AP

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) poses with House Speaker John Boehner on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(CNN) -- At least 12 people were shot at a Tucson grocery store on Saturday, and U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was among them, a Democratic party source told CNN.

Giffords, 40, was holding a constituent meeting at the grocery store when the shooting occurred, according to a schedule posted on her website.

CNN could not confirm conditions for Giffords or any of the others wounded, but the Tuscon Citizen newspaper was reporting that Giffords was shot in the head.

The Democratic source described the situation as "pretty serious,"

The shooting occurred at a Safeway shortly after 10 a.m. MST, according to sheriff's spokesman Deputy Jason Ogan.

Pictures from the scene showed a Giffords banner hanging from the storefront.

At least two victims with gunshot wounds were transported at Northwest Medical Center, according to spokesman Richard Parker.

"They've been coming in the last 10 minutes. I'm not sure of the severity of their injuries," he said.

Ogan said he did not have conditions on any of the wounded and said the motive for the shooting is unclear.

"We're just trying to sort this out right now," he said.

An employee of a nearby business, Jason Pekau, told CNN that he heard "15 to 20 gunshots."

Giffords, a Democrat, was first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.

.jpg   giffords13_custom.jpg (Size: 15.72 KB / Downloads: 84)

The Arizona Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot along with three of her aides by a gunman while holding a public event Saturday, is married to astronaut, Mark Kelly.

Kelly is the commander of the 134th Nasa scheduled shuttle flight, which is the last planned shuttle mission using the space shuttle Endeavour.

He will meet his twin brother, Scott Kelly, in space at the International Space Station (ISS), which he is commanding.

The target launch date for Kelly’s mission is April 1, 2011. Endeavour’s mission is to deliver spare parts including two S-band communications antennas, a high-pressure gas tank, additional spare parts for Dextre and micrometeoroid debris shields to the International Space Station ISS. The research center AMS-02 will also be transported for installation on the ISS.

I'd like to see the righties/baggers try to convince us that this IS NOT domestic terrorism.
Fug duh kund
(01-08-2011, 04:07 PM)Luke Warmwater Wrote: I'd like to see the righties/baggers try to convince us that this IS NOT domestic terrorism.

Why would you like to see that when those people are dead? You think people who are conservative politically like it when people are killed? You are out of your fucking mind. Extremist, crazy mutherfucker.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Latest report, she is not dead, but critical..no deaths. She is in surgery.
From CNN:
(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was critically wounded Saturday in a shooting at a Tucson, Arizona, grocery store in which at least 11 other people were injured, officials said.

Darci Slaten, a spokeswoman for University Medical Center in Tucson, said Giffords was undergoing surgery Saturday afternoon for a gunshot wound to the head.

A federal judge from Arizona was among the 11 others shot in the incident, a law enforcement source told CNN.

The shooting happened shortly after 10 a.m. MST, Pima County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jason Ogan said.

AZ congresswoman among 12 shot in Tuscon

Several shot at Tuscon grocery store

Giffords, 40, was holding a constituent meeting at the Safeway grocery store when the shooting occurred, according to a schedule posted on her website.

An FBI spokesman said the agency was sending agents to the scene, and two senior Obama administration officials said the White House is monitoring the situation. They said they believed that a congressional staffer may have been killed.

Pictures from the scene showed a Giffords banner hanging from the storefront.

At least two victims with gunshot wounds were transported at Northwest Medical Center, according to spokesman Richard Parker.

The conditions of the 11 others shot were not immediately known.

The motive for the shooting is unclear, Ogan said.

"We're just trying to sort this out right now," he said.

An employee of a nearby business, Jason Pekau, told CNN that he did not see the shooting, but heard "15 to 20 gunshots."

Giffords, a Democrat, was first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.

She won her third term in a closely contested race against a Tea Party-sponsored candidate and was one of three Democratic legislators who reported vandalism at their offices following the March vote on health care reform.

She is married to Navy Capt. Mark Kelly, a NASA astronaut who is scheduled to lead a space shuttle mission to the International Space Station.

House Speaker John Boehner said he was "horrified" by the shooting.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve," he said. "Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society."

i keep checking AZ news outlets.

i am quite interested in seeing the suspect. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has spoken out against illegals i believe.

CNN update:
[Updated at 3 p.m. ET] Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is currently undergoing surgery for a gunshot wound to the head, a spokeswoman for the University Medical Center in Tucson said.

Nine patients were brought to the hospital, including a child. All of them are in either serious or critcial condition and are undergoing surgery, spokeswoman Darci Slaten said.

Surprised this has not happened sooner. The political rhetoric in this state is at a boiling point with our idiot Governor, who signed into law that any idiot in AZ can carry a gun, concealed too. She's trying to knock down the Federal 3 day waiting period. Another Jan Brewer death squad. Too bad it was not our Governor shot in the head, the best thing that could happen to Arizona.

This country needs to get serious in placing greater restrictions on accessibility to handguns, rifles, shotguns and assault weapons. Don't feed me your 2nd Amendment rights.

I grieve with the family's of all shot.
going to have to wait a while for the facts to shake down.

UPDATE: 2:20 CST, Tuscon Police report that 19 people have been injured in the shooting including the Congresswoman and 5 people have died. Police are currently searching for a possible second suspect.

UPDATE: 2:27 CST, Arizona State Senator Linda Lopez, a close personal friend of the Congresswoman reports Giffords to be in "Grave" condition.

UPDATE: 2:37 CST, Senator Lopez now reports that Giffords is "responding to commands" and is expected to survive the surgery. The bullet entered Giffords temple and exited on the same side.

I heard that the child died. :(
Commando Cunt Queen
a 9 year old girl died. Signs_173

also deceased:
from a July 2009 article:
In February, when U.S. District Judge John Roll presided over a $32 million civil-rights lawsuit filed by illegal immigrants against an Arizona rancher, the Marshals Service was anticipating the fallout.

When Roll ruled the case could go forward, [U.S. Marshal David Gonzales] said talk-radio shows cranked up the controversy and spurred audiences into making threats.

In one afternoon, Roll logged more than 200 phone calls. Callers threatened the judge and his family. They posted personal information about Roll online.

“They said, ‘We should kill him. He should be dead,’ ” Gonzales said.

Roll, who is the chief federal judge in Arizona, said both he and his wife were given a protection detail for about a month.

it's not known at this time of course, the motivation or identity of shooter.

(01-08-2011, 04:33 PM)Elvira Wrote: Surprised this has not happened sooner. The political rhetoric in this state is at a boiling point with our idiot Governor, who signed into law that any idiot in AZ can carry a gun, concealed too. She's trying to knock down the Federal 3 day waiting period. Another Jan Brewer death squad. Too bad it was not our Governor shot in the head, the best thing that could happen to Arizona.

This country needs to get serious in placing greater restrictions on accessibility to handguns, rifles, shotguns and assault weapons. Don't feed me your 2nd Amendment rights.

Those damn guns, they just keep on jumping out and killing people. wait a miniute guns are inanimate objects, how the fuck did this gun kill someone?

was it because an honest law abiding citizen had it?

the motherfucker who shot these people didn't give a rats ass if the gun was legal to own or not, you can ban guns completely and still have people shot, just ask new york or chicago how well their gun bans have worked?

honest law abiding citizens don't have guns, violent fucking criminals do, thats how it's worked.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) – The shooter in the mass murder of at least six people in Tucson, Arizona has been identified as 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner.

Loughner reportedly opened fire on a gathering at a Tucson grocery store this morning, killing an untold number and wounding more than a dozen, including a federal judge and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Loughner was described as a white male with short hair and dark clothing.

A Myspace page, written in the past tense and attributed to a “Jared Loughner” of Tucson, reads, “Schools:I attended school: Thornydale elementary,Tortolita Middle School, Mountain View High school, Northwest Aztec Middle College, and Pima Community College. Interests: My favorite interest was reading, and I studied grammar. Conscience dreams were a great study in college! Movies:(*My idiom: I could coin the moment!*) MusicSmiley_emoticons_razzass me the strings! Books:I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver’s Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.”

A Facebook page for Loughner was removed around 4:20 p.m. Saturday. The above photo was pulled from that page.

On a Myspace page apparently maintained by Loughner, he said goodbye to friends and said, "Please don't be mad at me... I cannot rest."

Authorities said the shooter was in custody.

Loughner reportedly made several YouTube videos with walls of text protesting the government and ranting against low literacy rates.

He looks frightenly normal. Gun he used was a 9MM Glock.

I heard on CNN he has pleaded the fifth, so is not talking yet.
here's his youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10#...HoaZaLbqB4

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said the man who shot Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others Saturday morning has 'mental issues." He also said he has a criminal history.

no shit. Sherlock

I'm getting a little sick of the media coverage. It's all "congresswoman shot" and oh, by the way, a bunch of other people died. CNN keeps posting HER picture as if she's the only fucking person that matters in this tragedy. It's pissing me off.
Commando Cunt Queen
(01-08-2011, 06:27 PM)IMaDick Wrote:
(01-08-2011, 04:33 PM)Elvira Wrote: Surprised this has not happened sooner. The political rhetoric in this state is at a boiling point with our idiot Governor, who signed into law that any idiot in AZ can carry a gun, concealed too. She's trying to knock down the Federal 3 day waiting period. Another Jan Brewer death squad. Too bad it was not our Governor shot in the head, the best thing that could happen to Arizona.

Those damn guns, they just keep on jumping out and killing people. wait a miniute guns are inanimate objects, how the fuck did this gun kill someone?

the motherfucker who shot these people didn't give a rats ass if the gun was legal to own or not, you can ban guns completely and still have people shot, just ask new york or chicago how well their gun bans have worked?

honest law abiding citizens don't have guns, violent fucking criminals do, thats how it's worked.

If only criminals and cops had guns, assassinations like this would not occur. I lived in Chicago, I saw the crime daily, I was a victim of a violent crime, I have the bullet holes in my torso to prove it.

If this country and politicians had any balls and represented "We the People" not corporations, special interests and lobbyist, shit like this might not happen. Bring back the Brady bill!

I'm all for tougher laws on the books for idiots caught with guns if they are unlicensed. 3 years minimum - no bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, no shots fired, minimum 7 years. No bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, shot fired, nobody injured, 12 years minimum. No bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, shots fired, with injuries 25 years minimum. No bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, shots fired, death, Capital punishment. No bargaining - no leniency.

Make guns (weapons) harder to obtain. The 5 Chicago cops killed last year in the line of duty might still be alive. Guns harder to obtain we might not of had a Columbine, Virgina Tech, Northern Illinois University, Holocaust Museum. he harder to obtain the harder for idiots like this schmuck Jared to obtain.

Arizona's Death Squad Governor with the stroke of a pen in September has allowed anyone to own a gun. No more classes. no more background checks, no more classes for concealed weapons, you can now carry a weapon (concealed or nor) anywhere in Arizona. How insecure are you?
Did you not read the thread? This isn't a gun control issue, it is an educational issue. If people could read, and comprehend, that crazy boy wouldn't have shot them. Be very careful.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(01-08-2011, 10:39 PM)Elvira Wrote:
(01-08-2011, 06:27 PM)IMaDick Wrote:

If only criminals and cops had guns, assassinations like this would not occur. I lived in Chicago, I saw the crime daily, I was a victim of a violent crime, I have the bullet holes in my torso to prove it.

If this country and politicians had any balls and represented "We the People" not corporations, special interests and lobbyist, shit like this might not happen. Bring back the Brady bill!

I'm all for tougher laws on the books for idiots caught with guns if they are unlicensed. 3 years minimum - no bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, no shots fired, minimum 7 years. No bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, shot fired, nobody injured, 12 years minimum. No bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, shots fired, with injuries 25 years minimum. No bargaining - no leniency.

Gun used in a crime, shots fired, death, Capital punishment. No bargaining - no leniency.

Make guns (weapons) harder to obtain. The 5 Chicago cops killed last year in the line of duty might still be alive. Guns harder to obtain we might not of had a Columbine, Virgina Tech, Northern Illinois University, Holocaust Museum. he harder to obtain the harder for idiots like this schmuck Jared to obtain.

Arizona's Death Squad Governor with the stroke of a pen in September has allowed anyone to own a gun. No more classes. no more background checks, no more classes for concealed weapons, you can now carry a weapon (concealed or nor) anywhere in Arizona. How insecure are you?

Ya every criminal buys his guns from a gun store, don't quit your day job, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

the armed american citizen is the only reason japan did not invade the US in world war 2, the armed american citizen is the only one who can protect themselves in a violent crime, the cops take a report and notify the next of kin, the armed american citizen is the only reason you can post the dribble you just posted, with out us you would not have the right to free speach.

don't like the gun laws here in this country find a different country,try canada, or may be communist china, stop fucking with my rights.

By the way, how the fuck did a criminal get a gun in chicago, I thought they were banned there?

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams