Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the School resource officer have the right to....
Get involved in a spat between a brother and sister, and arrest one of them on school grounds?

I know there's a few retired LE on here, I am hoping to get some different points of view.

The Story from Union Leader:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111.../710059961

MANCHESTER — Police are investigating a complaint of excessive force, after a West High school resource officer lifted a student from his seat on Tuesday, spun him around, forced him into a prone position and arrested him.

The entire incident was filmed and posted on CopBlock.org, an organization that advocates police accountability and individual liberties.

The organization encourages citizens to film police at work, and members have also chalked messages on the police station and other public property.

Police said Frank W. Harrington III, 17, of 363 Rimmon St., was arrested Monday about 11 a.m. at West High and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

“Today I got assaulted by a cop,” Harrington said on the video posted on CopBlock.org. In the video, an audible thunk is heard when school resource officer Darren Murphy spins Harrington around and forces him on what appears to be a tabletop.

But in his mug shot and a subsequent interview posted on CopBlock.org, Harrington shows no sign of injury.

“It's an open case. The student's been arrested, it's being investigated and I really have no further comment on it,” Police Chief David Mara said on Tuesday.

The teenager's parents have filed a complaint with the police about the arrest, Mara said. Police Capt. Robert Kunha, who is in charge of the legal division and professional conduct, will head up a separate investigation into the complaint, the chief said.

“We're going to be interviewing everyone who was a witness,” he said.

In his interview with CopBlock.org, Harrington said the matter involved a purse he took from his sister. When confronted by a school official, he said he would return it at the end of the day.

Murphy joined the principal, and Harrington refused to give the purse to the principal, he said. Told he was suspended, Harrington used an obscenity to question why, he said.

The arrest was filmed by Harrington friend Michael Proulx, who is also 17. He can be heard arguing with a teacher who tried to prevent him from taking the video. At one point, Proulx said: “Are you thick in your head?”

“I have a freedom to do this; don't touch me; don't touch me,” Proulx said, resisting her while filming the arrest.

Later in a CopBlock.org interview, Proulx said he knows the school prohibits use of electronic devices in the building, but said he had a right to film Tuesday's arrest.

He said school officials confronted him after the incident. Proulx said they demanded he delete the video, but he deleted a photograph instead.

On Wednesday, CopBlock.org posted a video by founder Ademo Freeman. He telephones and records a police captain and West High Principal Mary McGorry.

In neither call does Freeman say the conversation is being taped. The state wiretap law makes it a crime to audiotape or videotape someone without his or her consent.

“We're investigating the entire incident,” Mara said, “anything in connection with the incident.”

The Video:

My Take:

Where the hell was this cop when I was in school, and my brother would take my school bag or purse and hide it, or throw it in his locker for the day???

Seriously though, I know teens can get very mouthy (the person taking the cell phone video did, when the teacher tried to get the phone away from him). Could it be that the resource officer went too far because of the mouthiness, Or do you think that he did the right thing by arresting the brother?
The article doesn't really say why he was arrested. For taking the purse or for being mouthy to the principal? Where was his sister in all this?
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Since the charges were disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, I'd have to say he was arrested for being mouthy. On the video it shows the purse getting returned at 55 seconds in, at 1 minute in the Detective is walking away, at 1 minute 5 seconds, the detective is back and pulling the kid out of his seat. Not sure where the sister is.

There was another shorter article on WMUR.com, but it has been deleted since this morning, not sure why.
I can tell you what happened even without hearing what the detective said, He told the young man to stand up, the young man refused,(resisting) the kid then fought with him when he took hold of him (disorderly conduct).

As a cop once you step up you don't step back, domestic violence also occurs between siblings, the boy was obviously the aggressor in the sibling dispute you're not allowed to take personal property even from a sibling.

The kid needs a life lesson he may have just got one.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(10-05-2011, 01:09 PM)IMaDick Wrote: As a cop once you step up you don't step back,

Yes, I can see the reason why. If the detective let this kid walk all over him, he wouldn't get any respect from the other kids.

(10-05-2011, 01:09 PM)IMaDick Wrote: domestic violence also occurs between siblings, the boy was obviously the aggressor in the sibling dispute you're not allowed to take personal property even from a sibling.

Good point, I never would have thought of it as domestic violence.

Since thge kid that was arrested was 17, I'm sure he was old enough to know better.
I'm not sure about the in and outs but from what I have read about the case the kid in question deserves a nice slap to the chops and a good dressing down in front of his classmates.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
This is today's article in the Union Leader:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111.../710069955

MANCHESTER — Frank Harrington III wasn’t the only one in his family arrested Monday at West High School, the family said.

The 15-year-old sister of Harrington said she was charged with disorderly conduct after she “threw a fit in the office” after learning of her brother’s arrest. She is the owner of the pink purse — it’s actually a makeup bag — that police found in her brother’s possession.

Heidi Harrington said she was also suspended and will return to West on Friday.

She and the rest of her family spent much of Wednesday speaking to reporters who visited the two-family home on Rimmon Street.

Her brother wore a CopBlock.org sweatshirt, and CopBlock founder Adam Mueller was on hand when the New Hampshire Union Leader visited.

Frank Harrington said he found out about CopBlock.org a week or two before Monday. He played a DVD they handed out downtown, and he was inspired.

“I didn’t know about my rights,” he said. “If I didn’t know, I’d go along with it, get slammed and plead guilty. If a cop has a badge, it doesn’t give them extra rights.”

Harrington has been suspended for 10 days and faces the prospect of an even longer suspension. He said he may end up dropping out, get his GED and trying to go to college.

He said he is a sophomore who takes freshman classes. He was held back twice before high school.

“I do my work. I goof off. Sometimes I don’t do my work. I’m an average student,” he said. He and his parents said he has never been in trouble before and does not drink, use drugs or smoke cigarettes.

His parents said they know he swore when confronted by a school official.

“No matter what, nobody’s child should be abused like that in school,” said Frank Harrington Jr., his father.

“He could have made better choices than goofing off in a cafeteria, but I was 17, 18 once too,” said his mother, Jennifer Harrington.

She claimed that school resource officer Darren Murphy and Assistant Principal Richard Dichard also swore.

His father is a union painter. They have five children, and Harrington is the only son.

The entire incident started over some stolen candy, said Heidi and Frank III.

Someone accused Heidi of stealing the candy, so her brother took her makeup bag.

“It gave me an excuse to pick on her,” Frank said. He said he didn’t give the purse to authorities because he thought it was not a big deal.

“I was kind of goofing around with my sister,” he said.

I was surprised when I read that little sister got arrested as well. Unfortunately, while I agree that the kid more than likely deserved what he got, the Manchester PD is going to get some serious grief over the indecent.
The Mom has already contacted several of the bigger news agencies in New England-in a few of the interviews, she comes off looking like a dolt. Hopefully, the school and PD get this investigation over quickly, if for nothing else, to keep "Mom" off the news.

Link to WMUR Broadcast:

http://www.wmur.com/news/29399339/detail.html

He said he may end up dropping out, get his GED and trying to go to college.

i hate to see the kid drop out. :(

If I were the parent I'd be pissed at everyone involved, bunch of pain in the ass dopes.