Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
E-READER VS TABLET

Does anyone in here have both? I've talked about wanting a tablet but someone recently suggested an e-reader to me, like a Nook or Kindle, I was told they both feature internet access. I'm curious & would like to read the opinion of those that have one.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I want a Kindle Fire. I wanted the iPad before but it's very pricy. The Kindle Fire does the same thing and is perfect for my purposes.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
My iPad with Retina display makes reading a joy (even this website!).
(08-06-2012, 11:59 AM)ramseycat Wrote: I want a Kindle Fire. I wanted the iPad before but it's very pricy. The Kindle Fire does the same thing and is perfect for my purposes.

So, you actually HAVE neither?
(08-06-2012, 11:59 AM)ramseycat Wrote: I want a Kindle Fire. I wanted the iPad before but it's very pricy. The Kindle Fire does the same thing and is perfect for my purposes.

Yeah, the e-readers are a fraction of the cost of a tablet. Were you aware that one of them (can't recall which one) allows you to borrow e-books from your library?
^^ No Duchess, I didn't know that. I hope it's the Kindle Fire.

The main reason I have not gotten it yet is that I like the feel of a book. I love books!! An eReader just isn't the same.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
I have a regular Kindle that I love but it's just for reading. I've thought about getting a tablet too but fuck if I want to pay for yet another data plan on top of what we already pay for 4 smartphones.
Commando Cunt Queen
I am still kind of old fashioned...I still use these relics:

[Image: books.jpg]
I love not having 5 billion books laying around waiting to be donated.

My daughter broke her Kindle a year ago but she started a book series yesterday and read 2 books in a day and I can't find the 3rd (no boookstores nearby). May give her my Kindle and get a new one for myself. going to look at them today.
Commando Cunt Queen
Google offers the Nexus 7 that beats the Kindle Fire and the price point is the same at 199.99. If Amazon takes on the challenge they will come out with another Kindle that meets or beats the Nexus 7 very soon.

http://www.theverge.com/products/compare...3767/5147/
(08-06-2012, 12:42 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Yeah, the e-readers are a fraction of the cost of a tablet. Were you aware that one of them (can't recall which one) allows you to borrow e-books from your library?

You're stuck with Amazon if you get a Kindle, and can't download stuff free from the Library.

You can use the Library with the Nook and most (if not all) other E-readers.
Going to another library. 52

My purist daughter said she liked having a real book in her hand.
Commando Cunt Queen
(08-06-2012, 05:31 PM)FAHQTOO Wrote: You're stuck with Amazon if you get a Kindle, and can't download stuff free from the Library.

You can use the Library with the Nook and most (if not all) other E-readers.

Thanks! I knew it was one of them that had had the library access feature. Like User, I don't want another data plan but I do want one that comes with wifi, that will be good enough for me.
(08-06-2012, 05:22 PM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: Google offers the Nexus 7 that beats the Kindle Fire and the price point is the same at 199.99. If Amazon takes on the challenge they will come out with another Kindle that meets or beats the Nexus 7 very soon.

I have the Nexus 7, and I love it. At $249 for the 16 gig, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a IPad, and does everything the Ipad can do. The only difference I can see is the screen size. The Nexus only has a 7 inch screen.
(08-06-2012, 08:04 PM)cannongal Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 05:22 PM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: Google offers the Nexus 7 that beats the Kindle Fire and the price point is the same at 199.99. If Amazon takes on the challenge they will come out with another Kindle that meets or beats the Nexus 7 very soon.

I have the Nexus 7, and I love it. At $249 for the 16 gig, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a IPad, and does everything the Ipad can do. The only difference I can see is the screen size. The Nexus only has a 7 inch screen.

Do you pay for a data plan? Too lazy to google, just ANSWER ME, DAMMIT! hah
I have an e reader that I downloaded my favorite books on to so I can read them any old time and the books don't get destroyed. I don't like to buy books and have them lying around, eapecially if they didn't interest me enough to read them again but I'm a frequent flier at the library. My kids have had library cards since they were three and could write their own names.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
I may treat myself to a google nexus for the holiday or my birthday. Mostly I don't buy stuff for myself because I always know all the ways the money could be better spent.
Donovan - Check out the Samsung Galaxy 2 7" tablet. It's the same price as the 16gig Nexus 7 but it has microSD card capability (unlimited storage) where the Google tablet does not.

My son has one and it's pretty slick. I'm too hamfisted to make use of it but it's nifty and worth the money seems like.
Thanks. Mostly I use my phone for mobile internet but got-damn screen is getting smaller as I get older. Must be some kind of wormhole or science-fiction thing.
Probably time for us to get one of those giant button bright yellow keyboards they advertise on tv. I think there's a 2fer deal. I'll shoot you one right after I get my jitterbug and giant button home phone.