Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MUST HAVE SPICES

What are yours?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
cinnamon and vanilla (is that considered a spice?)
(08-28-2012, 11:33 AM)Ilyanna Wrote: (is that considered a spice?)

Vanilla is the second most expensive SPICE after saffron. I looked it up. Smiley_emoticons_smile
If you buy real vanilla extract it is very expensive but worth it.

I always have a sea salt grinder, a pepper grinder, fresh garlic and garlic powder. I also have orgeno and basil. Whatever the recipe calls for is what I get if I don't already have it.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Eleven herbs and spices go into my batch of fried chicken, but I can't/won't tell you what they are.
It's a secret.
Quote:Vanilla is the second most expensive SPICE after saffron. I looked it up. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Ah, cool! I never really grasped the difference, since for me, 'spice' is anything that is added to food for flavor, but I heard that there are clear distinctions (I get the herb/spice one, though).

Yeah that stuff is seriously expensive. I don't use the synthetic vanillin, either, so it's one of these small luxuries I allow myself to indulge in (I use a small amount for my cereal pretty much on a daily basis).
Real vanilla, not the cheap corn syrup crap they pass off as such. For me I'm finding dried garlic, peppercorns and assorted seasoning spices are very handy. I picked up three or four different premixed bottles with hrinder tops, and also I tinker with my own blends using old bottles. Cooking for myself it's much more efficient. Not necessarily a spice, but olive oil is also in my cabinet and raw apple cider vinegar. Goddamn ACV is magic. I just used it for curing a kid's shingle pain and killing fruit flies all in one day. Then drank a little to help with this chest cold.
(08-28-2012, 11:50 AM)Donovan Wrote: Goddamn ACV is magic.

Yes, it is. I started using it on my hair recently because the hard water was fucking it up so bad. I used it to clean my coffee maker & to take the hard water crap off my faucets too. I love that stuff & wish I would have discovered its magic sooner.
I discovered the shingles cure trying to help my g/f's teenager who was suffering bad and creams were not helping. Couldn't get him to drink any of it as recommended, but he applied a little and was amazed at how well it worked. Pain gone almost immediately and shingles healing by the next day. Hard to impress a teenager lol.
Then the fruit fly thing I read about after they infested my kitchen while I was gone a week or so. Hundreds of the little fuckers. A salt shaker full of acv with about a teaspoon of dishsoap and by next morning most of them were dead in the bottom. Two days and the house is clear. Nice...
Besides for everything else that was mentioned, I clean my floors with ACV too.

I have every spice you can think of, some of them I even have two or three jars of because I forgot I had it and bought more. What I'm ever going to do with all this sage, celery salt and ginger, I don't know. The ones I use the most though are Lawry's seasoning salt, garlic powder and Old Bay.
I very strongly dislike fruit flies, so I'm gonna try this next time they think they can make a new home in my kitchen.
It was amazing how well it worked. I had been making my boy crack up all weekend because all he could hear from the kitchen was CLAP! "HA! Gotcha, ya little fucker!" Every couple seconds. When I finally looked for solutions it seemed too simple but next morning there were probably a hundred dead ones in the bottom of the dish. The ACV attracts them and the dish soap kills them or something. I dunno. But I'm a fan, and I'm just gonna leave a dish out whenever I split for a couple days.
Just for information. I am doing this tonight.

How to: Freeze & Preserve Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil

1. Choose fresh herbs from the market or your own garden.
2. You can chop them well, or leave on branches and leaves. In the photo, the herbs are finely chopped.
3. Place on trays of i
ce
cubes (about 23 full of herbs).
4. You can mix herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary).
5. Place extra virgin olive oil or unsalted melted butter over the herbs.
6. Cover with plastic and freeze.
7. Remove frozen cubes and store in small containers or bags to freeze.
8. Do not forget to label each container or bag with the type of herbs (and oil) inside!
Photo: How to: Freeze & Preserve Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil 1. Choose fresh herbs from the market or your own garden. 2. You can chop them well, or leave on branches and leaves. In the photo, the herbs are finely chopped. 3. Place on trays of i ce cubes (about 23 full of herbs). 4. You can mix herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary). 5. Place extra virgin olive oil or unsalted melted butter over the herbs. 6. Cover with plastic and freeze. 7. Remove frozen cubes and store in small containers or bags to freeze. 8. Do not forget to label each container or bag with the type of herbs (and oil) inside!
(08-28-2012, 12:46 PM)Donovan Wrote: I had been making my boy crack up all weekend because all he could hear from the kitchen was CLAP! "HA! Gotcha, ya little fucker!" Every couple seconds.

hah
Recently discovered this stuff. It is all healthy and organic and stuff. Not bad. http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-...oning.html

[Image: sprinkle_web.jpg]
(08-28-2012, 02:25 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Recently discovered this stuff. It is all healthy and organic and stuff. Not bad. http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-...oning.html

Those are the guys who make my favorite raw ACV, I'll have to try that out. Does Weggie's have it? You're in my area I think...
(08-28-2012, 04:21 PM)Donovan Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 02:25 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Recently discovered this stuff. It is all healthy and organic and stuff. Not bad. http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-...oning.html

Those are the guys who make my favorite raw ACV, I'll have to try that out. Does Weggie's have it? You're in my area I think...

Did you just say Weggies? Ok, you're gay.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

Hahaha!

He didn't lisp.
One does not insult the Weggie's. All your pissant grocery stores WISH they were the Weggie's. All your base are belong to the Weggie's.

The Weggie's is all-powerful.
Dono, I am worried about you. Are you sure that you didn't accidentally use the fruit-fly trap to spice your lunch today?