Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MORNING AFTER PILLS

Schools in NYC have made this available to their students as well as other forms of contraceptives. What do you think about that, both in general & personally if you have kids?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I need to know a bit more about how that works to form an opinion.
What does "make available" exactly mean in this context - does the school nurse or someone similar give it out to them, or do the schools have an appointed doc? Or is it simply being paid for by the school?

Here's a little more information -

The CATCH program targets selected schools in poorer districts without health centers.

Parents are sent a letter informing them of the availability of contraception. If they do not check a box telling the school not to distribute contraceptives to their child, the student may access the drugs without permission.

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I tend to believe that the idea of this pill being available would lead kids to be more sexually active.

So, morally I'm not a fan of that, but, if this is keeping kids already living in welfare/food stamp situations from unwanted pregnancies, then I guess I'm okay with them having access to this.
I'm all for it.

ETA: I'd like some program like that here (and I don't live in a poor area). I'd much rather my daughter take a pill than have to deal with an unplanned pregnancy. I think if they're going to be sexually active they will regardless of the availability of b/c.

MS, would you have any problem with them having free condoms for guys?
Commando Cunt Queen
I'm for it too.
Ah, that explains it, thanks. I think it is a very, very good program, from what I can see. Not much else to say, really. The reality is that there is no way to stop young ppl from exploring their sexuality, even though a lot of ppl would like to have it otherwise. Providing with the means to do so without risking to fuck up (hehe) their whole lifes with one little mistake is, imo, the best way for a society to care for its youth in that regard.
MS, I can tell you from experience that the Morning After Pill is no walk in the park. It might be different for other women, but I got incredibly sick and was in pain for hours after taking it. I dare say that most women who experienced that think twice about relying on it as a means to be more sexually active without the risk of pregnancy. As valuable as it is, it truly sucks as a regular contraception method, bigtime.
(09-24-2012, 05:41 PM)username Wrote: MS, would you have any problem with them having free condoms for guys?

No problem. I'm all for it.
I like the fact that teens have access to birth control and pregnancy tests. I do worry about the schools' liability should something go wrong or if a parent threatens to sue because their daughter took the pill without their explicit consent.

However, while the article states that the plan was implemented a year ago and about 565 students were given the pill, it doesn't indicate that any legal or medical complications have arisen. So, hopefully all of the bases have been covered as much as possible.

Reduced teen pregnancies and abortions = very good thing, imo.
(09-24-2012, 05:52 PM)Ilyanna Wrote: MS, I can tell you from experience that the Morning After Pill is no walk in the park. It might be different for other women, but I got incredibly sick and was in pain for hours after taking it. I dare say that most women who experienced that think twice about relying on it as a means to be more sexually active without the risk of pregnancy. As valuable as it is, it truly sucks as a regular contraception method, bigtime.

I kinda jumped the gun when I said I was for it having no idea what the immediate and long term side effects are from it. That would be my only concern, however.
Finally, I'm a strong supporter. My body the CHOICE is mine (OR) The young lady who finds herself in a situation of needing the pill.
(09-24-2012, 08:19 PM)sally Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 05:52 PM)Ilyanna Wrote: MS, I can tell you from experience that the Morning After Pill is no walk in the park. It might be different for other women, but I got incredibly sick and was in pain for hours after taking it. I dare say that most women who experienced that think twice about relying on it as a means to be more sexually active without the risk of pregnancy. As valuable as it is, it truly sucks as a regular contraception method, bigtime.

I kinda jumped the gun when I said I was for it having no idea what the immediate and long term side effects are from it. That would be my only concern, however.

As far as I know, it's just like 6 (or some such number) of b/c pills at once. Maybe painful but I don't think there's much, if any, risk of long term side effects.

Besides, the parents have the option of opting out so they have the opportunity to research the risks etc. before they agree that the school can dispense them to their daughter.

I think it's a good program.
Ah, it still is way better than the alternatives ( not saying it is always better than having the child, but the physical and emotional effects are definitely less enduring Smiley_emoticons_wink ), but, yeah, it is and should be used as an emergency option. Which, if things haven't changed dramatically since I last read up on it, is exactly how it is being prescribed by doctors.

Long-term, it certainly has less an effect than taking the "standard" oral contraceptive on a regular basis, but as I said - pleasant, it is not. But still - I was damn glad at the time that such a medication exists.
Morning after pill is abortion, you ladies should know what you are doing. If you want to do it, that is your business, but you should know what you are doing.
(09-24-2012, 09:01 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Morning after pill is abortion, you ladies should know what you are doing. If you want to do it, that is your business, but you should know what you are doing.

That's bullshit.
(09-24-2012, 09:01 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: Morning after pill is abortion, you ladies should know what you are doing. If you want to do it, that is your business, but you should know what you are doing.

What is it they are doing exactly by taking this pill?
Aussie, WOW we are talking about High School GIRLS, LADIES. They are still dealing with boys.
It's the girls, ladies or women's choice.
If you believe that life begins at conception then I guess it is abortion right? You're stopping the very beginning of a life.
Uh, no, it is not abortion, not even in the strictest of sense. The MAP prevents ovulation and, in case an egg still is ready and willing, pretty much disables any sperm to impregnate it. I repeat, there is NO fertilization happening. Please read up on it before you say something placative, aussie.

There does exist a so-called abortion pill. It has a completely different indication (you guess it - abortion) and effect, and no state, city, school, or doctor in the US or Europe would consider simply distributing it to pregnant students.