Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zahra Baker, a murdered child
A search of a site in Dudley Shoals for missing Zahra Baker turned up animal bones on Monday...

By Richard Gould
Published: October 26, 2010
Updated: October 27, 2010 - 12:36 AM
» 3 Comments | Post a Comment

Investigators spent Tuesday searching for Zahra Baker’s remains off Christie Road in Hudson about seven miles from the site they had searched Monday.

Misinformation persisted throughout the day. One frequently repeated rumor was that Zahra Baker’s body was found stuffed in a mattress at the search site.

Hickory Police Chief Tom Adkins said there is no truth to the rumor. He said investigators have not found Zahra’s remains.

A mattress was found at the Foothills Environmental landfill in Caldwell County Tuesday, but it contained no remains. Employees discovered the mattress when they were regrading the area that was searched last week. Hickory police confirmed that, “This mattress possessed DNA evidence that will be tested in the future to confirm if it is involved with this investigation.” The nature of the evidence was not released.

Adkins said investigators have been getting information from a newly-cooperative source: Zahra’s stepmother, Elisa Baker. He said Baker is cooperating with police and providing them with information through her attorneys, Lisa Dubs and Scott Reilly.

Zahra’s father, Adam Baker, has been in the Catawba County jail since he turned himself in at the Hickory Police Department at 3:12 a.m. Monday. He went to the police station after picking up his mother and brother at the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport.

Baker was arrested on charges unrelated to the disappearance of his daughter and jailed under a $7,000 bond. They include five counts of worthless checks and failure to appear.

The Australian Consulate in Atlanta was notified of Baker’s arrest at his request.

THE SEARCH

The Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office posted barricades and deputies at both entrances to Christie Road as investigators combed the area with dog teams.

“We just had to shut the road because it is so narrow down in there,” said B.J. Fore of the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office. “We’re extending the search area. We’re going to be here at least until dark.”

Though access to Tuesday’s site was tightly controlled, Monday’s search location near the intersection of Dudley Shoals Road and Burns Road was not secured.

Investigators had searched along a short dead-end road. The smell of rotting flesh was heavy in the air.

Small flags in the thicket on the southern side of the road marked several rotting deer carcasses. Long jawbones, skulls ribs and vertebrae littered the ground. A hoof and tattered hide lay beside the road.

Trails on the northern side of the road led through a stand of trees to a stone dam where water cascades onto smooth rocks below.

The sound of the rushing water contrasted with the piles of trash and clothes moldering under wet leaves. An orange flag marked a small bone. A pile of rotten boards looked like it had been sifted and dug through in recent days.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/...ar-485567/

We had some really bad storms last night - tornadoes touched down about 20 miles away as well which may make searching tough especially if there are already streams where they are searching there's been some local flooding.
Hickory Record reported this, that adam's mother and brother have arrived in NC.
i'd be interested in whatever statements they may make since that is little Zahra's grandmother who raised her and loved her.

Zahra’s father, Adam Baker, has been in the Catawba County jail since he turned himself in at the Hickory Police Department at 3:12 a.m. Monday. He went to the police station after picking up his mother and brother at the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport.

KICKS 103.3 - WJRI 1340 - WKGX 1080
A press conference is scheduled for 4:30 this afternoon concerning the Zahra Baker case. Steve Zushin is heading to the scene and will bring you an update live on Kicks 103.3 once it concludes
HICKORY, NC (WBTV) - Various crews were back at the Adam and Elisa Baker house on Wednesday afternoon -- digging with a tractor and rummaging through mulch piles -- a day after a mattress was found in the missing girl case.

Authorities also called a special press conference about the Zahra Baker case at 4:30 pm. WBTV.com plans to carry the press conference LIVE on the web.

On Tuesday afternoon, authorities released two key pieces of information in the Zahra Baker case: confirmation that the missing girl's stepmother started cooperating with police on Sunday and the fact that crews Tuesday accidentally found a mattress similar to Zahra's in the landfill they spent four days in last week.

Sources also say that the jailed stepmother of a missing 10-year-old Hickory girl -- cooperating with authorities since Sunday -- was taken from her cell early Monday and driven to at least two areas that were later searched by officials for clues about the missing girl.

cut to save space - full article here http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13297637
i just got back here, thanks for heads up on presser!

they were using a backhoe in back yard of the house. if they found something there, why wasn't it dug up sooner than today? didn't dogs hit on mulch piles back in the beginning?

HICKORY, N.C. -- Investigators have returned to the Hickory home where 10-year-old Zahra Baker was reported missing two weeks ago.

police were searching and digging in the backyard.

Hickory police have scheduled a formal media briefing today at 4:30 p.m.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   25538461_240X180.jpg (Size: 8.82 KB / Downloads: 154)

poor Zahra's prosthetic leg has been found. waiting for details.
it was not buried.

Thanks for the update. This case has me so upset. That little girl went through more in her 10 years than most of us have in a lifetime. I hope that both of the vermin who did this to her pay DEARLY, and to those who made even a cent on the back of this dead child - shame on you! SHAME ON YOU! You are filth.

[Image: ae216911c39fb9735adae7e1ac00a4841ef.gif]
some real master criminal genius simply threw the leg out a car window into the scrub.
so now, what did they do with Zahra?

Unfuckingbelievable. I guess it's only a matter of time before the rest of her is found. So tragic and heartbreaking.
Bampton

Go fascinate someone else.
word is adam baker has bonded out of jail. (perhaps his mother and brother?)
media hasn't even reported it yet that i can see.
i am sure HPD will be watching his sorry ass.

Oh you know they have the shithead on their radar! We know she's dead, but the fact that her leg has been found (maybe not confirmed as hers, but who else could it belong to?) just drives it home. :( I just hope the rest of her remains are recovered quickly so the HPD and DA can get the ball rolling on putting away the frigs responsible for this.
Bampton

Go fascinate someone else.
last night the FBI and others were in the house late. this appears to be luminol glow, a chemical used to detect blood presence on surfaces.

Luminol is a chemical that exhibits chemiluminescence, with a striking blue glow, when mixed with an appropriate oxidizing agent.
Luminol is used by forensic investigators to detect trace amounts of blood left at crime scenes as it reacts with iron found in hemoglobin.

photo courtesy of someone local.

Is a grand jury empaneled in this town or county? Hell . . . I'd use it to spark a "Come to Jesus" moment from these two sorry-ass fucks. Turn up the pressure and get them scrambling.
I guess she really is dead. At least she won't feel any more pain. I hope they fry that step mom bitch. And I don't even belive inthe dealth penalty.
News reported the grand jury meets next Monday. My guess is there will be evidence enough to return indictment.

Let's hope the justice and peace this poor girl deserves is served.
not a lot is required to indict. Grand Juries usually agree to the DA request with minimal evidence.

News 14 NC

funny she needed all these AKAs.

HICKORY, N.C. – Elisa Baker, the stepmother of missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker, is expected to appear in court Friday morning on charges unrelated to the girl's disappearance.

Baker, who does face obstruction of justice charges after admitting to writing a ransom note in the case, will appear on charges of writing worthless checks.

News 14 Carolina found court documents revealing a subpoena for all of Elisa Baker's bank records from the State Bureau of Investigation. The subpoena listed eight additonal names that Baker's accounts could be under:

• Elisa Young, her last name from a previous marriage
• Elisa Fairchild, her maiden name
• Elisa Proctor
• Elisa Harris
• Elisa Allred
• Elisa Putnam
• Elisa Michelle Church
• Elisa Fullman

Baker's daughter testified that a man with the last name of Fullman sent her mother $10,000 last year.

Elisa Baker's husband, Adam Baker, the father of the missing girl, is also charged with writing bad checks. He bonded out of Catawba County jail Wednesday night.

Authorities are expected to return to the Bakers' home Friday morning to search for additional evidence related to Zahra's disappearance. On Thursday, a crime scene technician was seen measuring, photographing and collecting possible evidence. Authorities also removed furniture and pieces of paneling from inside the home. BLOOD?

Did LE deem the residence of the purported "abduction" of Zahra as a crime scene and bar entry from anyone except investigators? You know where I'm going with this . . .
(10-29-2010, 12:15 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Did LE deem the residence of the purported "abduction" of Zahra as a crime scene and bar entry from anyone except investigators? You know where I'm going with this . . .

well there has been crime scene tape up, but i'd like to know why it wasn't up long before now.

elisa baker did not appear in court, but her case on the checks was continued to Dec.