Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
BOMBING AT BOSTON MARATHON-GRAPHIC PHOTOS

This young man has lost both his legs, as you can see one was blown off.

[Image: article-0-196683DC000005DC-12_306x423.jpg] [Image: article-0-195B916D000005DC-184_634x402.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Under a special legal exception designed to protect public safety, he will not get a Miranda warning or be offered a lawyer for up to 48 hours. I guess I don't understand when does this 48 hour clock start? After we save his ass from dying or did it start when he was taken into custody? Clarification please! And I must say after they get what they want out of him, I think he should just happen to fall down a flight of stairs. I don't want to pay for the toilet paper to wipe his ass!
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!Thumb_smiley-vault-signs-060
Excellent Posts!!! Duchess #134 and Jimbone #135.

I am still asking why? what did the innocent people at Boston Marathon do to deserve this.

When was the last time you saw a Pressure Cooker? I had a girlfriend years ago that loved to sew all day long, she'd hurry up and pop food in the Pressure Cooker 15 minutes before her husband got home.

Who is the sick bastard that dreamed this sick idea up?

This poor darling boy in this wheelchair with no legs because of this and so many others.

I'm very sad for everyone in Boston and my prayers go out to you.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
My understanding is that the Miranda and counsel exception (in the name of public safety) starts at the time the suspect is taken into custody and expires in 48 hours. FBI wants to interrogate this guy asap in case he's part of a bigger plot with more violent acts in the works (especially given his severe condition), but the suspect needs to be read his rights by tomorrow night.

UNLESS...

If some Republicans have their way, the suspect will be denied his Miranda rights indefinitely.

From Rachel Maddow show last night:
Two powerful GOP senators are calling on the Obama administration to treat the captured suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings as an "enemy combatant" and deny him counsel even though he is reportedly an American citizen.

Regardless his citizenship status, McCain and Graham say Dzhokhar Tsarnaev gave up his rights to a criminal trial when he allegedly participated in the bombings.

"Under the Law of War we can hold this suspect as a potential enemy combatant not entitled to Miranda warnings or the appointment of counsel," McCain and Graham said.

IMO, McCain and Graham's proposal is highly unlikely to be approved by Obama unless something substantial clearly pointing to the suspect being an enemy combatant engaged in an act of war can be gleaned before the 48 hours expires.
(04-20-2013, 03:01 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: My understanding is that the Miranda and counsel exception (in the name of public safety) starts at the time the suspect is taken into custody and expires in 48 hours. FBI wants to interrogate this guy asap in case he's part of a bigger plot with more violent acts in the works (especially given his severe condition), but the suspect needs to be read his rights by tomorrow night.

This I can agree with. I shot my mouth off earlier, I didn't have an understanding of what it meant and I should have taken the time to investigate.

The other stuff - I don't agree with at all. I've sometimes been the first to say that if you do a criminal deed you should forfeit your rights to any courtesy but that's just me givin' some lip. Are they going to put bombs & bombers in a league of their own. What's wrong with just following the rules of law that are already in place, he bombed, he murdered, he was caught now let the wheels of justice grind in an excruciatingly slow manner like they do with everything else, he's not going anywhere for the rest of his miserable life.
(04-20-2013, 01:33 PM)Duchess Wrote:

This young man has lost both his legs, as you can see one was blown off.

Actually, both is legs were blown off. Very sad.

[Image: liveleak-dot-com-b4d6143b51d9-f8b4e8bc6c...jpg?w=1120]
(04-20-2013, 03:15 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(04-20-2013, 03:01 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: My understanding is that the Miranda and counsel exception (in the name of public safety) starts at the time the suspect is taken into custody and expires in 48 hours. FBI wants to interrogate this guy asap in case he's part of a bigger plot with more violent acts in the works (especially given his severe condition), but the suspect needs to be read his rights by tomorrow night.

This I can agree with. I shot my mouth off earlier, I didn't have an understanding of what it meant and I should have taken the time to investigate.

The other stuff - I don't agree with at all. I've sometimes been the first to say that if you do a criminal deed you should forfeit your rights to any courtesy but that's just me givin' some lip. Are they going to put bombs & bombers in a league of their own. What's wrong with just following the rules of law that are already in place, he bombed, he murdered, he was caught now let the wheels of justice grind in an excruciatingly slow manner like they do with everything else, he's not going anywhere for the rest of his miserable life.

Same here. I get the public safety exception in this case, but think that the enemy combatant and act of war designations don't apply here (based on what little has been revealed thus far).

Unless there's clear evidence that the suspect is an enemy combatant when the 48 hours expires, it would be very disturbing, to me, if the POS was denied his rights because there's an unconfirmed suspicion that he might possibly be involved in something that could be classified as an act of war at a later date. Imo, that's exploiting the intent of the war exceptions and should be worrisome to all US citizens. JMO...
Post #146 and 124.......This is extremely sad and graphic. Please warn readers who may venture into this thread.
Puss! Smiley_emoticons_smile
(04-20-2013, 03:34 PM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: Post #146.......This is extremely sad and graphic. Please warn readers who may venture into this thread.

Done.

I was watching Fox News today and lawyers seemed to state that the public safety exception doesn't necessarily have an expiration time. I briefly skimmed the following and I don't see reference to a 48 hour time period although I've seen that reported in the news too.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/public...gal_digest
Commando Cunt Queen
(04-20-2013, 03:43 PM)username Wrote: I was watching Fox News today and lawyers seemed to state that the public safety exception doesn't necessarily have an expiration time. I briefly skimmed the following and I don't see reference to a 48 hour time period although I've seen that reported in the news too.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/public...gal_digest

The 48 hours isn't part of the law, AFAIK. It's a guideline max that's not been exceeded in the past and what Obama has agreed to. To the best of my knowledge.

3 Friends of the suspect were taken into custody. Could just be routine questioning, despite the salacious headlines. Remains to be seen.

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. —Three people were detained by the FBI in New Bedford on Friday in connection with one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Officials said they were being questions about their "familiarization" with the man police have called Suspect No. 2. Their names were not released.

More here:
http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/3-d...index.html
It's too high profile, but I was hoping when he's stabilized they would load him onto a black jet in the middle of the night and take him somewhere really scary.

Citizens who join the jihad become enemy combatants, whether they are stateside or not. That's my opinion.

I don't think they are associated with any terrorist organization.

I'll be back to eat those words if I'm wrong. Nom Nom Nom

Thermal imaging. Cool, huh.

[Image: original.jpg]
(04-20-2013, 03:34 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(04-20-2013, 03:15 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Same here. I get the public safety exception in this case, but think that the enemy combatant and act of war designations don't apply here (based on what little has been revealed thus far).

Unless there's clear evidence that the suspect is an enemy combatant when the 48 hours expires, it would be very disturbing, to me, if the POS was denied his rights because there's an unconfirmed suspicion that he might possibly be involved in something that could be classified as an act of war at a later date. Imo, that's exploiting the intent of the war exceptions and should be worrisome to all US citizens. JMO...

The reason I was curious about the 48hr rule, is that the media is saying he is unable to talk. The poor dumb ass isn't doing well with a bullet in his neck, I guess. It just worried me that he will be able to lawyer up sooner than later.
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!Thumb_smiley-vault-signs-060
(04-20-2013, 06:19 PM)chinchillas2cool Wrote: It just worried me that he will be able to lawyer up sooner than later.

Miriam Conrad, the federal defender for Massachusetts, says her office expects to represent Dzhokhar Tsarnaev after he is charged.
Well, it sounds like the 48 hour rule is somewhat flexible. However, they're really only supposed to question him during the exception period about his possible ties to any groups. Questions about the crime are a no-no.

Also, I heard that what he says during this period can't be used against him in a criminal case.

Absent some direct link to a terrorist organization, I think it would be an abuse of the enemy combatant designation.
Commando Cunt Queen
(04-20-2013, 06:19 PM)chinchillas2cool Wrote: The reason I was curious about the 48hr rule, is that the media is saying he is unable to talk. The poor dumb ass isn't doing well with a bullet in his neck, I guess. It just worried me that he will be able to lawyer up sooner than later.

It was a good question.

I wonder if the 48 hours will be extended if he can't talk or write and be questioned about the potential public threat (which is the extent of questioning legally allowed under this Miranda exception).

Will be interesting to see what happens here in the next day or so.
Well duh me. I hadn't thought of this but a talking head just pointed out you can't give someone their Miranda rights anyway unless they're able to acknowledge that they understand those rights.

He's listed as being in serious condition and might be intubated.
Commando Cunt Queen
(04-20-2013, 03:25 PM)Jimbone Wrote: Actually, both is legs were blown off. Very sad.

I hadn't seen that picture in its entirety before now. 21