Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Daniel Morcombe (Altar boy) 13, murdered
Morcombes deliver child safety message to Cairns

The parents of murdered Queensland teenager Daniel Morcombe will share their story with residents in Cairns in the state's far north on Saturday.

Daniel Morcombe was 13 when he disappeared while waiting for a bus at Woombye on the Sunshine Coast hinterland in 2003, sparking the largest missing persons case in Queensland's history.

Bruce and Denise Morcombe are touring 20 schools on a regional road trip from Brisbane to Cairns as part of National Child Safety week.

They will then help the State Government to develop a child safety program for the Queensland school curriculum.

Mr Morcombe says the final event for Child Protection Week will be held at the Cairns Esplanade on Saturday at 2:00pm (AEST).

"Relating Daniel's very real story to danger and safety messages so that the kids sit up listen and learn that no longer can they think that, 'I'm not interested, that is just never going to happen to me'," he said.

The Morcombes will speak to students at the Mareeba State High School, south-west of Cairns, next Tuesday.

Human remains found last month in bushland at Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast have been confirmed as those of Daniel Morcombe.

Police have charged Brett Peter Cowan with a number of offences, including with Daniel's abduction and murder.

The father of three has signalled he will fight the charges.

For those of you who don't know Australia very well. Cairns is at the top end of Queensland. Queensland is seen as the "Sunshine State" it's similar to Florida. Cairns is an extremely popular tourist destination with alot of transients. This includes backpackers, caravan parks (trailer parks), tourists etc.

These destinations can also be easy prey for predators which is why I think the Morcombes have strategically picked up along the coast of Queensland. I am not sure if Cairns was a destination for Oprah when she was here, but I would say it probably would have been as it is such a high profile tourist town.

As you have probably seen, the reporting on Daniel's case has been sparce in comparison to other cases. I think that the police are being extremely careful to let out no information so that the defendant can not claim he has been predjudiced against. We have extremely leniant laws here in Australia in comparison to US. The privacy laws are tight and this can work to the advantage of criminals and sexual predators in this country. We have no 'sex offender' list in this country, so we have no idea where the sex offenders are.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Daniel Morcombe (Altar boy) 13, murdered - by aussiefriend - 09-09-2011, 03:03 AM