Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
THE DEMS PLAN A COMEBACK
HairOfTheDog Offline

RE: THE DEMS PLAN A COMEBACK

Probably the biggest race to watch is for governor of Virginia. Hillary Clinton won the 2016 presidential election in the state, but there are plenty of Republican and Independent Virginians too.

The run-off to replace Governor McCauliff (Dem) is between Democrat Ralph Northam and Republican Ed Gillespie. Gillespie has never toed the Trump line, but he uncharacteristically invoked some strategies from the Trump playbook in his recent campaign efforts -- focusing on illegal immigration, sanctuary cities, gangs, white nationalism, keeping confederate statues, and denouncing NFL protesters. Trump has been making public endorsements and tweeting his support for Gillespie in recent days. Northam has the support and endorsement of Obama.

Other races underway are for governor of New Jersey and some down-ticket elections.

It's pretty certain that the New Jersey Democratic candidate, Phil Murphy, will win the governorship due to the very low approval ratings for the current Republican governor Chris Christie and the Republican candidate's association with him.

More about tonight's races: http://ktla.com/2017/11/07/virginia-gove...-mood/amp/

11-07-2017 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

Well tonight is turning out to be a very good one for the Democrats. Maybe it will motivate them to pull together in a united front to keep the wave rolling?

-Virginia elected Democrats to fill every state-level vacancy, including the governorship. They also elected the country's first transgender state legislator.

-New Jersey replaced Republican Chris Christie with Democrat Phil Murphy.

-New York City re-elected Democrat Bill de Blasio, etc...

11-08-2017 12:57 AM

Blindgreed1 Offline
Mocker

(11-08-2017 12:57 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Well tonight is turning out to be a very good one for the Democrats. Maybe it will motivate them to pull together in a united front to keep the wave rolling?

-Virginia elected Democrats to fill every state-level vacancy, including the governorship. They also elected the country's first transgender state legislator.

-New Jersey replaced Republican Chris Christie with Democrat Phil Murphy.

-New York City re-elected Democrat Bill de Blasio, etc...
It's about time that fat disgusting Cowballs fan got the boot.

11-08-2017 11:05 AM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(11-08-2017 12:57 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Well tonight is turning out to be a very good one for the Democrats. Maybe it will motivate them to pull together in a united front to keep the wave rolling?

This morning, every major media outlet covered yesterday's elections...except for Fox which covered highlights from last year's presidential election.28

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
11-08-2017 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

(11-08-2017 12:36 PM)Duchess Wrote:  This morning, every major media outlet covered yesterday's elections...except for Fox which covered highlights from last year's presidential election.28

If that's the case, it's sad. All the major news networks should cover major news (even if they put their own spin on it).

Immediately after Gillespie lost by nearly 10 points in Virginia's gubernatorial election, Trump tweeted from Asia in attempt to distance himself from the Republican he'd endorsed and for whom he'd made robocalls leading up to the vote.

Trump tweet:
Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for. Don’t forget, Republicans won 4 out of 4 House seats, and with the economy doing record numbers, we will continue to win, even bigger than before!

I did see that FOX online media covered that: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/...ce-me.html

Yesterday it was kinda funny to read Trump Jr.'s tweets encouraging Virginians to get out and vote for Gillespie on Wednesday (though the election was on Tuesday). He did it twice.

11-08-2017 01:14 PM

Duchess Away
Administrator

(11-08-2017 01:14 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  Yesterday it was kinda funny to read Trump Jr.'s tweets encouraging Virginians to get out and vote for Gillespie on Wednesday (though the election was on Tuesday). He did it twice.

It was fricken hilarious. hah

...and this morning when trump threw Gillespie under the bus was pretty damn funny too.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
11-08-2017 01:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply Reply

HairOfTheDog Offline

One day short of Trump's 2016 presidential victory anniversary, Democrats really dominated the regular elections and special elections last night. They're pledging determination to keep getting high numbers of voters to the polls and taking majority of the House next year.

The graphic summary of last night's wins below is practically all Dem blue.

[Image: 462373C500000578-5060857-image-a-6_1510158106408.jpg]
(sorry it blows the margins; best viewed at 90%)

I read Joe Biden is releasing a book about the last couple of years, including his decision not to run for president in 2016 and how the Clintons affected it.

Biden also seems to indicate he may well have run in 2016 if Obama had thought he could beat Hillary in the primaries.

He doesn't seem to be ruling out a 2020 run. I don't know if that would be a good thing for the party or not.

Refs:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/books...e-dad.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...Trump.html

11-08-2017 08:19 PM

Tammy75 Offline
Mocker

(11-03-2017 08:10 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 07:49 PM)Tammy75 Wrote:  I think we need another Kennedy in the White House.

Which one Tammy?

Joe III would be a nice start.

11-08-2017 08:45 PM

Maggot Offline
Supermod

It's good that not one party dominates the field. It flops back and forth all the time Dems/Pubs Pubs/Dems Its good really.

11-08-2017 09:14 PM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(11-08-2017 09:14 PM)Maggot Wrote:  It's good that not one party dominates the field. It flops back and forth all the time Dems/Pubs Pubs/Dems Its good really.

Yep, I think it's good too Maggot. It's dangerous having one party with too much power.

I hope the Democrats really can keep the win wave going into 2018 and regain the House majority.

Having a split majority Congress would be good for the country, especially during President Trump's time in office, in my opinion.

11-08-2017 09:32 PM

BigMark Offline
Mocker

[Image: tenor.gif]

11-09-2017 12:59 AM

HairOfTheDog Offline

(11-08-2017 08:45 PM)Tammy75 Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 08:10 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 07:49 PM)Tammy75 Wrote:  I think we need another Kennedy in the White House.

Which one Tammy?

Joe III would be a nice start.

I know the young congressman was mentioned as the possible Democratic candidate for governor of Massachusetts in next year's election. He said he wasn't interested in running for another office.

But...........that certainly doesn't mean he won't change his mind and try to run for the highest office.

11-09-2017 11:55 AM